Level 3

Re: It's happening.

Postby Ar-Aamon » Tue 03 May, 2016 7:57 pm

Wow, I'm disappointed. This looks like a mobile game. U mad relic. GTFO :x
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:05 pm

Arbit wrote:But that trailer is fucking delightful, so I'm staying pumped for the time being.

...except for the random howling banshee narration which was way meh :/
Dineil
Level 2

Postby Dineil » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:11 pm

What i find weird is that in the screenshots the imperial knight looks amazing. Just look at all those little details like the badges or the dragon ornament. In comparison the rest of the units, especially the reapers and banshees look very outdated and kinda DOW1ish...
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:13 pm

Men what they are thinking @ relic. Such a letdown. :(
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:20 pm

MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:21 pm

Yeah already saw that on neogaf too, so photoshoped, lets see how it actually looks in motion without altered pics.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Helios
Level 3

Postby Helios » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:27 pm

Indrid wrote:
Helios wrote:To everyone complaining about the graphics, chill out. If the game comes out next year then it's probably still in Alpha or at the very least the screenshots are from an alpha build which is pretty much full of placeholder graphics. The units look like they got their 3D rendering with color for glamour shots mostly. It's honestly unbelievable that they would take several steps down from DoW2 visually speaking unless they got super lazy and made minimal effort like with CoH2.

They wouldn't use placeholder graphics for official announcement screenshots. The game has probably been actively worked on for at least two years if they are looking to launch next year, a shift in visuals at this point would be extremely unlikely.

Maybe 5-10 years ago when decently-famous developers were making AAA or at least big budget titles I'd believe this, but now... nah. You know that video game development has gotten SUPER corporate as to take shortcuts and have deadlines and whatnot.
holyoke
Level 2

Postby holyoke » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:29 pm

Forestradio wrote:
holyoke wrote:This rocky thing where all bodies are falling is this a representation of the skull throne?

shamelessly stealing this from the community forum:

It seems there is a Nid for me.
holyoke
Level 2

Postby holyoke » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:31 pm

It seems there is a Nid for me.
Thunderhost
Level 2

Postby Thunderhost » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:33 pm

Codex wrote:My 2 cents:
Long story short, I appreciate that people don't like it, but I'm willing to reserve judgement until I see it in game on release.

What is this HERESY!? Reserving judgement? Appreciating other peoples opinions?? Pffft!

Titans = win = happyhappyhappy

NB: This post may or may not contain sarcasm, irony and/or both.
Codex

Postby Codex » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:39 pm

Thunder banned for inhabiting Sarchasm.

i.e.

Righteousness does not make right
HARRYY
Level 2

Postby HARRYY » Tue 03 May, 2016 10:46 pm

how some terminators helmet fit into their armor is really looking weird. like an sausage-dog looking uncomfortable out of his hole ... :D
Pega
Level 2

Postby Pega » Wed 04 May, 2016 3:19 am

HARRYY wrote:how some terminators helmet fit into their armor is really looking weird. like an sausage-dog looking uncomfortable out of his hole ... :D

Yeah its a bit weird. So i am not the only one who thinks that terminator helmet look like a dog's face ^^.
PaperBaG
Level 2

Postby PaperBaG » Wed 04 May, 2016 4:09 am

looking forward to the metagame/playing field being reset and most likely coming out in the future when ill be able to be active and competitive again
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Wed 04 May, 2016 4:12 am

PaperBaG wrote:looking forward to the metagame/playing field being reset and most likely coming out in the future when ill be able to be active and competitive again

The first few weeks when everyone is a rookie is the best time in the game.
Tarik Torgaddon
Level 0

Postby Tarik Torgaddon » Wed 04 May, 2016 6:47 am

What a time to be alive...
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Wed 04 May, 2016 6:53 am

Jebus, everyone from 30 years back is being resurrected as dreadnoughts it seems... Though you can't know if you'll still live when it's actually out eh?

As for the game itself, I'll take 3 good factions over 6 bad ones any day, but whether they can manage it remains to be seen. A yearly faction expansion has certainly been the pattern for DoW so far, and I guess it's acceptable, but if they go for the mass micro DLC bullshit I really doubt I can spare the time. :/
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Wed 04 May, 2016 8:38 am

Gonna go with the people opting for quality over quantity, considering that a lot of warhammer fanboys have massive nerd rages due to their favorite faction not being in the game without even realising that you cannot put a random faction into the game just for giggles. In regards to everything they showed, i find it actually quite fine, although i prefer lesser scale battles. Screenshots dont mean jack shit atm since its too early, when they release gameplay trailers then we can bitch and moan about it. So all in all quite pumped up for a new dawn in the rts genre. Gonna be hilarious learning how to play all over again with everyone.
Aetherion
Level 2

Postby Aetherion » Wed 04 May, 2016 12:12 pm

Reading the steam page, DoW III seems to have some kind of meta progression system akin to League of Legends or Warlord Battlecry II (for any here who have actually played that game) where your profile retains exp from playing or leveled units. The thing about turning on your "friends" makes it sound like there is some simple diplomacy at play, maybe Rise of Nation-esque. Fingers crossed for a good game
CREED FOR THE PLAN GOD
ELDRAD FOR THE DICK THRONE
just as planned
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Wed 04 May, 2016 1:52 pm

My thoughts on it so far

3 factions probably means that we will be getting more fleshed out factions and we might actually get to see a complete (or more complete) roster rather than cherry pickings of the previous 2 games. it could also of course because of the extra effort going into the elite units too.

as for the cartoony aesthetic , im 50/50 i still remember the last grim dark game that went all wow on us (diablo 3) and that was an artistic disaster

at the same time...

there are two distinct benefits to having a stylized art style
1 longevity, stylized games age a hell of alot better than games that go for the photo realistic or grimy realistic setting , heck wc3 is a testament to it.
2 performance. dow2 had a third the army sizes of dow 1 and was a performance hog when it came out. I can see the simplified visuals as a performance measure to get us larger armies.

one thing im not a fan of the shinyness. if they are going for the table top painted look , what the fuck is with all the metallic shaders everywhere ????
metallic paint looks awful on non gold/ boltgun metal parts of models
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Wed 04 May, 2016 1:56 pm

I dig the art style, its clean, simple and not clusteredfucked. What's more important than bleakiness and what-have-you in this type of color is the immersion from the audio department, viceral deaths and dismemberment - and the potential for persistant bodies / blood.

If it's like the hybrid of DOW1 and DOW2 that I've always wanted. I'm so happy.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Wed 04 May, 2016 4:19 pm

Caeltos wrote:I dig the art style, its clean, simple and not clusteredfucked. What's more important than bleakiness and what-have-you in this type of color is the immersion from the audio department, viceral deaths and dismemberment - and the potential for persistant bodies / blood.

If it's like the hybrid of DOW1 and DOW2 that I've always wanted. I'm so happy.

yeah, and if the trailer is any hint at where they will go in the audio and gore dept , we are going to do just fine
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Wed 04 May, 2016 4:46 pm

Artstyle backlash is reminiscent of the Diablo 3 reveal.

The main problem with the game as is is that the unit textures lack any weathering whatsoever. It's part attempt at wider reach, part laziness and/or unfinished work. The lighting looks pretty placeholder too. This will evolve and change significantly in time, but it will end up looking like Diablo 3 in release form, not DOW2.

Which won't be terrible, if I may say so. I mean, the game has its roots in clean and shiny models, just check out the Rogue Trader and 2e models. The GW house studio White Dwarf has been pretty much abandoning the weathered and tired look on painting figures after 5e, 7e 40K is a lot brighter and cleaner in terms of look.

The 40K universe is a grimdark place, but the aesthetic is pretty much all over the place. I mean there is this:

And there's this:

And then there's this:

The first is basically DOW1, the second DOW2, the third is DOW3. I can live with this, if they only nail the lighting and texture quality a bit better. As long as the game is cool and we have lines like "You dare? You DARE?!?!?!" I'm in.
ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
Codex

Postby Codex » Wed 04 May, 2016 5:41 pm

I wonder if anyone remembers DOW2 release when everything was shiny as all hell, you could almost see your reflection in the SM epaulieres. Then they toned it down massively in ?CR? I think? Nobody complained how DOW2 was not grimdark enough. Sure you had your anti-shiny party, but I only really noticed the aesthetic choice after it was gone.
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Wed 04 May, 2016 5:49 pm

Codex wrote:I wonder if anyone remembers DOW2 release when everything was shiny as all hell, you could almost see your reflection in the SM epaulieres. Then they toned it down massively in ?CR? I think? Nobody complained how DOW2 was not grimdark enough. Sure you had your anti-shiny party, but I only really noticed the aesthetic choice after it was gone.

That's because that.. wasn't the case?

I mean, here, vanilla DOW2 screenshot from 2009. It's certainly not shiny as hell..

What you are referring to is probably the reflections on the armor and guns that were over the top because hey it was 2009 and lens flares were the shit.. And even that was only evident if you really zoomed in on units to a distance that you did not (could not) actually play at anyway. Regardless, it's really not even comparable, the models were highly weathered and worn..

ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
Codex

Postby Codex » Wed 04 May, 2016 6:17 pm

Fair enough.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Wed 04 May, 2016 6:34 pm

The main prblem is; models are bad. I mean, can you really like those Termies? I think not.

I still belive in a rework. they have more than 6 mounth if I am not wrong. Why not?
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Wed 04 May, 2016 6:43 pm

firatwithin wrote:The main prblem is; models are bad. I mean, can you really like those Termies? I think not.

I still belive in a rework. they have more than 6 mounth if I am not wrong. Why not?

I remember relic fixed some models from alfa in coh2, but the infantry stayed bad - i mean, the models stayed in shiny low quality, they didnt add any dirt as well. If compare DoW2 pre-release screenshots and DoW3 u can think DoW2 is DoW3. Same thing was with CoH2 and CoH1

Return to “General Discussion”