Not looking forward to DOW3

trainasauruswrecks
Level 0

Not looking forward to DOW3

Postby trainasauruswrecks » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 6:18 am

I haven't even looked at it and I don't really care to. I've been so impressed with the work that the mod community here has put into DOW2 that I find it hard to be enthusiastic about this new release. It has been my experience more and more recently that companies are releasing games as cash grabs and aren't putting the work into the game to make it as honed as it should be. I'd much rather put the money that I COULD spend on this game towards a kickstarter to buy the mods more time to finalize this game, add more factions, etc. Honestly, I'll take gameplay over graphics every time now and this crew has more than proven that they are not only capable but deserved of compensation for their efforts. I just don't want to see this die.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Re: Not looking forward to DOW3

Postby Oddnerd » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 6:25 am

Well, don't give up hope yet, maybe if DOW3 tanks then people will go back to DOWII retribution to get their 40K fix, even if they have to put up with terrible "photo-realistic" graphics.
VenDread
Level 0

Postby VenDread » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 7:11 am

The reason people and obviously myself are upset about is that Relic and Sega and THQ had games like Dow and Coh having a certain feel to it.
Seeing footage of Gabriel running around jumping and spinning like friggen Yoda doesnt fit what we love about previous titles and games (which also were the best selling titles) they are know and loved for.
Those titles like COH 1&2 and DOW 1&2 (especially DOW II) titles had a certain athestic and weight to both games. Hearing a Great unclean one or Carnifex or landraider in the fog of war, seeing the screen shake, the slowness and weight that they managed to make into these game models was incredible.

Now, DOW 3 seems to be going in a new vein, which is understandble trying to progress, dont get me wrong i put in 1000s of hours in dow 2 and was great but it had its bugs as well as balancing issues online(Untill elite came along). So its good they are trying something different, but scrapping the weight of what the other titles had IMO is a bad move. Ive never cringed harder then seening the Titan fall get shot down and 'clock' its assult cannons...its almost laughable. Dropping down a Ven-dread in dow 2 had a sense of more weight then that.

Athesticly its just not dark enough, 40k has so much potential to be dark and gritty but instead they move towards this, starcraft like look, look at the picture i attached! Those bases just look like they are STRAIGHT OUT OF SC2!

I knows its still pre alpha but everything looks way to polished and colourful lazers and just doesnt have that grit and weight.
Not going to comment on the bubble dome cover system yet (even though it looks basic as hell) untill more info about the game come out.

Saying they need to modernise and move to more Moba like attributes is the dumbest move ever. Throwing out everything unique and gritty that gave the games weight and making it a Starcraft clone. Be a shame if the look stays the same, which im sure it will, as like all other previous alpha footage of Dow 2 and Coh 2 both didnt sway too much at all.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 1:26 pm

It's sad that the gaming industry is so unambitious, generic and exploitative these days. But unfortunately that's how the market has to work in order to be successful.

The government needs to focus a lot more on regulating the industry to aid the devs in making more money and or not as much to be wasted on middle men such as retails and publishers.

Of course they won't do that however as they know fine well that it isn't super politically popular to be debating 'video games' in the house of commons. That's plebian shit.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 3:46 pm

All things change, processes are in flux, and everything ends.

If you truely feel like this, I'm not saying you should change, but you will be left behind, because a lot of people will move on.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Soberson
Level 2

Postby Soberson » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 6:32 pm

There HAS to be a redeemable quality, a feature that makes me overlook rest of the flaws and say "yes but check out...". I haven't switch from Dawn of War I to Dawn of War II until IG has been introduced because I have already experienced Company of Heroes gameplay and its slowness put me off. And yet I didn't care about it as long as I got to play IG AND THEN game grew on me, I started to like it more than original.

What is sad that I do not see any said features present in Dawn of War III. Nothing would bring me to play it at this point of development considering the footage shown.
#IGisFINE
Guy gamer.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 6:45 pm

I'm not interested in anything they've shown so far either, but I never expected to be. I'm only interested in the multiplayer and they have only shown part of a single player campaign on easy mode so far. They've worked on this for 2.5 years so I have no intention of badmouthing the game until they show the multiplayer (in a 1v1 format) or have an open beta.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 10:42 pm

Good now you can stop whining and not buy the game when it comes out.
Last edited by Carnevour on Wed 06 Jul, 2016 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 10:58 pm

Carnevour wrote:Good now you can stop whining and not but the game when it comes out.

Who are you talking to? You never quoted anyone. I know I haven't whined about anything other than retail DoW 2 or people who are hating on DoW 3 for no reason.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 3:29 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:
Carnevour wrote:Good now you can stop whining and not but the game when it comes out.

Who are you talking to? You never quoted anyone. I know I haven't whined about anything other than retail DoW 2 or people who are hating on DoW 3 for no reason.

The OP
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 11:35 am

trainasauruswrecks wrote:I haven't even looked at it and I don't really care to.

Unsure where the thread was meant to go after this point, to be honest.
Imperator1
Level 2

Postby Imperator1 » Wed 13 Jul, 2016 5:38 pm

Well lets see:

-Rainbows: Check.
-Lascannons messed up like in Eternal Crusade: Check.
-No Chaos: Check.

Seems like a triumvirate of bad to me. There are not even cutting edge graphics to make up for these problems.
darthmisery
Level 1

Postby darthmisery » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 6:01 am

I really just hope the Dow elite community keeps up the great work even after Dow 3 is released. Thanks to all the hard work put in by the mod developers.
enasni127
Level 2

Postby enasni127 » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 8:02 am

Imperator1 wrote:Well lets see:

Seems like a triumvirate of bad to me. There are not even cutting edge graphics to make up for these problems.

I'm ultra sure that chaos will be released/show up in the final mission of the campaign. Even the trailer screams "Blood for the blood god" imho.

I'm more concerned about that stupid phil boulle (or however his name is written) and his ridiculous explanations about the shit graphics, missing sync kills and jumping gabriel angelos. This guy really seems to be an idiot ....or a puppet of some rich bastard who wants this game to be shit as long as the sales are good.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 9:12 am

Wait, you're telling me two modern GW-approved titles have similar lascannon effects? Hah, I didn't know that.

Have you considered that this might be a changed GW have therefore sanctioned?
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 10:23 am

Ugh I'm actually just tempted to close this thread.

This is the deepest, darkest shit hole I've seen on this forum for a while, and I don't care if the purpose of the thread is to shit on DoW III, it's depressing and the responses are half moronic, half just non-productive.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm also going to link my mini-rant here because I think it's relevant:

https://community.dawnofwar.com/discuss ... e-hopes/p2

Wheeeeew... PJSalt.

I really don't get this hate on this level to DoW III. Relic made DoW I a spin on the traditional RTS genre, then DoW II came along and broke most of it, yet that game did very well, and now DoW III does it again and everyone is SURPRISED?

Relic are very good at making sure no game is the same. I do love the CoH-led mechanics of DoW II, but also the game needs to evolve. If we had a repeat of DoW II maybe with some larger squads and different units, we'd love it for a week, then start to think the game is a rip off because it's just DoW II reskinned.

I don't personally think the move to a cartoony aesthetic and simple mechanics is the best, but think what Relic are first and foremost: They are a private company, not a trust, not a philanthropic charity. They make money by appealing to ever larger consumer bases. The Starcraft and Moba communities are big, and it is a logical step to go that way. Who knows, you might end up liking the game, maybe not as much as the previous ones, but it is ok to like it.

If Relic make money, they can make a new game that will be different to DoW III later on. But Relic have never been a company that particularly prides itself on maintaining it's fanbase. Employees come and go, phases of design change, and ultimately they are here because it is lucrative. Believe it or not, Relic don't work to cater to the fans, they work to cater to the publisher and shareholders, and maybe that's unfair, but that's the way it is, and you moaning about little men cartwheeling all the time is not going to change a thing, so start being constructive, and to the few that do this; stop churning your same nihilism onto every thread.

You don't have to like it, but you also don't need to flood this forum with pettiness.
Imperator1
Level 2

Postby Imperator1 » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 1:36 pm

Gorb wrote:

Wait, you're telling me two modern GW-approved titles have similar lascannon effects? Hah, I didn't know that.

Have you considered that this might be a changed GW have therefore sanctioned?

Dow1, Dow2, Space Marine, Deathwatch, Armgaddon all portrayed it as a slow firing heavy hitting anti tank weapon, and so does the tabletop, the books and the FFG games.

So why was it suddenly changed to be a Multilaser for all purpose? Is CS GOTO directing DOW3?
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 1:46 pm

The Tabletop doesn't depict it like anything.

I'm sure it's still an anti-tank weapon. Relic have already changed the FX once. They might change it again, but honestly if that's your major complaint about the game I think Relic are doing alright. Though - you are wrong here - Relic haven't made it anything like the Lascannon effect in EC (I checked a video).
Kvn
Level 3

Postby Kvn » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 6:18 pm

Gorb wrote:The Tabletop doesn't depict it like anything.

Actually, it does. The TT game's rules have the Lascannon functioning as a single-shot high damage weapon. Beam weapons in TT typically have multiple shots.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 4:26 pm

The Tabletop game which has no visible FX and only game rules that players have to interpret with their minds, doesn't depict it like anything. Come on, this is beyond pedantic.

Railguns are Heavy 1, but they fire solid slugs. Dawn of War doesn't show them firing slugs! They fire beams! Oh my God! Seriously, I could go on all day about how much the "fluff" doesn't match up with reality.

I'll make you a deal. You don't want to buy DoW III because the lascannons aren't exactly like you think they should look? Go for it, but make sure to tell everyone that's the only reason why you didn't want to buy the game?

Fair? Nah, that isn't fair, is it. Because obviously, that's stupid. Your dislike of the game is probably a lot more than whatever effect they choose to use for the lascannon. So maybe complain about something a tiny bit more worthwhile, in the hopes that Relic might change something that has more of an impact.
Kvn
Level 3

Postby Kvn » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 5:27 pm

Gorb wrote:The Tabletop game which has no visible FX and only game rules that players have to interpret with their minds, doesn't depict it like anything. Come on, this is beyond pedantic.

Railguns are Heavy 1, but they fire solid slugs. Dawn of War doesn't show them firing slugs! They fire beams! Oh my God! Seriously, I could go on all day about how much the "fluff" doesn't match up with reality.

I'll make you a deal. You don't want to buy DoW III because the lascannons aren't exactly like you think they should look? Go for it, but make sure to tell everyone that's the only reason why you didn't want to buy the game?

Fair? Nah, that isn't fair, is it. Because obviously, that's stupid. Your dislike of the game is probably a lot more than whatever effect they choose to use for the lascannon. So maybe complain about something a tiny bit more worthwhile, in the hopes that Relic might change something that has more of an impact.

Pedantic? For clearing up a misconception? I think you might want to pause before you preach, as I have not voiced my opinion on anything relating to DoW III in this thread, nor do I recall doing it on any other. Literally, the only thing I have said here is that the Lascannon in TT does, in fact, show a single shot weapon and not a continuous beam.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Railguns are shown as beams either, because they're not. If you're talking about the ones in Soulstorm, those are also single shot weapons, just with a bit flashier visuals since it's kind of difficult to get the particle effects just right for a weapon like that in an old game. Note that they're still depicted as a burst of power instead of a constant beam effect.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 5:53 pm

I think I'm going to get a brain tumour if I read anymore of this. This thread is pointless and so far done nothing to prove otherwise. Seriously disappointed in the sniping by many people.

LOCKED.

Return to “General Discussion”