Dawn of War 3 is official

HandSome SoddiNg
Level 3

Dawn of War 3 is official

Postby HandSome SoddiNg » Tue 03 May, 2016 3:58 pm

Batman V Superman : Dawn of Justice 2016
Wonder Woman/Justice League 2017 Movies, WB/DC bring it ON !!
FinalPush
Level 0

Re: Dawn of War 3 is official

Postby FinalPush » Tue 03 May, 2016 9:05 pm

Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Tue 03 May, 2016 9:37 pm

Relic, you fucked it up. :x
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 03 May, 2016 9:48 pm

Well. Far far too early to comment. Obviously they are going for that bigger scale, could be good. Let's hope they take some of the good things they've learnt from COH2 and DOW2 and implement them into their larger scale battles. I know the balance will be shit, but w/e, that can be fixed in due time... I really want to play a game from the very start competitively. I've yet to ever do that. Always coming to scenes late.

OMG I am hyped.

I'm sad they don't want to pursue a super grimdark aesthetic though. I like me zee grimdark :(
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Dalakh
Level 2

Postby Dalakh » Tue 03 May, 2016 9:52 pm

Wtf is that art direction? Looks properly shitty, not impressed.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Tue 03 May, 2016 10:12 pm

Crappy trailer, not very impressive first screenshots.

I'm ashamed to admit I did actually get my hopes up. This looks and feels like it was designed by the people who spawned Age of Skubmar. Maybe I'm wrong, and these early sneakpeaks are misleading.
HARRYY
Level 2

Postby HARRYY » Tue 03 May, 2016 10:14 pm

Dalakh wrote:Wtf is that art direction? Looks properly shitty, not impressed.

'I cant say what it is... but it has zero 40k-atmosphere to me.. maybe its different ingame
jamono
Level 1

Postby jamono » Tue 03 May, 2016 10:27 pm

Reminds me the starcraft 2 color palette, and if it releases end 2016/ first quarter 2017 is almost the final work.
Haidran
Level 1

Postby Haidran » Tue 03 May, 2016 10:35 pm

My hopes were sooooo high.

From what I have read, a big goal with this release was making the game more accessible (aka more like starcraft). The art direction and cover mechanics are all about making the game easier to read and therefore all about removing terrain/textures/distractions so that every unit or action is obvious and clearly presented.

Did you guys read about the new cover system...basically, there are circular areas you can enter, like in that first screenshot, that are entirely disjoint from the environment.

So disappointing.
Lichtbringer
Level 3

Postby Lichtbringer » Tue 03 May, 2016 11:07 pm

Since when does anyone associate starcraft with accessible?
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Tue 03 May, 2016 11:18 pm

Lichtbringer wrote:Since when does anyone associate starcraft with accessible?

SCII is very accessible, just hard to master for the wrong reasons.
Ace_AOE
Level 0

Postby Ace_AOE » Tue 03 May, 2016 11:44 pm

Oddnerd wrote:Crappy trailer, not very impressive first screenshots.

I'm ashamed to admit I did actually get my hopes up. This looks and feels like it was designed by the people who spawned Age of Skubmar. Maybe I'm wrong, and these early sneakpeaks are misleading.

Waayy wayy too early to tell, thing like texturing and the look of the game are often meant for last and since no release date is given we have to assume they are still in the middle of development
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Wed 04 May, 2016 8:25 am

I came to these forums to find actual thinking people to discuss the news in regards to the release rather than stick at those cancer threads on dawn of war website, but apparently i was wrong.
welshy
Level 2

Postby welshy » Wed 04 May, 2016 9:07 am

Carnevour wrote:I came to these forums to find actual thinking people to discuss the news in regards to the release rather than stick at those cancer threads on dawn of war website, but apparently i was wrong.

There are just some people here disappointed in what they have seen, like me :) People don't always like change, especially when Sega is in control!

The trailer was epic but I can't see how they are going to balance titans and grots in the same game? I also assume that those pictures are from some alpha phase so I wouldn't concentrate too much on how it looks right now. Isn't that knight meant to be far taller than what is shown in the pics?
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Wed 04 May, 2016 9:40 am

They're technically not Titans, they're Imperial Knights. Very powerful stuff, but not Titan-level.
Barn
Level 0

Postby Barn » Wed 04 May, 2016 9:41 am

welshy wrote:The trailer was epic but I can't see how they are going to balance titans and grots in the same game? I also assume that those pictures are from some alpha phase so I wouldn't concentrate too much on how it looks right now. Isn't that titan meant to be far taller than what is shown in the pics?

It's an Imperial Knight, not a gargantuan sized Titan. If they are planning to release it early 2017 then the screenshots must be pretty close to the final product. From what they've said they've sacrificed a lot of unit detail (I'm assuming this will be both texture and animation detail) for more smooth larger battles, despite the screenshots not really depicting anything larger than what you would potentially see from DoW2 aside from a few extra marines here and there.

From what I've seen and read so far it's just going to be a more modern DoW1, which leaves me a bit let down. I like DoW2 both for the gameplay and for the fluffy bits (I spend a lot of time gawking at the army painter), whereas I only enjoyed the first because it was 40k.
welshy
Level 2

Postby welshy » Wed 04 May, 2016 9:48 am

I noticed I wrote Titan ;) Sorry folks I did mean and did edit in Imperial Knight. Still they should be taller!
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Wed 04 May, 2016 9:57 am

Barn wrote:
welshy wrote:The trailer was epic but I can't see how they are going to balance titans and grots in the same game? I also assume that those pictures are from some alpha phase so I wouldn't concentrate too much on how it looks right now. Isn't that titan meant to be far taller than what is shown in the pics?

It's an Imperial Knight, not a gargantuan sized Titan. If they are planning to release it early 2017 then the screenshots must be pretty close to the final product. From what they've said they've sacrificed a lot of unit detail (I'm assuming this will be both texture and animation detail) for more smooth larger battles, despite the screenshots not really depicting anything larger than what you would potentially see from DoW2 aside from a few extra marines here and there.

From what I've seen and read so far it's just going to be a more modern DoW1, which leaves me a bit let down. I like DoW2 both for the gameplay and for the fluffy bits (I spend a lot of time gawking at the army painter), whereas I only enjoyed the first because it was 40k.

They specifically talked about the textures being more recognisable at a glance.

They said nothing about sacrificing animation detail.

As for it being a 2017 release, they'll still be in production. Nothing is final at this stage. There are games to be released in Q3 of this year that haven't gone gold yet. Games are worked on until the last possible second, and usually these days the developers continue to work on the product to release a Day 0 patch (as well as some DLC, otherwise the publisher simply wouldn't let the developer work on the game. DLC is what allows that kind of support).
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 04 May, 2016 10:01 am

I think this whole 'we're reducing graphical fidelity to compensate for bigger battles' is a poor excuse. I get these probably aren't finished, but for a game that looks a lot worse than one released 7 years ago, this does not bode well.

Still, I'll buy it, and I am hopeful for change.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Wed 04 May, 2016 10:18 am

btw, imperial knight doesn't seem that bigger than relic units in DOW1 or I'm wrong ?
I haven't played DOW1 in a veeeeeery long time. I think I will play it again to "train" for DOW3.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Wed 04 May, 2016 10:28 am

GuruSkippy wrote:btw, imperial knight doesn't seem that bigger than relic units in DOW1 or I'm wrong ?
I haven't played DOW1 in a veeeeeery long time. I think I will play it again to "train" for DOW3.

I don't know the Tabletop stats, but they're generally top-tier units. Better than a Land Raider I think, because of their Void ( / Ion) Shields.
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Wed 04 May, 2016 10:30 am

I wasn't clear enough
I mean the size of DOW1 relic units vs size of the imperial knight in the 2 screenshots compared to standard units in both games.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Wed 04 May, 2016 10:39 am

Ahh, sorry.

The Knight is significantly larger than even the Bloodthirster (at least it looks like it is), which I think sets the standing size record for units in DoW 1. Look at the Dreadnought behind it, even accounting for camera perspective the Knight is several times larger.

EDIT

As a comparison, the Eldar Wraithknight (the huge one in the cinematic trailer) is £70 GBP for the Tabletop model. It stands at 9 inches, or 3/4 of a foot, tall. The Wraithlord we're all used to is £28, and correspondingly smaller.

They're pretty beastly.

EDITEDIT

Looks like we're getting either the Imperial Knight Warden or Crusader, too. They're the only ones with the top-mounted missile launchers. £95 GBP base, 8" tall without the missile launcher addon.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Knight-Warden

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Knight-Crusader
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Wed 04 May, 2016 2:04 pm

Haidran wrote:My hopes were sooooo high.

From what I have read, a big goal with this release was making the game more accessible (aka more like starcraft). The art direction and cover mechanics are all about making the game easier to read and therefore all about removing terrain/textures/distractions so that every unit or action is obvious and clearly presented.

Did you guys read about the new cover system...basically, there are circular areas you can enter, like in that first screenshot, that are entirely disjoint from the environment.

So disappointing.

have faith, let me convince you that it might not be too horrible.

1 the accessibility is very much necessary in larger scale games , look an undeniable fact about cover in dow2 is that AT BEST it was clunky and at worst is was border line broken , models would stick to the wrong sides of cover , squads would have half their models un protected and worse. it did not work nearly as well as we all wish we could claim it did. not only that but buildings and garrisoning was always an elephant in the room of dow2 counter play most of the time is served no purpose but the few times it did half the races didnt have a cost effective counter to it .

Now can you imagine that shit in a game with 4 times as many units as dow2? it would be unusable. admit it. One thing i do agree with is.. why capture-able cover nodes? they could have jsut done the dow1 system where craters gave you positive cover if you moved into them and water gave you negative cover . that system was simple enough without needing to draw attention to itself arbitrarily .

2 as for the art style. again this is a trade off for the scale . as much as i think grim dark is cool an all, the sad fact of life is that for a strategy game to be effective on the large scale it needs to communicate the broad strokes quickly. dawn of war 2 only got away with this because it was smaller scale and it focuses on a very effective counter play mechanism. heck most people still call it a RTT rather than a RTS because of the scale and emphasis. While ill miss the grimy details of the dow 2 models if it means i get my large battles again im willing to atleast give it a try .

except for all the metallic shaders. that needs to go .
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Wed 04 May, 2016 2:08 pm

Gorb wrote:EDITEDIT

Looks like we're getting either the Imperial Knight Warden or Crusader, too. They're the only ones with the top-mounted missile launchers. £95 GBP base, 8" tall without the missile launcher addon.

All the Imperial Knights have the option for a top mounted weapon system.
What they do not have on the TT is the option to carry 2 Avenger Gatling Cannons ...
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Wed 04 May, 2016 2:27 pm

I will reserve my judgement for when the game launches. Games can look awesome before launch and end up being crap. They can also seem a bit meh and end up being awesome.

I am a bit reserved but I remain very hopeful regarding the game. I have loved DoW 1 and DoW 2 so there is no reason (at least yet) to assume I wouldn't like DoW 3. The only thing I am really concerned about is how the DLC stuff will be handled... DLC skins etc are fine but I sure hope extra factions come with expansions and not as some silly pay to win DLC.
#noobcodex
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Wed 04 May, 2016 2:42 pm

Nurland wrote: I sure hope extra factions come with expansions and not as some silly pay to win DLC.

hum, I fail to see what is the difference between a new OP race coming in a paid DLC or coming in an expansion.
Soberson
Level 2

Postby Soberson » Wed 04 May, 2016 3:14 pm

Game will be botched completely on release because Sega.
Other than that, Dawn of War 3 will come out in OUR LIFETIME, hurray!
#IGisFINE
Guy gamer.
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Wed 04 May, 2016 4:25 pm

LOL at the complete aesthetic fail..
ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Wed 04 May, 2016 4:31 pm

Dark Riku wrote:
Gorb wrote:EDITEDIT

All the Imperial Knights have the option for a top mounted weapon system.
What they do not have on the TT is the option to carry 2 Avenger Gatling Cannons ...

Ah, sorry, I didn't see them on the GW pages for the Paladin and Errant types so I just assumed. Ideally the player would get to choose from all configurations, which is maybe why you see two Gatling Cannons in the screenshots so far. Would be nice to not be restricted!

Return to “General Discussion”