DOW3 Open Beta Tournament 1v1

Tournament discussion and registration.
Vindicarex
Head of Balance

DOW3 Open Beta Tournament 1v1

Postby Vindicarex » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 10:44 pm

I know a lot of you think DoW3 is a trash game, but there's a 1v1 tournament for both NA and EU on the 23rd for DoW3 Open Beta:

NA: https://play.eslgaming.com/dawnofwar/no ... h-america/

EU: https://play.eslgaming.com/dawnofwar/eu ... -1-europe/

I've signed up for both (since, likely, NA will not have nearly as much participation as EU, but we'll see). - OFC, probably will only commit to one.
PaperBaG
Level 2

Re: DOW3 Open Beta Tournament 1v1

Postby PaperBaG » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 9:27 am

Would love to play in it but I still havn't played the game yet and doubt I could just pick it up already in a day over people that have been playing since alpha and closed beta
Vindicarex
Head of Balance

Postby Vindicarex » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 10:52 am

There have only been 2 closed beta weekends that let people play afaik - don't think anyone had access to it before that.
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 11:32 am

3 closed beta weekends, not 2.
The people who had an access to even only one weekend will have an obvious advantage.

But who cares anyway.
There is no price.
And if you want DOW3 to be a competitive game and you can play the tournament, just play it.
What's important right now is to see if there is a big enough pool of players willing to play a tournament.
No one will flag you as a noob if you'll lose on first round because you didn't have an early access, to someone with 30+ hours in DOW3 yet. Everyone will understand that.
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 1:18 pm

Oi, you nicked my thread :x
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Vindicarex
Head of Balance

Postby Vindicarex » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 9:23 pm

Not to mention the beta version will lack the full option of Elites/Doctrines to choose from - as well as only having 1 map to play.

; ) @Swiftsabre
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 10:58 pm

Yeah, this is hardly going to be some competitive showing and I'll probably spend the first two rounds just crushing scrubs that never even played the game soooo. Still, sounds like a decent use of a few hours.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 12:09 am

If Relic didn't make any efforts for a tournament at all, would people complain? Yes.

I don't quite get the "aww" angle, here. Surely a tournament is better than having none at all?
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 8:11 am

Gorbles wrote:If Relic didn't make any efforts for a tournament at all, would people complain? Yes.

I don't quite get the "aww" angle, here. Surely a tournament is better than having none at all?

Relic is involved in this ESL tournament ?
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 10:52 am

GuruSkippy wrote:
Gorbles wrote:If Relic didn't make any efforts for a tournament at all, would people complain? Yes.

Relic is involved in this ESL tournament ?

I mistakenly assumed Relic had done outreach on this. That's not to say there wasn't contact behind the scenes, but I don't know and I don't want to assume.

Replace "Relic" with "ESL", makes no difference to me. Tournament better than none, no?
PaperBaG
Level 2

Postby PaperBaG » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 11:15 am

GuruSkippy wrote:3 closed beta weekends, not 2.
The people who had an access to even only one weekend will have an obvious advantage.

But who cares anyway.
There is no price.
And if you want DOW3 to be a competitive game and you can play the tournament, just play it.
What's important right now is to see if there is a big enough pool of players willing to play a tournament.
No one will flag you as a noob if you'll lose on first round because you didn't have an early access, to someone with 30+ hours in DOW3 yet. Everyone will understand that.

Alright you twisted my arm :) you can sign up for both divisions btw?
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 11:53 am

Gorbles wrote: Tournament better than none, no?

never said the opposite :)
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 11:55 am

GuruSkippy wrote:
Gorbles wrote: Tournament better than none, no?

never said the opposite :)

No worries, just covering myself because I swore I'd seen Relic engagement on this. Too many threads on the official forums, long week :)
PaperBaG
Level 2

Postby PaperBaG » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 11:15 pm

Hey tech noob ? here....how do u take a screenshot for the result of the match and is it still going to be bo3 if there's not that many players?
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 23 Apr, 2017 12:39 am

I'm also having trouble signing up for the tournament in general :/
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Sun 23 Apr, 2017 3:37 am

Not bothering to sign up for this garbage.

I'm a man of principles and I just can't stand for this. I'm sorry to say this guys, but Starcraft 2 is far superior to DOW3 (in every way even?). Hell, I find DOW2 is even a lot better in most areas. There, I said it!
We should all be boycotting this lame duck sham of a cash grab. I feel like participating and interacting with Relic at this point only serves to encourage their bullshit.

Sigh...
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 23 Apr, 2017 4:44 am

Uh oh, this thread contains dangerous levels of wrongthink. The Relic Internet Defense Force is on their way to detain you.
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Sun 23 Apr, 2017 6:41 am

Tex wrote:Not bothering to sign up for this garbage.

I'm a man of principles and I just can't stand for this. I'm sorry to say this guys, but Starcraft 2 is far superior to DOW3 (in every way even?). Hell, I find DOW2 is even a lot better in most areas. There, I said it!
We should all be boycotting this lame duck sham of a cash grab. I feel like participating and interacting with Relic at this point only serves to encourage their bullshit.

Sigh...

"Does the Seer see its own doom!?" -Tau commander
2torpid4u: You still haven't sucked my big pink nipples Agu :(
Marutectz
Level 1

Postby Marutectz » Sun 23 Apr, 2017 9:57 pm

Tex wrote:Not bothering to sign up for this garbage.

Sigh...

I only have one link to convey my expression, but that's what I feel and see.

To Die in the Death Korps, is to Atone for Sins our forefathers have committed against the Emperor. To Die is to Live.

Dawn of War Eternal Crusade Referral Code: EC-54OK8W9O12HQL
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sun 23 Apr, 2017 11:48 pm

Tex wrote:We should all be boycotting this lame duck sham of a cash grab.

Why should "we" do this? Because you not liking the game is prolly not that great of an argument to convince people that like the game
to follow your suggestion.

And in before you say that those people are clueless, well people have different tastes and they might like things you might not like
and vice versa.

The big question is why do you even care what other people do? If you feel like DoW 3 is a rip off or a "lame duck sham of a cash grab",
good, don't buy it and move on, but don't try to tell other people what they should do because you don't like aforementioned product.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 3:30 am

You don't have to like it, boycotting is another thing entirely. No point ruining everyone else's fun because you didn't get the game you wanted.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 4:47 am

I take it back, all eldar are cheeseheads that spam rangers >:O

I mean, I ultimately went 3-1 till I had to duck out but still!
crazyman64335
Shoutcaster

Postby crazyman64335 » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 5:34 am

Atlas wrote:I take it back, all eldar are cheeseheads that spam rangers >:O

i've been saying fuck eldar for years and none of you nerds believed me

who's laughing now
the fucking eldar still, fuck the fucking fuckers.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 11:22 am

MaxPower wrote:
Tex wrote:We should all be boycotting this lame duck sham of a cash grab.

Why should "we" do this? Because you not liking the game is prolly not that great of an argument to convince people that like the game
to follow your suggestion.

And in before you say that those people are clueless, well people have different tastes and they might like things you might not like
and vice versa.

The big question is why do you even care what other people do? If you feel like DoW 3 is a rip off or a "lame duck sham of a cash grab",
good, don't buy it and move on, but don't try to tell other people what they should do because you don't like aforementioned product.

Tex makes a valid point though. If you aspire to create a multiplayer game that is supposed to be competitive and cutting-edge then you are going to be held to said goals. Now Tex may not have phrased it elegantly but he was 100% right with his assessment concerning said goals. Furthermore, just as you are probably fed up reading all these negative comments about DoW3, many are fed up by people who completely disregard their views as needless or whining.

After having played the second beta phase I did not need to play the open beta to know that the game mechanics will not have improved or that balance has not been a major concern (so close to the game being released) or that the graphics will reflect what I expect out of a W40k game title that is supposed to succeed Dawn of War 2: Retribution in the year 2017 with all that is available on the market.
I also agree with Tex on DoW3 being a cheap money grab because while the idea of a MOBA-RTS hybrid is a bold and interesting idea, it seems that they ran out of time and just put together that THING which is the current DoW3 to at least make some cash out of it and maybe give it a much needed overhaul after it showed some promise in the first few weeks. I mean come on, the gameplay design is just awful. Each game is basically decided in the first 10 minutes and the rest is just artificially prolonging the inevitable defeat that will surely come (I am not even talking balance here - Elite units wiping entire armies with one attack.............1111!!!!!). I will not go over all the details here because they have been discussed already.

Relic may have had a vision but it is flawed and the community needs to point it out. I will repeat: trying to shut up valid concerns, criticism and nay-sayers is counter-productive, Max. You are simply not paying attention to what these people are actually saying.
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 2:40 pm

This game went from noob-nuking fun to cheese-tastic sniper spam in less than three days of open beta.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 2:45 pm

hiveminion wrote:

This game went from noob-nuking fun to cheese-tastic sniper spam in less than three days of open beta.

Sniper spam was a thing since closed beta 1, when they did double the damage that they do now.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 4:13 pm

Now that we have had a chance to play some DOW3, is it different from what you guys expected? For me, it is exactly what I expected, which is weird because it was and probably still is "too early to tell".
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 4:21 pm

Oddnerd wrote:Now that we have had a chance to play some DOW3, is it different from what you guys expected? For me, it is exactly what I expected, which is weird because it was and probably still is "too early to tell".

I quite like it for what it is, I had a lot more fun in multiplayer than i thought I would. Nuking blobs never gets old. But I still prefer DoW1 and DoW2 in terms of style and substance.
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 8:41 pm

hiveminion wrote:
Oddnerd wrote:Now that we have had a chance to play some DOW3, is it different from what you guys expected? For me, it is exactly what I expected, which is weird because it was and probably still is "too early to tell".

I quite like it for what it is, I had a lot more fun in multiplayer than i thought I would. Nuking blobs never gets old. But I still prefer DoW1 and DoW2 in terms of style and substance.

That's where I find 1v1 shines tbh, because it gets a lot more intense there. Team games turn to mush quite quickly if one side doesn't get a decisive push in, but 1v1 is usually pretty stimulating, and if you get a stomp, then most people quit before ten minutes anyway.
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 8:53 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:
hiveminion wrote:

That's where I find 1v1 shines tbh, because it gets a lot more intense there. Team games turn to mush quite quickly if one side doesn't get a decisive push in, but 1v1 is usually pretty stimulating, and if you get a stomp, then most people quit before ten minutes anyway.

Well sure but 1v1s are for sad people.

Return to “Tournaments”