It's happening.

Caeltos

Re: It's happening.

Postby Caeltos » Wed 04 May, 2016 7:29 pm

Anyone remember the graphics from the E3 DOW2 gameplay trailer? Didn't end up looking like that.

EleGiggle.
Dullahan
Level 2

Postby Dullahan » Wed 04 May, 2016 7:37 pm

Dineil wrote:What i find weird is that in the screenshots the imperial knight looks amazing. Just look at all those little details like the badges or the dragon ornament. In comparison the rest of the units, especially the reapers and banshees look very outdated and kinda DOW1ish...

That's because the Imperial Knight is the only asset that is actually done. I would consider everything else to be placeholder art, since it all looks like it's reusing old models.

This looks like they grabbed screenshots from a pre-vis, kind of like the one that exists for DoW2.
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Wed 04 May, 2016 7:39 pm

Caeltos wrote:Anyone remember the graphics from the E3 DOW2 gameplay trailer? Didn't end up looking like that.

EleGiggle.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMl0iXxelDE ?
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Wed 04 May, 2016 8:06 pm

Still way better than DoW 3 if you ask me. :?
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Wed 04 May, 2016 8:16 pm

Ar-Aamon wrote:Still way better than DoW 3 if you ask me. :?

Well, lets just wait for some gameplay footage to say for sure. We're not even sure it's 'actual' screenshots
Dineil
Level 2

Postby Dineil » Wed 04 May, 2016 9:13 pm

Dullahan wrote:
Dineil wrote:What i find weird is that in the screenshots the imperial knight looks amazing. Just look at all those little details like the badges or the dragon ornament. In comparison the rest of the units, especially the reapers and banshees look very outdated and kinda DOW1ish...

That's because the Imperial Knight is the only asset that is actually done. I would consider everything else to be placeholder art, since it all looks like it's reusing old models.

This looks like they grabbed screenshots from a pre-vis, kind of like the one that exists for DoW2.

I completely agree and hope you are right Dullahan.
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Wed 04 May, 2016 11:40 pm

A new article was posted.
Pega
Level 2

Postby Pega » Thu 05 May, 2016 4:21 am

Indrid wrote:A new article was posted.

"These heroes are vital, bringing Dawn of War 2's character development and micro abilities to Dawn of War 3's busier battlefields. “We wanted to take the epic scale of Dawn of War 1, the large over-the-top battles, and inject into that the awesome heroes from Dawn of War 2..."

Is Diomedes coming back then?
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Thu 05 May, 2016 5:19 am

Caeltos wrote:
PaperBaG wrote:looking forward to the metagame/playing field being reset and most likely coming out in the future when ill be able to be active and competitive again

The first few weeks when everyone is a rookie is the best time in the game.

This i agree with the most

I'd wait until we get more substance from their updates and actual playing footage before judging it, but i'm not thrilled about the base building. I mean.. WHY!?!?!?! Someone please explain to me how building the optimal amount of generators with the optimal amount of builder units so you can get the quickest X unit makes a fun game. I resource manage in my JOB and i tell you it IS NOT FUN

The best thing DOW2 did was get rid of base building. 40k is not about resource management, it is about punching a chainsword through some xenos's chest and screaming "FOR THE EMPEROOORRR!!1" Anything that takes away from that aspect takes away from the game itself

/rant
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Thu 05 May, 2016 7:52 am

As I'm not keeping up with gaming sites and news, it's always good to know that I can always look to this thread for the LATEST DEVELOPMENTS.
Playing truth or dare with Diomedes: You dare? YOU DARE?!
Tinder with Diomedes: THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?!
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Thu 05 May, 2016 9:30 am

PC Gamer wrote:The studio has experimented with different singleplayer formats over the years, from the territorial system map of Soulstorm to more conventional linear campaigns. Dawn of War 3 will be different again, jumping from faction to faction with each mission as Space Marine, Eldar and Ork forces move to seize a powerful, nameless weapon.

Fair enough, one decent campaign instead of multiple half-assed ones. Well, as long as they can actually finish the one campaign this time, but I guess Sega can’t be worse than THQ…

All this is still campaign stuff, though, and I presume we are mostly interested in the PvP, right?
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Thu 05 May, 2016 9:38 am

I am actually interested a fair bit in the campaign as well. Usually a campaign will decide whether the player will continue playing it after getting sucked into the wh40k universe or not, so a good campaign finally will be a sing that not all is lost when it comes to pvp.
Guilliman
Level 1

Postby Guilliman » Thu 05 May, 2016 1:42 pm

Indrid wrote:A new article was posted.

Indrid: Loved the Utube review...entertaining as usual

Video: I personally thought the video was pretty deft...especially the Imperial Knights vs the Wraith Knights. My only complaint is the SMs look way to skinny...they need more meat but otherwise very 40k-like

Game: I am definitely more on the camp for DOW style focused more on squads and tactics, I really hate base building/smashing which is the reason I could never do SC aside from the awesome single player mode.

But in some ways I think if doing the base thing draws more people in that can't be a bad thing. I will say my friends who are more SC players (let's face it, it is never a problem getting a multiplayer SC game going as opposed to DOW 2/elite where I may have to wait some time) find DOW2 difficult to play. I think many people can't get pass the tier system if you are use to SC. The balance between going heavy tier 1 to gain the early advantage between moving tier 2 to punish a heavy tier one is what I love about DOW 2 but I can see that is off putting for some.

Also I am so glad it is more squad based numbers (cause 5 is the SM sacred number:). While I understand the reason relic made SM squad 3 to balance for other race squads it just always seemed odd to me.

Graphics: Agree with most, I love the grim dark and making them "brighter" doesn't seem to fit but if it really is bigger battles then maybe not a bad thing. I will say when I play against IG when they bunch up the guardsman with spotters, heavy weapons etc I can't tell who is who and can't pick out the bigger threat so maybe not a bad thing to make units more obvious

All in all definitely looking forward to this! If anything it stills show DOW is not dead! If anything the elite Mod team will make it better :@)
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Thu 05 May, 2016 2:18 pm

Carnevour wrote:I am actually interested a fair bit in the campaign as well. Usually a campaign will decide whether the player will continue playing it after getting sucked into the wh40k universe or not, so a good campaign finally will be a sing that not all is lost when it comes to pvp.

Welp, the DoW2 campaign was pretty iffy, and Retribution was outright garbage, but we still ended up playing those for years since the MP was better, so idk. Sure a more finished product would presumably bring a higher player count, but I’m primarily concerned with whether it will be worth my personal time or not.
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Thu 05 May, 2016 3:18 pm

I don't know I thought the DoW2 campaign was pretty good and the Chaos Rising campaign was excellent.

Retribution though.. what campaign?
ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 05 May, 2016 3:25 pm

I wonder just how vastly different the THQ vision was to the Sega end product for DoW III. I'm guessing pretty big.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Thu 05 May, 2016 3:31 pm

The problem with vanilla dow 2 campaign was it repetitiveness esp later when you only had those annoying defend mission which just didnt matter unless you wanted the highest score (shame to admit i did dow 2 100% completion). Chaos Rising was a step into the right direction but was insanely short and could have been expanded on. Retribution campaign is the most boring single player experience i have ever played since its pretty much just copy paste grind with different races. So i hope they go the starcraft 1 route which they give you different races to play and each has an overarching campaign. Like that you start with orks and finish with sm/eldar.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Thu 05 May, 2016 3:41 pm

Carnevour wrote:The problem with vanilla dow 2 campaign was it repetitiveness esp later when you only had those annoying defend mission which just didnt matter unless you wanted the highest score (shame to admit i did dow 2 100% completion). Chaos Rising was a step into the right direction but was insanely short and could have been expanded on. Retribution campaign is the most boring single player experience i have ever played since its pretty much just copy paste grind with different races. So i hope they go the starcraft 1 route which they give you different races to play and each has an overarching campaign. Like that you start with orks and finish with sm/eldar.

I remember winter assault being similar to that IIRC.

Swapping between IG/Eldar and then Orks/Chaos. Was pretty cool. Constantly changing the factions kept it fun.

Still I don't think the campaign's greatness has loads of effect on multiplayer - maybe raw numbers, but the good players will become good players regardless of the campaign because they will play dow3 because they enjoy its multiplayer.

That said more numbers = more support for competitive play. And that in turn can encourage people to play it competitively more and that in turn means the average skill will rise faster. So yeah, it's not a bad thing. I do want a good campaign. I really did enjoy the dow1 campaigns, I even think the Winter Assault style was my favourite so really really glad they are doing something similar with Dow3.

It's also really good from a writing perspective to not just have black and white good and bad guys. giving them a lot more creative freedom and I know as a player I ALWAYS want to play as the bad guys in a game. I'm there fighting count dooku in a star wars game and I'm like "man, I'd love to be able to shoot lightning out of my hands". Same when I'm fighting orks and I see their warboss tearing through my marines. I just wanna be that warboss for a mission and stomp on some humie gitz.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu 05 May, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Tarik Torgaddon
Level 0

Postby Tarik Torgaddon » Thu 05 May, 2016 3:43 pm

"There is a terrible darkness descending upon the galaxy, and we shall not see it ended in our lifetimes."

A quick google of this quote brings up the page http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Necrons

hmmm....
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Thu 05 May, 2016 3:50 pm

It's gonna be necrons

a) campaign hints at some ancient weapon which has necron written all over it

b) TLS necron lord dlc anyone? yeah...

c) necrons haven't been part of the original game in dow1 or dow2, makes sense they would introduce them now

d) they fulfill the role of "evil" race very well, and I suspect that the campaign will lead up to some final tentative alliance between sm/ork/eldar to stop the necrons before it's too late (dow1 vanilla campaign has eldar/sm team up to stop chaos before it's too late, relic campaigns are nothing if not formulaic)

e) making chaos a dlc faction will basically make everyone buy it especially chaos players who will be stuck playing sm otherwise

I hope it's like the winter assault campaign, since those campaigns were absolutely amazing. Also the winter assault campaign did have necrons as the final enemies, where you power up titan weapons to kill them (except for orks iirc where you just kill the monoliths by drowning them in sluggas)
Last edited by Forestradio on Thu 05 May, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Thu 05 May, 2016 3:53 pm

ServantOfTheForums wrote:
Carnevour wrote:The problem with vanilla dow 2 campaign was it repetitiveness esp later when you only had those annoying defend mission which just didnt matter unless you wanted the highest score (shame to admit i did dow 2 100% completion). Chaos Rising was a step into the right direction but was insanely short and could have been expanded on. Retribution campaign is the most boring single player experience i have ever played since its pretty much just copy paste grind with different races. So i hope they go the starcraft 1 route which they give you different races to play and each has an overarching campaign. Like that you start with orks and finish with sm/eldar.

I remember winter assault being similar to that IIRC.

Swapping between IG/Eldar and then Orks/Chaos. Was pretty cool. Constantly changing the factions kept it fun.

Still I don't think the campaign's greatness has loads of effect on multiplayer - maybe raw numbers, but the good players will become good players regardless of the campaign because they will play dow3 because they enjoy its multiplayer.

That said more numbers = more support for competitive play. And that in turn can encourage people to play it competitively more and that in turn means the average skill will rise faster. So yeah, it's not a bad thing. I do want a good campaign. I really did enjoy the dow1 campaigns, I even think the Winter Assault style was my favourite so really really glad they are doing something similar with Dow3.

It's also really good from a writing perspective to not just have black and white good and bad guys. giving them a lot more creative freedom and I know as a player I ALWAYS want to play as the bad guys in a game. I'm there fighting count dooku in a star wars game and I'm like "man, I'd love to be able to shoot lightning out of my hands". Same when I'm fighting orks and I see their warboss tearing through my marines. I just wanna be that warboss for a mission and stomp on some humie gitz.

A good campaign usually encourages players to try the multiplayer aspect + it introduces players to the races, which in my opinion does affect the multiplayer portion quite a lot. Dow2s major mistake was a campaing that essentially was a different game all together to its mutiplayer part.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Thu 05 May, 2016 3:57 pm

Forestradio wrote:It's gonna be necrons

a) campaign hints at some ancient weapon which has necron written all over it

b) TLS necron lord dlc anyone? yeah...

c) necrons haven't been part of the original game in dow1 or dow2, makes sense they would introduce them now

d) they fulfill the role of "evil" race very well, and I suspect that the campaign will lead up to some final tentative alliance between sm/ork/eldar to stop the necrons before it's too late (dow1 vanilla campaign has eldar/sm team up to stop chaos before it's too late, relic campaigns are nothing if not formulaic)

I hope it's like the winter assault campaign, since those campaigns were absolutely amazing. Also the winter assault campaign did have necrons as the final enemies, where you power up titan weapons to kill them (except for orks iirc where you just kill the monoliths with by drowning them in sluggas)

Your C point has a big flaw is that necrons are not a race of merciless unthinking mudred driving machines by the C'tan gods like in the older fluff. In the new fluff dynasties have their own agendas and plans, most of it to rebuild the Necrontyr Empire while constantly bickering and squabbling on who is to be in charge. Plus the Silent King is trying to rally the necrontyr to battle nids mainly as it sees it as the biggest threath after his holiday trip in the void for countless millennia. So they arent a saturday morning cartoon villain anymore, unlike Failbaddon.
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 05 May, 2016 4:57 pm

Also let's not forget it's the tenth anniversary of Dark Crusade this year, and Necrons got a new codex lately albeit nothing much was added due to it being seventh ed.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Thu 05 May, 2016 6:41 pm

January 2015 is not a recent Codex Swift :)
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Thu 05 May, 2016 7:51 pm

Necron retcon, TLS Space Jesus, and the quote -> seems pretty obvious. So I’m guessing they will start as the unplayable late campaign enemy and the first expansion will make them a playable faction, which the studio will be semi prepared for already.

The trailed body cascades do look like a symbolic Chaos thing, though, kind of like the attack on Ultramar in HH where they were killing masses of people to build up a Warp storm and shit.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe there would be 4 playable MP factions to begin with, even if one was unplayable in SP.
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Thu 05 May, 2016 8:22 pm

Lulgrim wrote:EDIT: On second thought, maybe there would be 4 playable MP factions to begin with, even if one was unplayable in SP.

That would cause less forum whining but three is a better number for balance.

I get the feeling this is the same engine so this could almost be a dow2 mod
-- increase squad sizes
-- new formations with better spacing
-- new maps with less obstructions to deal with pathing
-- add some buildings to all races using IG bunkers as a template
-- twiddle the cover system, chiefly to deal with pathing and the larger squad siZes

Tada! I think this is the game people were expecting when dow2 came. It's kind of a step backwards but also exciting when I imagine many more new players
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Thu 05 May, 2016 8:47 pm

co op campain would be nice
"Does the Seer see its own doom!?" -Tau commander
2torpid4u: You still haven't sucked my big pink nipples Agu :(
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Thu 05 May, 2016 8:58 pm

We're screwed,