Level 3

Re: Extended Gameplay Video with Dev Commentary

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 4:37 pm

Well you are a Pokémon ... You should know that
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 5:48 pm

Torpid wrote:And OMG I am dying for pokémon sun and moon. I NEED IT.
Does it look good? I don't have a DS any more, but I'd definitely get one of the special edition ones with red/blue pre-loaded... if it were possible to even find one at retail price...
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 5:58 pm

Yeah I've gotten really tired of having to buy a new DS like every 2 Pokemon games, so OpieOP
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 6:32 pm

When mods derail a thread.

The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 7:43 pm

Okay, brilliant. Game designer come here to see what we all think of the trailer. Next minute Gabriel Angelos has a lightning attack. And a tail.

In the grim dark universe every one is really cute with big eyes
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 8:40 pm

Grimdark Pokemon with spells, violence and Poké-chunks
Give pls
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 9:09 pm

Atlas wrote:Yeah I've gotten really tired of having to buy a new DS like every 2 Pokemon games, so OpieOP

Just sell your old one on Craigslist, or whatever your local selling-things-place is called.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 9:15 pm

Wise Windu wrote:
Give pls

Pokemon yellow lavender town was prett grimdark, with the spirits of pokemons burned alive.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 10:04 pm

Wise Windu wrote:
Give pls

Just play Pokemon GO in Detroit.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 10:32 pm

Wise Windu wrote:
Torpid wrote:And OMG I am dying for pokémon sun and moon. I NEED IT.
Does it look good? I don't have a DS any more, but I'd definitely get one of the special edition ones with red/blue pre-loaded... if it were possible to even find one at retail price...

Well you're gonna need a 3DS.

To be honest not too much has been released about it just yet.

But I'm an absolute pokémon fiend.

And there are many potential new mechanics which get me hyped. And just new mons man. Just new mons.

I really enjoy nuzocking my way through those new pokémon worlds. And Hawaii sounds cool to me.

There's a rumour that there will be a new 'mega-move' feature so to speak. Like the mega-evolution which a pokémon can only use once per battle. Could be interesting...
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 10:48 pm

Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 10:54 pm

Sorcerer wrote:
Wise Windu wrote:
Give pls

Just play Pokemon GO in Detroit.

Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 11:15 pm

The fucking dirt roads and casual palm tree-like-things.

America is just so weird man. Beautiful, but weird.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 1:48 am

I never liked how they did Mega-Evolution. It would have been way better if they used it as a way to buff up Pokemon that needed it. Instead, they just added on to the usual fan favorites. If there were less Mega-Charizards and more Mega-Mawiles then it could have actually changed the Pokemon meta way more and also encouraged team diversity :P
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 1:57 am

Toilailee wrote:Image

Now imagine that in mass scale ... This will be more effective then our atom bombs ... Illuminatis secret weapon to wipe out all humanity i guess ( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 5:42 am

I remember loving Pokemon Red as a kid, but recently tried the last Pokemon game and didn't like it. My main complaints were mega evolution going through the same animation over and over again every single time you fought, how I knew nothing about the Pokemon in the game and how much I hated how easy it was. As a kid I knew most of the pokemon by watching the show and then buying the cards. How do you guys learn them now?
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 7:52 am

Im still waiting for a paedophile incident tied to Pokemon GO. It just begs to happen.

Edit: Just read that some girl found a dead body in the river where a pokemon was supposed to be.
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 10:35 am

Well a boy was killed, when he played Pokémon go and followed a man in the hood.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 2:07 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:I remember loving Pokemon Red as a kid, but recently tried the last Pokemon game and didn't like it. My main complaints were mega evolution going through the same animation over and over again every single time you fought, how I knew nothing about the Pokemon in the game and how much I hated how easy it was. As a kid I knew most of the pokemon by watching the show and then buying the cards. How do you guys learn them now?

The games are super easy if you play them with no caveats.

So you must play them with Caveats.

Playing pokémon X with nuzlocke rules so that you may only catch the first pokémon in each individual route that you come across and if it faints you must release it. Changing your game settings to 'set' battle style instead of 'switch' so that it is like online and you don't get the stupidly OP advantage of being able to switch out your pokémon before your opponent can send their replacement out. Limiting yourslef to only using one or two potions per battle AND never having a pokémon that is a higher level than the highest level mon in the next gym.

Do all that and the game will become a lot more intresting courtesy of you effectively being forced to use random pokémon out of the 700 each playthrough, and a lot more challeneging for obvious reasons. Pokémon X was really cool as there are a lot of random trainers with extremely strong mons that can wipe one of yours pretty swiftly if unprepared. They own you in nuzlockes but obviously they only have one or two mons so in an ordinary playthrough they are forgettable...

It also is the best for nuzlockes since the game has ridiculous variety in each route. There's nearly 8 pokémon on each route and very few duplicates. It's awesome.

I mostly learn new pokémon by first trying them out on pokémon showdown doing competitive battling. Otherwise though playing the game blind with a item use cap per battle and on a set battle style will make a very fun first playthrough imo. And actively try to use any new pokémon you encounter!

Oh and in-game I would just not use mega evolution tbh. You don't need it. It just makes your pokémon OP. Mega-evolution is there for the competitive multiplayer scene mostly and perhaps the elite four battles/gym-leaders.
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 9:26 pm

Alright I'm going to talk about something besides Pokemans now

After seeing the gameplay video I feel somewhat better. They are making the Dawn of War sequel that, let's be honest with ourselves, a large majority of Dawn of War 1 players wanted. There is little of DoW2 in the video that made DoW2 so unique - no retreat/suppression mechanic, no MOBAish hero wargear, presumably less capping. Instead we have basebuilding, listening posts, and big blobs of attack move units. The emphasis on single entity heroes is a bit like DoW2 but hero units were already in DoW1, they just ended up being attached to a squad later in the game. The elite selection mechanic feels a little bit like commander selection in DoW2 but having to buy a commander at some later point in the game is much different than getting one for free right at the beginning.

I'd prefer something more DoW2 style, like something that falls midway between DoW1 and Dow2 rather than what looks like 90% DoW1 and 10% DoW2, but... hey I played quite a bit of DoW1 so I'll take it.

What I really want to see is
1) how squad upgrades work. It looks like upgrades will work more like DoW2 than DoW1 just based on the lack of weapon mixing in the video i.e. no mix of plasma guns and flamethrowers... in fact it looks like plasma guns are a full-squad upgrade. That's good IMHO. Squad upgrades were fiddly as fuck in DoW1, as you'd have to always be watching to replace a special weapon guy if he died.
2) how reinforcement works.
3) how melee works. Please god don't tell me that we're going back to DoW1-style melee where you can just turn around and walk out of combat while the melee squad continually runs up, performs half a swing animation, aborts, runs up, etc.
4) A GODDAMN DIFFERENT MAP JESUS CHRIST. I swear half the reason people are making the starcraft comparisons is because the map is that same featureless blue-gray wasteland tileset that is a hallmark of both Starcraft 1 and 2. Show us a hive city with some gothic architecture or, y'know, something identifiably WH40K.

oh art style still sucks balls
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
Imperator1
Level 2

Postby Imperator1 » Wed 13 Jul, 2016 5:48 pm

Damn pokeymans, and damn how they messed up the lascannon.

No Chaos, no proper lascannons, but rainbows needed to be in?

If I got the Knight mobile pack assest to use in DOW2 I would do better.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Wed 13 Jul, 2016 8:20 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:When mods derail a thread.

Damm it someone wasted time and effort to do this picture.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 11:36 pm

Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 2:30 am

Some more information for those who aren't up to speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnHX9T6DNq4

TL;DR - Deathstorm Droppods + Whirlwind footage.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 4:45 am

Tacs plasma is like the TM plasma gun from DoW 2 where it goes on cooldown after a few seconds. Nothing else new in it.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 4:46 am

Did I hear overheating plasma guns with 10 second cooldown?

Did they seriously give the lascannon constant damage without setup while a plasma gun needs a cooldown of over twice the duration a lascannon takes to shoot again in DoW2?

I honestly don't understand what they're doing, I don't see the purpose.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 5:42 am

Techmarine Plasma Gum in DoW 2 has always been ridiculously powerful. Don't know what you're complaining about :p
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 4:07 pm

The overcharge ability they seem to describe is something you want for maximizing damage output quickly, at the expense at putting your troops at a disadvantage on the long-term of things. I figure it's a risk vs reward element.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 5:23 pm

I felt like calling out damage types was intentionally avoided. Plasma was defined by it's fire/reload cycle, not by saying something like "deals bonus damage to X". Same with las.

I like the showcasing of the firing patterns. The reload/cooldown etc system of DoW2 is unecesarily complicated. A big, in your face "X seconds of firing, then Y seconds of recharge" feels like great feedback, that rewards micro. My gut is 10s is way too long for the fire time, but I'll hold judgement until I can actually play it in context. So much of the game is still unknown.

Thanks for posting this. The best video by far, gives some insight into the designers minds. Clever insertion of counter meme to flying Gabriel ;)
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:01 pm

Also surprise surprise but I like the Lasbeam of Lol and Death. That was a fun SP Campaign ability to use, too (pretty sure it features in just Retribution, though).

Return to “General Discussion”