DoW3 new footage

Dineil
Level 2

Re: DoW3 new footage

Postby Dineil » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 8:57 pm

Latest stream ppl! For the life of me i cannot like that guy playing the game :p
https://www.twitch.tv/relicentertainment/v/83954653
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 9:03 pm

I am thoroughly unenthused by the new stream. The low-detail cartoon-like art style, the style of base building, the general combat dynamics... it isn't what I am looking for in a 40k game.

I know its alpha footage, but unless they are going to thoroughly revamp the game in the way the original starcraft alpha was I don't expect to enjoy this game.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:11 pm

Dineil wrote:Latest stream ppl! For the life of me i cannot like that guy playing the game :p

Indeed he's extremely uncharismatic. Terrible PR guy.

Ugly, boring, slow speaking, no life to him and comes across as very pretentious and condescending. GJ Relic.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:24 pm

Relic plz hire me, I can PR the shit out of anything. :(
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:26 pm

Atlas wrote:Relic plz hire me, I can PR the shit out of anything. :(

It's true though. You would be a million times better Atlas.

See guys? I'm not just a pessimistic cunt. I'm just blunt and honest ;)
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:59 pm

Torpid wrote:See guys? I'm not just a pessimistic cunt. I'm just blunt and honest
LIES :)

It's funny, when I look at the portrait of Gabriel Angelos, I can't stop thinking he's a Locust from Gears of War.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 11:12 pm

Wise Windu wrote:
It's funny, when I look at the portrait of Gabriel Angelos, I can't stop thinking he's a Locust from Gears of War.

lmao you're right he has a theron look about him! Didn't see that before.
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:02 am

Wise Windu wrote:
Torpid wrote:See guys? I'm not just a pessimistic cunt. I'm just blunt and honest

me who has played thousands of hours on gears of war i agree
"Does the Seer see its own doom!?" -Tau commander
2torpid4u: You still haven't sucked my big pink nipples Agu :(
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:20 am

Aguxyz wrote:
Wise Windu wrote:

me who has played thousands of hours on gears of war i agree

Gearstealers confirmed for secret enemy

No wonder Gabriel could do what a Primach could not, he's not even of the same base species
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:27 am

Gabriel reminds me more of this tbh

enasni127
Level 2

Postby enasni127 » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 8:11 am

Really, all of Phil Boulle's points were wrong and/or weak.

If you break it down on the main things then he said something like that:

- the game must be ugly and oversimplified to attract more idiots (especially the SC 2 community)
- the W40k fanbase is a bunch of fools with all their talking about an authentic and lore-friendly game AND they are too few in numbers to garantuee a financial success so shit on them.
- analysis by none-warhammer fans have shown that lore is unimportant and realistic terrain and unit behaviour is too complex for the major 12 year old customer.
- the game must be a "straight forward experience" which means just shitting out units and let them push down their tight lane against the enemy's forces.
- Tactics and decission making is not wanted anymore.

Torpid wrote:
Dineil wrote:Latest stream ppl! For the life of me i cannot like that guy playing the game :p

Indeed he's extremely uncharismatic. Terrible PR guy.

Ugly, boring, slow speaking, no life to him and comes across as very pretentious and condescending. GJ Relic.

Yeah, but only because he knows how bad this terrible game will be ;)

Rage taken out- Atlas
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 9:27 am

Skip to the bottom of the post if you don't want to hear my talk about how my mod is what i thought dow3 would be.

well they certainly have allowed tactics to be a thing but if there is no good way to preserve your units there is no way this can be considered an RTS game.

There is no game where you just throw units away for no reason (except if you need to free up some pop) and that's all i see happening here. I just envision a gigantic slug fest that happens once every 10 minutes in pvp since everyone will only fight when they have all their shit.

Now there is a possibility there will be a small amount of competitiveness for 1v1 (since dow1 have a competitive nature in 1v1 although it was way too reliant on what race you are playing and what race your enemy is) but as for 2v2 or 3v3, there won't be.

Now i am a fan of very complex games that allows the player to make their army feel like their own. I wanted a player to have multiple options to reach a certain goal. And those options would differ on how well they dealt with a problem.

The mod i made is a basic way of what i thought/wanted dow3 would be. Mainly Point control where some points would allow support for a numbered amount of buildings that do things and buildings would take up their own pop count and not exceed a certain number so people didn't focus on base building but utilized it as an advantage.

Now I think they were kinda successful on steering away from base building by keeping that aspect small scale. And allowing people to build units over them. That i think they have thought about and was done correctly. But the point system is not a good choice because it allows a camping nature for the most part and small scale skirmishes which is what they wanted to avoid. I cannot for the life of me think a player will go and take his/her whole army to attack a point that is away from their base only to be counter attacked there, lose the game or at least be dealt a sever blow to the point where they concede or quit.

Because from what i see that's how i would play the game. Would not leave my base for the life of me until i know their main force is out of the way and then id push toward their main stronghold and destroy their buildings. Because guess what. That's how I played dow1. Fighting will NEVER be done in pvp for the majority of the game except in 1v1. And If a game were fighting cannot be played competitively outside of 1v1 i don't want it.

Now i tried to avoid this is due to the VP control game mode so they HAVE to move or they lose the game. I also places the forward base points somewhat away from other resource points. I placed capturable turrets so they can be used to both defend the forward base or push against it. I added points that can damage the resource rate of a req point. That same point can be destroyed to keep your enemy from having it or if you can hold it really damage your enemies req income. I added supply lines that increase or decrease your req income based on who controls what points near it to try and get people to move or exploit the feature and damage your enemy economically without fighting. I added valuable point to do certain things for the player that controls them that could help a push or a defence, help a player gather information or gain a more favorable eco lead.

Everything i did was to try and get a player to not sit still and remain camping a specific spot. I didn't remove that option but i also gave the other player an option of not facing you. Flanking is a larger factor. Ambushing is a larger factor. Macro is a larger factor.

That is what i wanted from dow3. A bit larger battle (which is what i attempted, not sure if i was successful until i get more pvp games going) more strategy. Better UI to help with selecting building (which i actually like how they did that). I wanted squad plans to you can push a button a a squad will do something on its own . Like I want a squad plan that says "follow and guard squad number 1" so help with macro (since in the mod you can bind
multiple squads to the nub pad although it is a bit buggy) and have the AI know how to use abilities when to help with micro. And then have a player select a squad and any movement from the hero overrides the squad plan.

Now I hope my speculation on the dow3 pvp will be wrong though.

Bottom line:

I get to save 60(?) dollars when this comes out.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 9:51 am

enasni127 wrote:Really, all of Phil Boulle's points were wrong and/or weak.

- the game must be ugly and oversimplified to attract more idiots (especially the SC 2 community)
- the W40k fanbase is a bunch of fools with all their talking about an authentic and lore-friendly game AND they are too few in numbers to garantuee a financial success so shit on them.
- analysis by none-warhammer fans have shown that lore is unimportant and realistic terrain and unit behaviour is too complex for the major 12 year old customer.
- the game must be a "straight forward experience" which means just shitting out units and let them push down their tight lane against the enemy's forces.

Conclusion:
Fuck the community, fuck DoW1/2, fuck thinking, fuck strategy and make a flashy and ridiculously childish shit-game for braindead idiots. GG

Hilarious when SC2 has a much higher skill cap than DoW2 and actually pushes you to the limit. Lets have an over complex game so that people wont be bothered to play it but it will stroke your ego thinking you are on of the elite people in the world, i might even say the 5%. Thats some teenage angst right there.
They are a bunch of idiots who dont know what they want and will never be grateful for anything you make for them, since they have this form on entitlement issue hanging over them.
The lore has so many plot holes, contradictions and generally most of it is really bad, but you keep making poor excuses like lore or moba to justify your dislike for the game. Good thing such a complex game like DoW2 has the amazing barely functioning cover mechanics and the ''realistic'' unit movement where one of your squad model can be stuck behind a bit of scenery 30 meters away, but its waaay more realistic! Good thing pathing doesnt mind these kinds of things and it works as intended.
You mean like your favourite thing when you play 3v3s in DoW2? Shitting out a few units and pushing your lane on August Desert Gate or w/e. Or having the amazing experience of running around capping points all game. Thats some really good gaming experience.
Any RTS rewards decision making. I want you to go into any RTS and not make a decision through the entire game, please post it here, to shatter my noob filled scrub mind about this EPIC decision making that DoW2 only has and can provide. Same goes with tactics, or yeah i forget that choosing on how to engage with your enemy is only a DoW2 thing silly me.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 10:13 am

And before someone jumps on Carnevour as per usual, read the tone and language of the quoted post because honestly that set the tone for replies.

It just depresses me, because basic respect is lacking so much online (speaking more to enasni here) and then people wonder why developers never post anywhere. They're humans, they should be afforded some kind of basic respect. Nobody here appears to be a games designer (a mod designer, at best), and while criticism is definitely a good thing, repeatedly talking about being "shat on" is useless and gets nobody anywhere.
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 10:14 am

Alright, lay off each other please.

Afterall, everyone knows Arch Warhammer is the only person who can have an inflated, top of the world opinion here :]

The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 10:24 am

Swiftsabre wrote:Alright, lay off each other please.

Afterall, everyone knows Arch Warhammer is the only person who can have an inflated, top of the world opinion here :]

I disagree he has a very biased smug opinion. Or maybe its his accent. He has the issue of talking about pointless things like sync kills and everything being dumb down while overlooking other aspects of the game.
Edtjuh
Level 1

Postby Edtjuh » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 11:15 am

When I saw the first DoW3 trailer, I was hyped as fucked.

Seeing the first pictures, I was a bit disappointed but kept my hopes up that the game would look good in motion.

Now that I see the gameplay and the logic behind these decisions, in the interviews that have been posted, my hype is gone.

This game is not what I expected and the whole: graphics + satisfaction + atmosphere is just gone. I planned on shelling out a new pc for this and play like it was DoW1 and 2, but the gameplay that was shown just saved me a whole lot of money. I'll probably wait till it is on sale and play it in a year when all the expansion packs are out and such.

However, there are just too many dumbed down things (from small to big) that just make no sense.
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 11:32 am

Carnevour wrote:
Swiftsabre wrote:Alright, lay off each other please.

I disagree he has a very biased smug opinion. Or maybe its his accent. He has the issue of talking about pointless things like sync kills and everything being dumb down while overlooking other aspects of the game.

It was a joke. Arch Warhammer's opinion videos are toxic and misleading, but I was trying to provide an alternative venting place for the people who want to do it here.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:05 pm

Swiftsabre is legitimately better at jokes than I am.

AND HI ED HI HI.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:19 pm

Internet sarcasm is still too hard to understand even in 2016. :/
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 1:18 pm

Edtjuh wrote:When I saw the first DoW3 trailer, I was hyped as fucked.

Seeing the first pictures, I was a bit disappointed but kept my hopes up that the game would look good in motion.

Now that I see the gameplay and the logic behind these decisions, in the interviews that have been posted, my hype is gone.

This game is not what I expected and the whole: graphics + satisfaction + atmosphere is just gone. I planned on shelling out a new pc for this and play like it was DoW1 and 2, but the gameplay that was shown just saved me a whole lot of money. I'll probably wait till it is on sale and play it in a year when all the expansion packs are out and such.

However, there are just too many dumbed down things (from small to big) that just make no sense.

+1
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 1:43 pm

The most sad thing was that i wrote fuck and got banned for 600 seconds when they Start to read the comments ... moobot i will get your ass next time ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) but anyways We need a professional warhammer player who test the alpha to talk some REAL stuft having more knowledge of the Past rts-games of relic and not some developer that played the Mission sometimes but overall would lose to a guy with 50 h :/
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 1:47 pm

The Licking Boogyman wrote:The most sad thing was that i wrote fuck and got banned for 600 seconds when they Start to read the comments ... moobot i will get your ass next time ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) but anyways We need a professional warhammer player who test the alpha to talk some REAL stuft having more knowledge of the Past rts-games of relic and not some developer that played the Mission sometimes but overall would lose to a guy with 50 h :/

You mean Caeltos who generaly likes the game? There are nor Pros in DoW2 there never were. Pros are the ones who make money from playing a game so the game needs to be an esport in the first place. Also some will say yay the others will say nay. A lot of people have their own ideas.
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 1:56 pm

Well say just ppl who are good in warhammer (ಠ_ಠ)
Edtjuh
Level 1

Postby Edtjuh » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 2:41 pm

Carnevour wrote:There are nor Pros in DoW2 there never were. Pros are the ones who make money from playing a game so the game needs to be an esport in the first place.

Ah-- that was fun ... for real though, this game had pro's. This game had money, events and everything. Doesn't necessarily need to be in the millions, but it was there. Besides, for a niche hardcore game, I would say it had a good run. The last good tournament was the French Cup and that one had almost every remaining pro participate, before Relic decided to abondon the game with that shitty patch.
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 3:11 pm

Well think about dow2 would be like as popular as csgo and wouldn't have a cancer community with that popularity which is actually impossible PogChamp ... Like i would have visited a tournament anytime ( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ) but for real, i never imagined there would be something like a French-cup for dow2 though
Last edited by The Licking Boogyman on Wed 17 Aug, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 3:13 pm

Edtjuh wrote:
Carnevour wrote:There are nor Pros in DoW2 there never were. Pros are the ones who make money from playing a game so the game needs to be an esport in the first place.

Ah-- that was fun ... for real though, this game had pro's. This game had money, events and everything. Doesn't necessarily need to be in the millions, but it was there. Besides, for a niche hardcore game, I would say it had a good run. The last good tournament was the French Cup and that one had almost every remaining pro participate, before Relic decided to abondon the game with that shitty patch.

With all due respects Ed this game died in the first months as an esport. We had like what a couple of events at the start of DoW2, and when everyone realised what a train wreck it was, it died as an esport. But thats a topic for another time.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 3:18 pm

The Licking Boogyman wrote:Well think about dow2 would be like as popular as csgo and wouldn't have a cancer community PogChamp ... Like i would have visited a tournament anytime ( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ) but for real, i never imagined there would be something like a French-cup for dow2 though

Every community has cancer, its the internet baby. Some community have less cancer some more. I have no idea i play CS:GO regularly and rarely i find absolutely cancer games where you get 2-3 ragers or kids. Depends of how the community deals with its cancer and if the pros and content providers set a good example. Look at Dota2 now that cancer in its pure form and pros tribute to it immensely. When you have someone raging and calling gg at the first minute and then losing on purpose you know that there is something wrong. As it stand it depends on the community whether it wants to be a cesspool or not. DoW2 community was actually the later, with words like ''pride posting'', constant flaming of each other and whine about balance.
enasni127
Level 2

Postby enasni127 » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 3:26 pm

Black Relic wrote:But the point system is not a good choice because it allows a camping nature for the most part and small scale skirmishes which is what they wanted to avoid. I cannot for the life of me think a player will go and take his/her whole army to attack a point that is away from their base only to be counter attacked there, lose the game or at least be dealt a sever blow to the point where they concede or quit.

I think a point system is a very good idea cause it FORCES people to actually get out of their base and care about map control!

I could never accept another fucking shit game like SC 2 which rewards laming around in your base, get some buildings up sim city style and then decide the game exactly at minute XY with some stupid push.

Carnevour wrote:
enasni127 wrote:Really, all of Phil Boulle's points were wrong and/or weak.

Conclusion:
Fuck the community, fuck DoW1/2, fuck thinking, fuck strategy and make a flashy and ridiculously childish shit-game for braindead idiots. GG

Hilarious when SC2 has a much higher skill cap than DoW2 and actually pushes you to the limit. Lets have an over complex game so that people wont be bothered to play it but it will stroke your ego thinking you are on of the elite people in the world, i might even say the 5%. Thats some teenage angst right there.
They are a bunch of idiots who dont know what they want and will never be grateful for anything you make for them, since they have this form on entitlement issue hanging over them.
The lore has so many plot holes, contradictions and generally most of it is really bad, but you keep making poor excuses like lore or moba to justify your dislike for the game. Good thing such a complex game like DoW2 has the amazing barely functioning cover mechanics and the ''realistic'' unit movement where one of your squad model can be stuck behind a bit of scenery 30 meters away, but its waaay more realistic! Good thing pathing doesnt mind these kinds of things and it works as intended.
You mean like your favourite thing when you play 3v3s in DoW2? Shitting out a few units and pushing your lane on August Desert Gate or w/e. Or having the amazing experience of running around capping points all game. Thats some really good gaming experience.
Any RTS rewards decision making. I want you to go into any RTS and not make a decision through the entire game, please post it here, to shatter my noob filled scrub mind about this EPIC decision making that DoW2 only has and can provide. Same goes with tactics, or yeah i forget that choosing on how to engage with your enemy is only a DoW2 thing silly me.

ok, i will put it even more simple: SC 2 is a game in which a bunch of marines can shoot down a battle cruiser from the sky. The whole SC2 armor system is crap!

and just to say it, i played a lot of SC 2 when it came out and ruled the diamond league for weeks. I also achieved the second place in the go 4 sc 2 cup twice, and i still say SC 2 is a very bad game and has a very bad design. the whole counter system is crap and the armor system is even worse. SC 2 is about stupid timing pushes and loooots of macro pumping.

Really, i'm not half as good in DoW 2 as in SC 2 and i still think DoW 2 is by far the better game
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 3:40 pm

Don't you guys remember all those WW2 documentaries where they show the Allies capturing all the cover bubbles on the Normandy beaches?

And the stream was incredibly disappointing indeed, when asked if dreads could switch around to ranged weapons, they completely dodged the question--> "we're bringing in the classic DoW dread oh and there will be ven dreads too"... wtf? Does this guy not remember hellfire dreads? How can it be so hard to give a yes/no about what kind of units are showing up?

Besides that you don't have to be a game designer to criticize a game, same thing with food or politics, you don't have to be a chef to say Taco Bell is terrible, you don't have to be a politician to say Donald Trump is terrible, etc etc

And about the cover/graphics/art style, 1000 posts have already been made about that. Seriously even Super Smash has a better graphics/art style...

And where the fuck are the orks? Do they even have models yet?

Return to “General Discussion”