DoW3 new footage

Dark Riku
Level 5

DoW3 new footage

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 3:02 pm

Makes me sad about the basebuilding. Looks like annihilation only atm??
Will have to see once the game is finally out for final judgment.
It's not looking like everything I personally wanted for DoW3 :( We'll see.
Cyris
Level 4

Re: DoW3 new footage

Postby Cyris » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 3:27 pm

Thanks for the link. Good video.

I do not like the game I'm seeing here. All the tedious base building and node upgrading whose lack drew me to DoW2 is back. I also don't see any signs of retreat or the importance of unit preservation, and the squad count looks real high.

These are things that some people like, but not me. We'll see in time what comes of it.
Last edited by Cyris on Tue 09 Aug, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 3:31 pm

Just when I thought they couldn't fuck around with the lascannon anymore, they do that AND apply it to the laspred

Sniper scouts are a whole different unit separate from vanilla scouts now?

And correct me if I'm wrong but either I saw no suppression mechanic when the devastators were around or the entire thing was bloated with effects to the point I couldn't see it.
Soberson
Level 2

Postby Soberson » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 3:59 pm

Still waiting for a whole match footage (which isn't coming out for another 6 months judging by past videos schedule)
#IGisFINE
Guy gamer.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 4:01 pm

predators look really... round? Almost cartoony and not like i would expect predators to look like 0_o
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 4:35 pm

Those lascannon shots better be place holders until they make those tracers better. Because atm i wouldn't get the game at all for Lascannons that fire like lazer tag.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 6:48 pm

Not a fan of the void ray... I mean lascannons, at all. Hopefully it will change.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 7:23 pm

What I saw looked pretty good actually. Seems like a pretty natural evolution from what we had in DoW1 and DoW2.

Apparently suppression is coming back more in the form of a slow than an actual status from what the guy said in the video. The only real curious omission I saw from the roster was no razorbacks, but I can't remember if they already mentioned it in a previous video.

Basebuilding is pretty darn basic in this game from the looks of it. You got what, like 4 structures total not counting resource points? Starcraft 2 this is not.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:52 pm

Suprisingly, our community can even get bigger after this game. :shock:
Ordie
Level 1

Postby Ordie » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:58 pm

Black Relic wrote:Those lascannon shots better be place holders until they make those tracers better. Because atm i wouldn't get the game at all for Lascannons that fire like lazer tag.

They remind me of Multilasers to be honest, lots of little blasts.

+1 to Cyris' comment. Well said.
Chaplain of the Reasonable Marines. -SEMPER RATIO!
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 11:48 pm

Well, at least they've started tinkering with Gabriels voice back to the original. So people can be happy about that.

On a personal note, I just think it keeps looking better and better, as to be expected with a game that's continous in WIP. The Lascannons changes, I can get behind. They seem to strive towards more "consistent" damage, rather than "burst" damage type of units, at least let's what I'm making out of this.

The voices seems pretty good to me as well, but it's piled in with a placeholder music from Dawn of War 2, so things are still not 100% set-in stone there, but I'm anxious to see how it all unfolds together. The Landspeeder is a welcoming addition (at first glance) and how its mechanics work, it seems they're taking some steps forward in terms of how vehicles are handled. However, with no current "means" of transportation like the original Razorback, it'll be missed. It seems to be such a staple vehicle for Space Marines from DOW1(Rhino) or DOW2s which had just been classic amazing unit, and now it's just all gone. Mixed bag overall, but maybe they're putting more empthasize on the Drop-Pod features to allow for transportation, rather than force factions to build transport for it. Say' Eldar, can't use drop pods - but they can use vehicles to transport, to give a sense of "mobile" army. Whereas if the Orks will have it or not, I dunno.

Still happy that the rubbish DOW2 cover isn't coming back in any shape or form, and I hope it stays that way.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 4:17 am

Mixed feelings. Things like the speeder being useful in the late game as sneaky AV makes me at least somewhat hopeful that there will be things other than head on meat grinder fights. Because otherwise, there doesn't appear to be any emphasis on unit preservation aside from early game map control, which is kind of disappointing. But the amount of AoE barrage abilities presented and the apparent fragility of infantry (yes, WIP) makes me wonder just how much sneaky tactics will actually impact the game. Will sneaking around back to take out vehicles really mean much if the enemy is just throwing their units to their frontlines anyway? Hard to tell without any insight on how economy scales from the start of a game.

These concerns rely on map design, too. The map in the video kind of looks like a campaign map. I wish they'd show a multiplayer map, at least some kind of WIP layout of one, to show how points might be spread about the map. Point by point skirmishes and capping orders are some of the more interesting points of contention and unit control in DoW2.

Base building seems simplistic, which is good imo. Not a fan of it personally.

Going to assume all of the visual effects are WIP, no judgement there yet.
karnakkardak
Level 2

Postby karnakkardak » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 7:57 am

i notice it, base building like coh2.(but tech separated) and node, give req&power& structure seems beacon (maybe reinforcement building) i cannot guess retreat or nope.
Some effect are good (sniper) but some worse (lascannon, marine's weapon fire motion <whats lol, eldar motion really good and sharp>)
Some unit doesnt make in basic unit. This is will be wworring-fucking DLC. Ex. Space marine without landlaider or centurion or terminator (would be "elite unit") will be sad.
Pov screen is show us too small(this is great problem which mean harder to multi-unit control.)
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Fri 12 Aug, 2016 5:58 am

I am keen to play but a bit disappointed they haven't taken the positive lessons from DOW2
-- Base building would be better if it was just call ins without the servitors
-- Capture points look far too complicated. I prefer listening posts without guns
-- Speeder looks ridiculously OP with melta (speeder beats vehicles, what sort of balance is that?) but hella cool with its drift turning

Edit - also the models and animations are really meh, plasticky 1980s vibe. I really would have preferred dow2 models with reskin and new textures. I didn't notice it so much with previous preview la but really noticeable in this one. Ah, who cares I am always to frantic to really notice the graphics in game
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Fri 12 Aug, 2016 4:06 pm

I really really really don't like the look of SM buildings, they look to round and not gothic enough, preds look like toys as well, the rest is the same as old footage.
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 3:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXU3kRKbWc

New unit - Shadow Spectres for the Eldar revealed. http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Shadow_Spectres

Oh my god, I've been DYING to see this unit come into Dawn of War. I've been wanting to have this unit in DOW2 SO BAD

Also, some misc improvements to the UI, detailing the units statistics up-front. (YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!)

Wraithblades are also sighted towards the end of the video. (Miniature Wraithlords in a squad of 3?)
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 4:37 pm

Okay, definitely a fan of that minimap UI.

And yes, Wraithblades. Appears to be a squad of three, just like regular Wraithguard. Very similar to the other loadout options for squads (Scout Marines, etc).
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 6:12 pm

KanKrusha wrote:I am keen to play but a bit disappointed they haven't taken the positive lessons from DOW2
-- Base building would be better if it was just call ins without the servitors
-- Capture points look far too complicated. I prefer listening posts without guns

100% agree with these two. I do not like playing sim-city in my territory control game, please keep it minimal. Keep my APM on the battlefield and out of the base building mini-game.

Caeltos wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXU3kRKbWc

Great video.

-- Bullet points the presenter gives as positives I see as negatives - Higher model counts, more squads, wargear options locked on purchase instead of upgrades. These are all things that I think DoW2 got right, and collectively represent moving away from RTS mechanics that I prefer. This feels more like the meat-grinder SC2 style combat then squad preservation and upgrading, and I do not like that direction.
-- Really enjoy the MOBA inspired skill loops on the ELITEs. They all sounds like relatively simple decision trees with interesting options.
-- Drop pods look amazingly versatile and fun.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 6:48 pm

Base-building is an inherent part of RTS gaming and was heavily-featured in vDoW.

This isn't going to be DoW II. The sooner people start adjusting their expectations to meet this reality, the faster people can decide what is or isn't worth their time and money.

Heck, I'm not a huge fan of basebuilding. I used to sit on DoWSanc and argue for ages with people over how "vDoW was / wasn't amazing because RTS games have to have bases". But there comes a time where you have to accept that for an upcoming game you might drop money on.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 7:54 pm

Gorb wrote:Base-building is an inherent part of RTS gaming and was heavily-featured in vDoW.

And it's the reason I never got into vDoW, and the reason I got into DoW2. (as in, I purchased the vanilla game, but didn't keep up with the expansions)

Gorb wrote:This isn't going to be DoW II. The sooner people start adjusting their expectations to meet this reality, the faster people can decide what is or isn't worth their time and money.

Good point, I should stop sharing my expectations and opinions. I should just keep all my thoughts to myself, not post links to videos, discussions of things I like and don't like. I need to never give feedback until the final product arrives. Must keep in mind that developers hate feedback, buzz or excitement.

Gorb wrote:Heck, I'm not a huge fan of basebuilding. I used to sit on DoWSanc and argue for ages with people over how "vDoW was / wasn't amazing because RTS games have to have bases".

That sounds like your baggage, and I'm sorry you had to suffer through that.

Gorb wrote:But there comes a time where you have to accept that for an upcoming game you might drop money on.

What kind of nonsense are you getting at. I accepted day one of the announcement trailer that no matter what DoW3 was, I'd be buying it. I have faith in Relic to give me adequate value for my dollar, I enjoy the 40K universe and I'm excited to try out a new DoW with and around some of the people I have gotten to know from ELITE. It may come to pass that DoW3 is not much fun for me, which will only mean I don't continue purchasing MTX and DLC or whatever. It is very unlikely that I will regret giving Relic money, as even if the basebuilding or other factors leads me to not likign the game, I will have supported the continued financial viability of both RTS and 40k video games.

But I refuse to accept being told to keep my opinions to myself.
fankater
Level 2

Postby fankater » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 8:36 pm

For the Emperor skurwysyny !
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 9:19 pm

Tactical squad upgrades change weapons on all models to selected weapon confirmed; you will have all plasma tactical squads.

I've been reading and watching all that's coming out about this game and it's feeling less and less like WH40K and DOW.

ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 9:38 pm

re: lascannons

I believe they mentioned on the official forums somewhere that they were going to change the lascannon so it is less "continuous beam" and more "single cannon shot".

edit: ok, I see that this is the new and improved version. It starts off as a tiny rapid fire pew pew laser and... ramps up into a continuous beam. Huh.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 10:05 pm

Cyris wrote:
Gorb wrote:This isn't going to be DoW II. The sooner people start adjusting their expectations to meet this reality, the faster people can decide what is or isn't worth their time and money.

Good point, I should stop sharing my expectations and opinions. I should just keep all my thoughts to myself, not post links to videos, discussions of things I like and don't like. I need to never give feedback until the final product arrives. Must keep in mind that developers hate feedback, buzz or excitement.
Gorb wrote:But there comes a time where you have to accept that for an upcoming game you might drop money on.

What kind of nonsense are you getting at. I accepted day one of the announcement trailer that no matter what DoW3 was, I'd be buying it. I have faith in Relic to give me adequate value for my dollar, I enjoy the 40K universe and I'm excited to try out a new DoW with and around some of the people I have gotten to know from ELITE. It may come to pass that DoW3 is not much fun for me, which will only mean I don't continue purchasing MTX and DLC or whatever. It is very unlikely that I will regret giving Relic money, as even if the basebuilding or other factors leads me to not likign the game, I will have supported the continued financial viability of both RTS and 40k video games.

But I refuse to accept being told to keep my opinions to myself.

Never said anything about you keeping your opinions to yourself. But it's obvious through your posts that you're disappointed in aspects of the game, and presumably (assumption, sorry), you'd prefer it if they changed.

Mechanics of that size aren't going to change. You might see FX being iterated on. You might see texture or animation work. You will see polish, undoubtably. But a core mechanic the size of base-building? It's here to stay. It was simply me giving you advice, because I see it a lot. That viewpoint. The constant repetition that X sucks just in case Relic didn't hear it the first time. Or first three times.

I was recommending that you accept this, because it seems like you (and others) were having trouble with it. I sat through the "oh my god three-man Tactical Squads the game is ruined and nobody is going to buy it" threads when DoW II was being previewed. I'm a lot older now thankfully, we all are. I just try in my usual way of trying to get people to actually debate better things than an endless chorus of repetition on the same points.

You guys are massive DoW II fans. You like the tactical focus, the lack of monotonous base-building. I like all of that too! DoW II is still my favourite DoW game! But DoW III has base-building so people have to make the decision to buy it or not, instead of expecting or hoping that Relic might tear out that feature. I used to crusade a lot, when I was younger. YOU MUST ENJOY THIS, etc. Now I just tell people to vote with their wallets, and you still are. Which is great!

Anyhow I'm rambling, which I do quite a bit. You won't regret buying DoW III, but maybe there are areas of the game that deserve your criticism (because they're more likely to change) than the done and dusted topic of base-building.
darthmisery
Level 1

Postby darthmisery » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 11:30 pm

I think at the end of the day, I play and will play all of the Dow games on their own merits. Of course I have my favourite parts in each one and some of Dow 3 looks a bit dodgy ATM. But if I don't end up liking it , I'll stick to elite. I just noticed there's no sync kills either, that sux , oh well.
fankater
Level 2

Postby fankater » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 9:03 am

Another one:
For the Emperor skurwysyny !
Dineil
Level 2

Postby Dineil » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:30 am

Take this from someone with a degree in journalism, those 2 interviews were awful. The one asking the questions was practically playing down on the community concerns, passing easy questions to the interviewee while stating that he doesn't agree with the fans. I mean these were some of the more vocal concerns the community had and the guy doing the interview had a very good chance to represent and give voice to these concerns but no, he had to say i do not agree with what ppl think on every question softening it as much as possible. Also the interviewee hit a bad note with me. I don't know but it felt like he was mocking me with his answers and that he didn't much care for the game but for the paycheck, but this part is just personal opinion.
Soberson
Level 2

Postby Soberson » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 2:49 pm

I'll pick it up a month after release on 75% discount

Dev said what I was deeply afraid of: that "EARLY ALPHA FOOTAGE" line meant jack shit, videos presented were exactly what devs wanted us to expect in final product
#IGisFINE
Guy gamer.
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 2:50 pm

Crewfinity wrote:predators look really... round? Almost cartoony and not like i would expect predators to look like 0_o

Well maybe they want to bounce some loota tank shells or some rockets ( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ) more rounder more better
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .Also the lascannons "So we listened to the community about the lascannons" i was like mhhhh bursting i guess its k (turning into a constant beam) ..... you sneaky fuckers
┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)
┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Fight me sega-relic pigs
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 7:41 pm

Alright that's it, the moment he talked about DoW2 on minimum settings getting muddy to defend the new graphic style is the moment I absolutely knew without doubt that he was being dishonest. My potato of a computer forces me to play at minimum EVERYTHING, including resolution, and not even at 30fps most of the time to add insult to the injury, and I can still play exceptionally well and get all the information I need to do what I need to do. Never have I asked myself "What's going on?" while playing, only "How can I counter this?". Hell, the reason I fear the battlewagon is because its shot ability causes my game to drop to 5fps with those particles, and a sentinel smashing through a wall or destroyable object does the same due to the smoke it creates.

I'm running out of reasons to believe this isn't a cashgrab. The pandering to the MOBA demographic was a dead giveaway since the start.

Return to “General Discussion”