Tharen101
Level 1

BMC Beginner\Average Joe's Competitive Circuit Announcement

Postby Tharen101 » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 5:45 am

Bad Moon Clan
presents
The DOW2 Beginner’s/Average Joe’s Competitive Circuit

Overview
This competitive circuit will consist of weekly tournaments which award points toward a monthly ladder. The goal of this circuit is to provide a low pressure opportunity for new players and moderately experienced players to hone their competitive 1v1 skills and improve their overall play. =

The tournaments will use a Swiss pairing system with one game played per round. Short swiss tournaments are held every Sunday (except the last of each month) with a door prize awarded to one random player who completes all the rounds. The last Sunday of the month we will host a larger tournament that features prizes for the top 3 winners and the matches will be best out of 3 rather than just 1 game as the Sunday tournaments are.

Eligibility
This circuit is designed to encourage newer players to enter the competitive scene and to grow the community so only new and midlevel players in DOW2 1v1 can participate. Only players who are Tier 2 and Tier 3 on the ESL ladder may participate.

Signing up and Tournament Hosting

All players interested in the series need to friend me on steam so that I can properly coordinate the event. My steam profile link is: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988885654/

All the signup links are listed in the post below. We will be using BattleFY to coordinate this series.

Also please join the steam group
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/D2EBC#
This group will be used to post announcements and to create the chat for the tournaments.

Time

The short tournaments will be held on Sundays starting at 3pm EDT (19UTC). There will also be a larger once a month Saturday tournament which starts at 11 am EDT (15UTC)

Format
Each week (except the week with the last Sunday) there will be a circuit tournament with Swiss pairings which will have a door prize.

The Saturday tournament will also be swiss paired with best out of three games per match.

Short Sunday Rules
• The tournament will use a Swiss pairings system.
• Each match will consist of a single 1v1 match. (Matches are restricted to one game to keep the tournament moving swiftly)
• Each participant must choose their faction at the start of the tournament but may play any hero from within that faction
• You must run ESL reporter during your game.

Lastt Sunday Rules
• The tournament will use a Swiss pairings system.
• Each match will consist of a best of 3 games per match.
• Each player must choose 3 heroes before the tournament. Those are the only heroes a player may use during the tournament.
• You must run ESL reporter during your game.

Swiss System
Swiss pairing allows for all participants to play in every round. The number of rounds will be determined by the total number of participants. In the case of an odd number of players, one player with the fewest points (or tied for the fewest points) will be awarded a bye. The bye will count as a win.
A more detailed explanation of swiss pairing systems can be found here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament)
# of rounds by player total
<9 players 3 Rounds
9-16 players 4 Rounds
16-32 Players 5 Rounds
32-64 Players 6 Rounds

Final Standings will be determined by match win percentage. The first tie breaker will be opponents match win percentage. This is calculated by average the match win percentage of all of a players opponents. For the Last Sunday tournament game win percetage will be used as an additional tie breaker.

Tournament Registration and Organization
Each weekly tournament will be hosted and paired using Battlefy.com. You must register for the tournament by the posted deadline and then check in on the site saying you are present during the allotted check in time.

Links to each weeks tournaments are posted below.

At the start of the tournament you will be paired with your opponent by Battlefy. Other organizers and I will be able to assist you if you are having trouble arranging your game.
You will need to report the results of your match on Battlefy and post a screenshot of the score screen.

Discord
Edit: We will be using a discord server as our voice option for the tournament. You do not need a mic to particpate in the tournament but it is encouraged.

https://discord.gg/szPvjgd is the link to the voice channel for the tournament system.

Prizes

Each week the winner of the door prize can pick from the pool of remaining prizes.
Current Prize pool – Commandos Collection, Witcher 1, Witcher 2, Spelunky, Magika, Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion.

Prizes for the Saturday tournament will be listed on the Battlefy page when they are determined.

Thank you to Fe for his game donations.

Additional Rules
The goal of this tournament circuit is to encourage new and mid-level players and to grow the community. As a result, there will be no tolerance for toxic behavior. Constructive criticism to help players improve is encouraged but disparaging or making fun of players for their mistakes will not be tolerated.
It is expected that all players show good sportsmanship both in winning and in losing. Saltiness and or negativity should be kept to yourself and not shared with the group.

New Player Recruitment
There is no limit to the numbers of players participating so please let as many people who might be interested in the series know about it. The more we promote the community the better our tournaments will get.

Casters and Streamers
We are looking for people interested in casting and streaming our tournaments. Please contact Tharen101 on steam or the forum.

Coaching
While this tournament series is set up to encourage new players Dawn or War 2 is a complex game. It takes a great deal of practice to develop into a competent player and there is a lot of information to learn to reach a basic level of competence. Players who are truly new are encouraged to participate but may find the experience frustrating. One of the best ways to improve is with the help of a more experienced coach. If you would like to volunteer as a coach please PM on steam
Last edited by Tharen101 on Thu 01 Sep, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Tharen101
Level 1

Re: Beginner\Average Joe's Competative Circuit Announcement

Postby Tharen101 » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 6:09 am

Reserved for Battlefy links

August Week 1: Welcome to the Jungle
Link: https://battlefy.com/bad-moon-clan/bmc- ... 79301/info

Results:
1st.......12pts Rich Piana
2nd......8pts Fe
3rd......7pts Soberson
4th......6pts An'grathul
5-8th....3pts Kami, Nikster, Philippus12, Tharen101 (Non point earner)
8th+.....1pt Viva Mirya, Alman, IG in Training (Sage), Valar

Philippus12 won the weekly door prize! He selected Witcher 1 as his prize!

August Week 2: Rage Against the Machine
https://battlefy.com/bad-moon-clan/bmc- ... 696ce/info

Results
1st.....10pts An’grathul
2nd....7pts Fe
3rd....6pts Valar
4th....5pts Tharen
5-8th 3pts Phillipus, Nikster, Kami, _4uT_
9-10th 1pt Alman, Redline

Congrats to Redline for winning the door prize. He selected Castle Crashers.

August Week 3: Desert Rose
https://battlefy.com/bad-moon-clan/bmc- ... b0d4e/info

Results
1st.....10pts An’grathul
2nd....7pts Nikster
3rd....6pts DnB_Skizo
4th....5pts Fe
5-8th 3pts Tharen, Alman, Phillipus, Ninth
9-10th 1pt Mithras
DNF: Viva

Door Prize: Skizo won this week and selected Tropico 4

August Week 4: Earth Wind and Fire
https://battlefy.com/bad-moon-clan/bmc- ... 696f0/info

1st PaperBag 8pts
2nd Blessed 6pts
3rd Valar 4pts
4th An'grathul 4pts
5-8th 1pt Asx, Hummi, Tharen, Phillipus
Also congrats to Valar for winning the door prize! He chose Portal 2!

August Final Standings (for point earners):

1st: Nikster
2nd: Valar
3rd: Phillipus12
4th: Soberson
4th: Skizo
6th: Kami
7th: Alman
8th: 4uT
8th: Ninth

We also had several other additional participants who we were happy to welcome into the circuit!

September Week 1:

https://battlefy.com/bad-moon-clan/bmc- ... 72333/info
Last edited by Tharen101 on Thu 01 Sep, 2016 5:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 6:15 am

Not gonna lie, I'm not sure I understand all of what I read. But this looks pretty effing sweet!
How is this actually going to be managed though? Will these kind of weekly tournaments need streamers and such?
Tharen101
Level 1

Postby Tharen101 » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 6:54 am

I'll manage the weekly events. They should all take less than 3 hours (I anticipate about two). The pairings and reporting will all be taken care of through battlefy. I have managed similar tournaments on the site before.

Is there anything specifically that is confusing that I could clarify?
The Dragon Reborn
Level 1

Postby The Dragon Reborn » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 2:36 pm

This is a cool idea, hopefully we can get a few people to join in.
darthmisery
Level 1

Postby darthmisery » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 5:46 am

Really does sound like a fun idea. I'm looking forward to taking part. Hopefully I get the time right this time around :?
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Fri 29 Jul, 2016 9:53 pm

i like to stream dat circuit and paperbag is gonna go co-commentate with me, but im not 100% if i can so, if i dont have time i will tell you soon enough ;)
Philippus12
Level 1

Postby Philippus12 » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 12:26 am

Damn that looks awesome!

Friend invite sent :)

EDIT:

Just noticed that I cant play in the first week of august (apart from maybe saturday) since I will attending a small metal festival in northern germany ;)
Hope that doesnt make it impossible for me to participate in general?
Torpid

Re: Beginner\Average Joe's Competitive Circuit Announcement

Postby Torpid » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 3:58 am

Everyone promote this like wildfire.

DO IT.

If we want the game to stay alive for any period of time at all after DOW3 we need more newbies getting better.

Everyone complains about there not being enough high level players.

Promote this.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Crewfinity
Level 4

Re: Beginner\Average Joe's Competitive Circuit Announcement

Postby Crewfinity » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 6:33 am

Would be happy to cocast with someone if you want more coverage on the streams :)
Just lemme know. Unfortunately my laptop is way to shitty for me to stream :/
Nurland

Beginner\Average Joe's Competitive Circuit Announcement

Postby Nurland » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 11:26 am

I can do some streaming.

My weekends are a bit tricky due to personal life but i will try to make myself available whenever possible. I think I can stream this weekend.
#noobcodex
Tharen101
Level 1

Re: BMC Beginner\Average Joe's Competitive Circuit Announcement

Postby Tharen101 » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 2:28 am

Awesome! Add me on steam if you want to stream. Also, if anyone is interested in refereeing or just helping coordinate matches and such on the day of let me know.
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Thu 11 Aug, 2016 3:19 pm

so ehm i would also stream and comment the next weekend if this would be possible and at best do commenting with someone if there is a dude who wants to :)
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Thu 11 Aug, 2016 5:39 pm

Can I get an idea of what level of skill level is acceptable here? I'm interested in joining up, but might be "2pro" for this.
Philippus12
Level 1

Postby Philippus12 » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 11:26 pm

Imho: you are just slightly 2 pro xD

You have more than 2 years of experience judging by your account creation date.
But I dont make the rules.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 1:45 am

Fair enough :P
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Sun 01 Oct, 2017 4:54 pm

Looks nice, I just stumbled upon this tournament after watching a shoutcast on youtube. I'm only starting with DOW2 so I think I'm the target group of these kinds of events. I could manage the 22nd october. I already donated to help you guys keeping up the good work! You are awesome!

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
Jeffers
Level 0

Postby Jeffers » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 6:41 pm

Schepp himself wrote:Looks nice, I just stumbled upon this tournament after watching a shoutcast on youtube. I'm only starting with DOW2 so I think I'm the target group of these kinds of events. I could manage the 22nd october. I already donated to help you guys keeping up the good work! You are awesome!

Greets
Schepp himself

i think you need to go to the september-october beginners tournament (hosted by angrathul). this thread is a year old
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 03 Oct, 2017 11:40 am

Locking this thread because An'grathul has another, much more relevant one elsewhere.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.

Return to “Tournaments”