New DOW3 Gameplay Video on Twitch

Oddnerd
Level 4

New DOW3 Gameplay Video on Twitch

Postby Oddnerd » Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:13 pm

https://www.twitch.tv/relicentertainment/v/74284421

Has this changed anyone's feelings on the game?

EDIT - I feel a more appropriate name would be Dawn of the Ancients of Starcraft 3.
Last edited by Oddnerd on Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Re: New DOW3 Gameplay Video on Twitch

Postby Ace of Swords » Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:14 pm

Made them worse, that UI needs a shitload of work to become usable.

And also, alright this is the campaign so the values of units are all over the place, but from what I gather from this video is that all "normal" units are just there to be cannon fodder and the hero/knight do everything.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:31 pm

Soberson
Level 2

Postby Soberson » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 1:04 am

Gabe Angelos is a "melee brawler" now apparently... but can I jungle with him?
Q - Hammer Spin
W - "Damage soaking" shield or buff of sort
E - Hammer Jump
R (Ultimate) - DLC, ie: 1) LADY SOLAIR-ia for those who liked Dark Souls :^^^^^^^^^^^^^^); 2) "Finger of God LAZOR"

https://youtu.be/DdCYMvaUcrA?t=26s
#IGisFINE
Guy gamer.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 2:55 am

Hehehe, we should start calling him Garen Angelos
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 3:46 am

Guys, you are aware that it's a showcase of the Space Marine stuff, so things are presented in such manner to highlight the units design and abilities, and not to portray the balance of said individual units right?

The UI is work in progress. They said you'll be able to customize your minimap location (Probably they'll allow further customization for the UI).

The mission was 'highlight reel' from a dumbed-down singleplayer mission. The players will given more alternative routes, objectives to do - and the difficulty will can be adjusted. If you just want the singleplayer story, you can just breeze through on easy, like you did in Dawn of War 1 or Dawn of War 2, but if you want more of a tougher challenge - you raise it up, and things starts getting more difficult.

They said they would give Eldar showcase the same treatment they're giving Space Marines. (They'll get their revenge eventually) was their quote I believe.

He explained what type of Archetype Angelos is. Which is a 'Brawler' aka - Get in thick of things, and deal damage. This isn't something that was invented by the MOBA genre - but it's what most people can relate to in this generation. You can even go as far back to Dawn of War 1 where you had your archetype commanders, like the Tau Commander being your long-range glass-cannon commander(Assasinish), with minor utility to suppliment that archetype. (Snares) and etc. Or the Farseer, with her wide variety of casting abilities - classifying her as an archetype of 'Mage'

Hell, let's even do it for Dawn of War 2. Warboss Archetype is pretty much a 'Brawler'. The list goes on, let's not pretend Dawn of War 3 is going to take a completely different route in this regard. And people going 'LOL MOBA' obviously don't have a fucking clue what they're talking about.

We don't have lanes with minions/creeps spawning in certain intervals. We don't have natural creeps on the map that you farm for currency, and to acquire furthermore items for your Hero. We don't have a single hero to command, against 5 other heroes. We don't have a single point in which needs to be defended in order to ensure we don't suffer defeat.

People being scared there's going to be too much of a 'One man army' obviously haven't done their homework on any of the Dawn of War franchise, but that didn't make it into a MOBA because of it. Solo Terminators killing everything? GUO/Avatar insta GGs? Apothecary alone in 2v2s? Commanders soloing armies pre CR with stacking health modifiers? Rippers? Commander-rush SM in DOW1? Yep, didn't turn into a moba because of it either.

Now the source of inspiration from MOBA is clear however - and what you numbnuts who can't seem to get this through your head.
- MOBA is a structured game surrounding a team consisting of normally (5) heroes. Each players picks a hero, and hopefully - they'll all work together and in harmony in order to beat the other opposing team consisting of 5 opposite heroes.
- The game is centered around team-focused battles. Fights can be over in a second, or dragged out over several minutes. This means it's ESSENTIAL THAT THE INFORMATION on the screen is CLEAR and DIRECT and you know what the hell is going on.

For some people, they would be worried about the League of Legends style - I was at first, but once you got around to it - it was pretty easy to see what was going on, who did what and when and where. Be that via audio queues, animations or visual effects. You can see that sort of inspiration from their alpha showcase already. Units animations are clear, fluid and presented clearly (You may not like their direction, but ultimately the focus is on GAMEPLAY). You also have cast bars for some abilities, whereas if the enemy will see them or not, is still not known.

But it's clear - they're focusing on alot of elements of counterplay and the display of information for the players. Which is a GOOD THING - because it enforces PvP interaction, and there's some ways to play around what you're opponent is planning on doing. This is what a MOBA does, and does well. And this is something that Dawn of War 2 did pretty 'meh'. Because our way of showing abilities was mainly through animations and visual effects. And the visuals would sometimes get messy alongside with all the other things happening, and animations were also alot of re-used animations stuff that was used for other units, and other abilities. Which makes things very unclear sometimes.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 4:32 am

Caeltos wrote:[..] it was pretty easy to see what was going on [..]

No, it was not, thanks to the fx bombardment it was virtually impossible to see what was happening and I guess it only worked in favor of the SM because they were "playing" against the AI in which case it is not as important to see whats going on compared to a real competitive match.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 5:19 am

I'll respectfully disagree. The visuals in the engagements were pretty clear to me. There were plenty of visual queue presented to the players. For an example at the time-frame @ 13:33

- The Plasma Grenade thrown by the Dire Avengers @ slight animation (shortly bugged afterwards, the joys of WIP) which travels relatively slowly in comparison to Dawn of War 2. Followed by 'Enemy Grenade' audio queue.

- The UI also shows several 'Effects' applied to the squad (Dire Avengers) instead of auras (Which was really messy in Dawn of War 2)

- Terminator model swinging his hammer +THE MASSIVE GLOW on his hammer AND the cast bar for the ability.

There's also a nice tidbit where he captures a cover-point & resource point. It's VERY HARD to miss this happening during a firefight, since it takes up more horizontal space. The existing color also even more highlights it more-so then it did in Dawn of War 2, where more often then not, games would be decided because someone was capping in the middle of a fight, and you simply just couldn't pay enough attention to it.

There's more to it, but they took some good things from CoH2 in the way of how capping points works. Rather than order a unit to cap it, you order them within the circular area to cap the point. Having someone to go inside that point from an opposing faction, will initiate a fight between the point, resulting in a stalemate, and you'll have to fight it out. Now, in Dawn of War 2 - You could have this beast of a unit tanking a point and cap it, and you wouldn't have any means of counterplay elements. You just simply had to kill it (Dawn of War 2 mechanics with Invulnerablility and knockback immunity) would sometimes simply just decide it for you, and there was nothing you could do it. Which isn't a fun and healthy way to enforce a PvP enviroment with means to counterplay and keep the fight going.

Taking notes, is that this sort of mechanic will make fights more fierce, and this makes Tanking Units inside capping points very valuable for stalling. Now, it seems to me, that most likely your hard-soakers will likely be your melee-units, which means they'll be excellent capping units, or for competeting against a point of interest. Which is what melee units had a problem with Dawn of War 2 for a very long time, because they would be exposed and unable to return blows during capping.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 8:29 am

Don't waste your breath imo Caeltos. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but people are going to cry MOBA no matter what it seems.
Soberson
Level 2

Postby Soberson » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 9:22 am

Atlas wrote:Don't waste your breath imo Caeltos. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but people are going to cry MOBA no matter what it seems.

I should have emphasized it more: person who presented the gameplay demo has no freaking idea what he's talking about or has never played Dawn of War game before (see: "green resource from DoW1 makes a comeback". Green resource was power. Power makes a comeback?). He / she makes it even worse by using terminology close to one used in current mobas. Ineptitude at it's best. It's like trainwreck, you know: it's awful to watch but you just cannot stop

And I MIGHT be wrong but that is the impression I've got by listening to these guys
#IGisFINE
Guy gamer.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 9:42 am

Atlas wrote:Don't waste your breath imo Caeltos. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but people are going to cry MOBA no matter what it seems.

Not sure if you meant me with your quote, but I didn't mention it being a MOBA or looking like one, but I indeed question the change of the artstyle for the sake of better clarity because, atleast imho, the FX are way too shiny/large which in turn doesn't make it easier to read what's happening on the battlefield.

Never did I mention any of the mechanics, which, yes look slicker and more streamlined but also a bit more shallow (especially the cover mechanics)

But as I've already mentioned in an earlier post I'll reserve judgment of the product until I've laid hands on it and played it thoroughly.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 3:06 pm

Man, some people are very literal-minded. No one is literally claiming it is going to be a MOBA - but it does reek of many of the visual and gameplay design choices typical of the MOBA genre, which a lot of people who care about the 40K universe find inappropriate.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 6:32 pm

No I didn't mean you Max with the post. I was talking about the people who are screaming "It's just like a MOBA now >:O ".

Having problems with the art style is fine because that actually has some logic to it. The people crying "MOBA" literally don't know what they are talking about. If I buy that logic, I have to accept that the art style of a game dictates what gerne of game it is.

I could actually go to two totally different extremes on this.

I can say that Dawn of War, yes even in 3, has only one basic element in common with MOBAs (A hero unit. Even here you pick three where in MOBAs you get one.) and that other than that it really has nothing to do with MOBAS.

Or I can say that Dawn of War 2 is a game where you pick a hero unit from a variety of choices that excel in different things, of which you can acquire wargear using resources that you acquire by skillful map control. You purchase units that, for most of you 3v3 scrubs, you ping pong back and forth in a lane of the map with an opponent. Sometimes, when you get creative, you might even mass up with the rest of your teammates for a big push to crush the enemy team.

No, Dawn of War 3 is just shitting on the Dawn of War games and turning them into a MOBA and we don't want that.
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 7:06 pm

gameplay design choices typical of the MOBA genre

Which gameplay design choices? Visuals/Graphics I can understand in the sense of display of information has been set more on focus, at the expense of the edgy-grim darkness tone of the game. There's a clear defined give & take system, and there can't just be marginal improvements across the board from it's previous installation, because people at this day and age still can't run the game for shit, and you can't amp it up without causing too much of a hinderance purely based on PC spec requirements. Which is why Dawn of War 3 has taken a few steps in one direction, and a few steps in another direction.

You pick 3 pre-determined ELITES that you go into battle? Why does this sound so familliar. It's almost as if Dawn of War 2 had this incorporated, but you picked pre-empatively before you started a game. Oh right, we also leveled up in Dawn of War 2 with our Commanders, that's like a MOBA. Oh, we also had Argus Desert Gate(to name one out of many), 3 lanes = MOBA? Right no, Dawn of War 2 had nothing about moba about it. Only Dawn of War 3 seems to be embracing it whole-heartly.

Aeon of Strife was the first, which was released like late 90s (To establish the moba format), and I remember playing it fondly. You picked a 'Hero' and you tried to kill the enemies main-'core/nexus' type thing. You died, went back to base - upgraded your armor/damage/misc stuff and rinse and repeat until you won or lost. Then DoTA came along/and some other misc. similiar gametypes with same format) but they didn't invent 'Heroes' and abilities and all that stuff. That stuff had existed for years, they just took the concept of having Heroes stacked against Heroes in its certain enviroment. Does Dawn of War3 seem to have this going for it as well? No. If you say yes, congratulations - you played yourself. Dawn of War 2 is no different with that logic.

To cut it short.

-/+ The graphic change may not be tailored to your liking. But they've clearly tried to give something back in return. (Cleaner color palettes)
+ Gore/Violence enhanced - This is likely to try to appease to the people who don't like the graphical change. No longer are models just wacked down on the ground with some blood. They actually lose body-parts and models remain on the ground longer then they did in the past.
-/+ Sync Kills a no go so far. Again, this is related to improved brutality/gore, but with sync kills removed - you've got more control of your units. After you've seen sync kills a fair share of time, they lose their charm. It's a nice treat the first times around, but becomes a nuissance as the game grows. And for a competetive scene, it's not well appriciated.

Taking inspiration from something is not a BAD THING, espicially if it's a good thing. Look at for an ex. Heroes of the Storm, or Titanfall. Both games took great inspiration from predeccesors (Call of Duty, and the MOBA format) but tried to mold it something onto their own. Whilst Titanfall lacked depth and content, it had great gameplay and feel to it. Heroes of the Storm took the MOBA format and made something of their own. They've grown into depth and strayed away from snowball factor of item-equipments in favor of working as a team continously, and not having as much infighting between who gets gold, and who farms what.

We can go even as far as Civilization 6 with how it's drastically changed its look. And it's understandable why they've done it. With the gameplay shifting so much and putting more empthasize on each single tile to be essential, you need clear, direct & visible information. People may not be eye to eye with its artistic design - but the gameplay is more focused. When did people get so naggy about graphics first, gameplay afterwards? I always thought it was the other way around.

I mean, I don't understand why the fuck people are even worried about taking inspiration from the MOBA franchise, which is clear they've taken the direction of giving players more clear-defined information provided to them. AND THIS IS A BAD THING HOW?! I would be rightfully so worried if they started going on about the lines of "Yeah, we're going to add some other misc. monsters on the field, where you can level up your units/commanders, and you can buy certain equipments from a Necron Relic Shop at various spots on every map".

But as it stands now, we've got base-building, we've got huge armies. We've got the traditional commander/super units. All of which we've had before, and there's no super grand change to it. I just don't get it. I honestly don't. I don't think people know what the hell they're talking about.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 7:35 pm

Caeltos wrote:
gameplay design choices typical of the MOBA genre

Which gameplay design choices? Visuals/Graphics I can understand in the sense of display of information has been set more on focus, at the expense of the edgy-grim darkness tone of the game. There's a clear defined give & take system, and there can't just be marginal improvements across the board from it's previous installation, because people at this day and age still can't run the game for shit, and you can't amp it up without causing too much of a hinderance purely based on PC spec requirements. Which is why Dawn of War 3 has taken a few steps in one direction, and a few steps in another direction.

You pick 3 pre-determined ELITES that you go into battle? Why does this sound so familliar. It's almost as if Dawn of War 2 had this incorporated, but you picked pre-empatively before you started a game. Oh right, we also leveled up in Dawn of War 2 with our Commanders, that's like a MOBA. Oh, we also had Argus Desert Gate(to name one out of many), 3 lanes = MOBA? Right no, Dawn of War 2 had nothing about moba about it. Only Dawn of War 3 seems to be embracing it whole-heartly.

Aeon of Strife was the first, which was released like late 90s (To establish the moba format), and I remember playing it fondly. You picked a 'Hero' and you tried to kill the enemies main-'core/nexus' type thing. You died, went back to base - upgraded your armor/damage/misc stuff and rinse and repeat until you won or lost. Then DoTA came along/and some other misc. similiar gametypes with same format) but they didn't invent 'Heroes' and abilities and all that stuff. That stuff had existed for years, they just took the concept of having Heroes stacked against Heroes in its certain enviroment. Does Dawn of War3 seem to have this going for it as well? No. If you say yes, congratulations - you played yourself. Dawn of War 2 is no different with that logic.

Because so far you've been the only one to say that this game looks clearer, it's a damn clusterfuck without the finesse of the sync kills which barely mattered in DoW1 while looking cool, in dow2 they created problems related to the retreat function and the low model count of squads, but since neither of them is present in DoW3 sync-kills wouldn't be an issue, the UI is very badly done as well, the semi-invisible map needs clear terrain and the dots indicating the units need work as well, as it was in the stream it's not usable to keep track of your units engaging the enemy, esp in a 1v1 scenario where you have units all over the place getting annoyed by hit & run units from the enemy.

and you can't amp it up without causing too much of a hinderance purely based on PC spec requirements.

This is so bullshit it hurts to read, graphical options exist for a reason and total war warhammer while having amazing graphics and scale can be run on the majority of PCs without going under 30 fps, then if relic is capable of optimized code is another story, but going by CoH2 they probably can't, since in that game blizzards used to lag high-end PCs, but anyway...

It's quite clear what the moba stuff comes from, the impressions that gabriel angelos gives from that video is that he will get a set of skills that plays out exactly like in lol/dota and this gives me the impression that your actually units will matter little and only the elite units will define the way the game goes, making you care little to micro your overall stuff and just concentrate on these 3.

Now, DoW3 is aiming to be an RTS in the more classical sense with base building and a large forces, with elements of DoW2 when it comes to units leveling and capping, despite this being an early alpha, they are clearly showing that the campaign plays out more like a DoW2 sp rather than DoW1, the heroes supported by a force are doing everything unlike DoW1 where your heroes supported our army but it was the huge numbers that carried weight, of course this may or may not translate into the MP gameplay, but they also talked about banning heroes in a dota style fashion before the MP game starts in the pc gamer article which leads me to believe they are putting too much focus on the heroes/elite units, which in turn encourages my belief in the fact that your army will matter littler in the game and won't need much micro, while the focus of your gameplay will be on your hero, this is why it looks like a moba rather than a RTS and of course, this is all conjecture, but you know it's not my fault, it's all they showed and hinted at that points to this conclusion.

-/+ The graphic change may not be tailored to your liking. But they've clearly tried to give something back in return. (Cleaner color palettes)

You said nothing in this phrase, what are they giving back in return? Why the cleaner color palettes matter? What we have right now in DoW2, what we have had in coh2/1 what we had in DoW1 is very easily readable while using "darker" colors that blend with each other.

+ Gore/Violence enhanced - This is likely to try to appease to the people who don't like the graphical change. No longer are models just wacked down on the ground with some blood. They actually lose body-parts and models remain on the ground longer then they did in the past.

How is it enhanced again? And how it appease to people who don't like the graphical change? We used to have models getting dismembered in synch-kills and their bodies thrown away like nothing by dreds, I truly don't see how this is more gory, beside the fact that bodies on the ground actually cause more confusion on the battlefield, which itself nullifies all you said so far with a "easier to read".
-/+ Sync Kills a no go so far. Again, this is related to improved brutality/gore, but with sync kills removed - you've got more control of your units. After you've seen sync kills a fair share of time, they lose their charm. It's a nice treat the first times around, but becomes a nuissance as the game grows. And for a competetive scene, it's not well appriciated.

See above.

Taking inspiration from something is not a BAD THING, espicially if it's a good thing. Look at for an ex. Heroes of the Storm, or Titanfall. Both games took great inspiration from predeccesors (Call of Duty, and the MOBA format) but tried to mold it something onto their own. Whilst Titanfall lacked depth and content, it had great gameplay and feel to it. Heroes of the Storm took the MOBA format and made something of their own. They've grown into depth and strayed away from snowball factor of item-equipments in favor of working as a team continously, and not having as much infighting between who gets gold, and who farms what.

Both these games failed miserably though? Nobody even remembered titanfall after a week from the release and MOBA players at large think that HOTS is casualized trash compared to lol/DOTA.

I mean, I don't understand why the fuck people are even worried about taking inspiration from the MOBA franchise, which is clear they've taken the direction of giving players more clear-defined information provided to them. AND THIS IS A BAD THING HOW?! I would be rightfully so worried if they started going on about the lines of "Yeah, we're going to add some other misc. monsters on the field, where you can level up your units/commanders, and you can buy certain equipments from a Necron Relic Shop at various spots on every map".

Because RTS=/= MOBAs, how is that hard to understand and again that whole UI is not easier to read compared to what we have now, it just looks extremely generic and boring, with no character whatsoever.

But as it stands now, we've got base-building, we've got huge armies. We've got the traditional commander/super units. All of which we've had before, and there's no super grand change to it. I just don't get it. I honestly don't. I don't think people know what the hell they're talking about.

Huge armies? I count less marine models than DoW1, graphics that aren't in par with the age it's going to be released.

I don't think people know what the hell they're talking about.

Yeah I definitely agree, listen man, here literally everyone is hoping DoW3 will be good and we may all be wrong or not, but wit what we've seen right now it's all leading in a bad direction, maybe the game will be extremely different, maybe not, I never seen a game doing a 180° from it's early gameplay to the release unless they completely scrapped the concept and remade from 0, I hope it will be good, but with what we've seen right now, you can't say it's better than DoW2/1, though the thing that seems largely improved from both games is pathing.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:26 pm

Cool, thanks for linking this.

I really like the breakdown of the f1-3 keys for your 3 elite units, then normal # hotkeys for your troops. WC3 did that and it worked real well when controlling 3 hero units.

I look forward to finding things out about multiplayer. DoW2's single and multiplayer were more or less different games sharing an engine. I expect DoW3 to be pretty much the same. What was shown here was such a heavily scripted "first campaign mission" experience, but it did give a good sense of where the game is going. I wanna get a better sense of how the drop-pod style base building works in the context of a match.

PS: Thread cleanup requested! Personal attacks in isle 3.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:41 pm

Thanks, but it's not really hard, aside from that I understood perfectly and from my point of view and it also seems to be the PoW of many others, that UI simply isn't easier to read, the graphical style may be liked by some people and not by some others but it doesn't change the fact that it's very bad looking for a game coming out in 2017, especially from a series of game that ALWAYS had top notch graphics and details for RTS'es.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:44 pm

Cyris wrote:
PS: Thread cleanup requested! Personal attacks in isle 3.

Oh me oh my, what a mess we found here!
Blood Dragon
Level 1

Postby Blood Dragon » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:22 pm

New dow - piece of shit.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 1:43 am

It's so annoying to read DoW 2 players complaining about the footage when it's essentially DoW 2 with a different art style. Did you forget what the DoW 2 campaign was like? It's the same damn thing and you're all bitching like it's not. I expected that on the community forums, but not from here.
karnakkardak
Level 2

Postby karnakkardak » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 4:00 am

UI REALLY DISAPPOINTED. Where is unit ilust?
I really think nice unit tab(show u've all) but i want base building can hotkey with numlock pad

But big problem of these ui, it's too old ugly style/too anime
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 1:17 pm

Its official graphics are more important than gameplay. Everyone lets go play order 1886 and other graphically wonderful games and forget how dogshit the games are actually. I'm actually baffled with the importance of graphics in most peoples heads. When did the magpie syndrome get so strong.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 5:59 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:It's so annoying to read DoW 2 players complaining about the footage when it's essentially DoW 2 with a different art style. Did you forget what the DoW 2 campaign was like? It's the same damn thing and you're all bitching like it's not. I expected that on the community forums, but not from here.

What?

So far it looks nothing like the dow2 campaigns, the only resemblance is to the retribution ones where you use the mix of heroes+meat shields, sorry I meant ordinary units, there doesn't seem to be any of the wargear stuff/hero traits that made the dow2 campaigns what they were, or choosing the order in which you can do the missions, in the dow2 vanilla campaign you had 3 different paths pretty much and could choose the order in which you did them, and they would give you different benefits (terminator armor, dread, and something I forgot).

So if anything it's more like the campaigns of dow1 vanilla and winter assault where the campaigns are just a series of (mostly) linear missions that you undertake, note that there's nothing wrong with that as both vanilla and WA had fucking amazing campaigns and gave us characters that were pretty well done for a video game, Angelos and Gorgutz.

So the campaign could be well done, which is always a boon as some ppl will only play SP and if it's good it will attract more attention to the game.

The UI does seem confusing, though maybe that's just because the minimap was on the right and abilities tab was on the left, good to know you can switch that though. Again I didn't like the shinier, cleaner art style but that won't change at this point so there's no point in bitching about it.

Beyond that, there's nothing to say about the units as they said they depowered the Eldar a bunch. Though I was pretty surprised to hear that shees could be a legitimate threat to the Imperial Knight, couldn't it just squash them?

So a pretty disappointing showcase tbh, we already knew about the cover system and base building and the hero units as well as SM using drop pods, was the point of that mission to show us that the hero units have abilities and that asm can jump? not really sure what relic was trying to achieve...
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 11:54 pm

Forestradio wrote:So far it looks nothing like the dow2 campaigns, the only resemblance is to the retribution ones where you use the mix of heroes+meat shields, sorry I meant ordinary units, there doesn't seem to be any of the wargear stuff/hero traits that made the dow2 campaigns what they were, or choosing the order in which you can do the missions, in the dow2 vanilla campaign you had 3 different paths pretty much and could choose the order in which you did them, and they would give you different benefits (terminator armor, dread, and something I forgot).

All of the things you're talking about wouldn't be shown in a gameplay demo like the one that was shown. There was no choosing which order to do missions in DoW 2. There was one path. There were random missions that were optional where you could get better gear. Even after you were done the main campaign in vanilla those random missions would come up where you could get better gear. It was endless and the same few mission types.

Relic has already stated that the campaign on release won't be so linear. This was specially made this way for the demo due to time constraints.

Minimap location doesn't matter. Your head should be situated at the center of the screen so whether it's on the left or right doesn't matter. In some games it's on the left and for some it's on the right. Doesn't matter.
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 9:36 am

What I have watched cemented my sentiments: DOW3 is pure shit.
ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 1:15 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:Minimap location doesn't matter. Your head should be situated at the center of the screen so whether it's on the left or right doesn't matter. In some games it's on the left and for some it's on the right. Doesn't matter.

I wouldn't say so. Some very old games (like 15 years old) already had HUD customisation available at the highest degree. This is something quite crucial for certain players, a main feature of FPS that really screw things up when it's missing, and it would be a shame not to have access to it in dow3.
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 4:18 pm

They said they will allow some UI customization. Specifically they mentioned the minimap will be customized.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 6:24 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:It's so annoying to read DoW 2 players complaining about the footage when it's essentially DoW 2 with a different art style. Did you forget what the DoW 2 campaign was like? It's the same damn thing and you're all bitching like it's not. I expected that on the community forums, but not from here.

TBH the dow2 campaing wasn't good, it's very boring to play compared to other RTSs and regardless of difficulty you eventually reach a powerlevel where you can have your main hero soloing missions.

The retribution one is especially boring since it has less levels than dow2/chaos rising and while having more factions you alwys repeat the same game over and over.
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 7:48 pm

I've seen the gameplay, and my spectations are even les than before seeing the video. My almost-non-existence hype is now even lower.

- The unnecessary amount of flashy lights. For example, in Gabriel Angelos special attacks/abilities,in Dreadnought special attack/ability animation, Assault Marines jumps... Sometimes is WTF is going on.
- Some animations are worse than DOW2 ones. Seriously, how the Dreadnought moves, the Tactical Marines... Too robotic. I hope this is because they changed the graphic engine, because otherwise there is no excuse.
- Eldar's shuriken/wraithcannon fire effects are pretty bad.
- How ridiculous is Gabriel Angelos. Not going to compare him with Mario Bros, but for me that isn't a Space Marine in a Terminator Armour.
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.
Imperator1
Level 2

Postby Imperator1 » Wed 13 Jul, 2016 5:40 pm

Rainbows, derpy lascannons, and now no synch kills? This game is worse than Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout!

Return to “General Discussion”