Good News: Elite Mod on Mac

Discussion on technical issues (installation, launching).
fragrantpanda
Level 0

Good News: Elite Mod on Mac

Postby fragrantpanda » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 1:59 pm

I know there have been a few posts but I wanted to share this for people who want to play Elite Mod that have either moved away from a PC or have only ever had a Mac.

I run a late 2013 MacBook Pro, 8GB Ram and it was the top CPU at the time. 500GB SSD. Intel Iris Pro Graphics.

I never thought to try running it on a MacBook pro because I thought the graphics card would be too weak but this isn't the case. I tested the Mac version of Retribution via Steam MacOs and it ran fine. So then I investigated further.

There are options to run sim software and the like but I couldn't get any of these to work properly. I therefore looked into Bootcamp.

It's not quite as easy at it makes out on the blurb but it isn't that difficult to partition some of your SDD into a windows suitable environment. Buy a Windows Activation key from ebay (mine cost 2.99 pounds) and then load windows onto your mac.

I eventually used Windows 10 because there were a few annoyances trying to install and run it from Windows 7 (namely that Windows 7 can't fully utilise USB3 drives which you need to create a boot disk for Windows). The answer is either to use a USB 2 drive which should work (but i didn't try that) or go for Windows 10 which contains the drivers you need to run the keyboard and mouse for the windows install.

I made a 75GB SDD partition and boot usb stick using Bootcamp Assistant which comes built into the MacOS and then installed Windows on the Partition.

There is one part where you try and install Windows and it tells you that the partition is not NTFS formatted, but you can choose to format the partition at this point into NFTS and you should do this.

Windows installed fine. Then i installed Steam and then Elite Mod - running just like a normal PC would.

The only snafu i hit was that games wouldn't load on steam but I followed some advice i found on this (and other forums) for windows 10 that sometimes you have to re-install DX9.

''C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dawn of War II - Retribution\Install

double click on DXsetup and reinstall the DX9 .dll file.

This will NOT change DX12 for Windows 10. ''

This also installed some network apparatus that is was missing. After this and a reset of the computer - Retribution and Elite Mod have been running fine.

The graphics card isn't so hot but i have tuned the resolution down and all the flashy gubbins and so far 1v1s and 2v2s have been seamless. Still to try it out on a 3v3 meat grinder but I'll get back to you.

I would love to get this message out there and spread the word because if my 5 year old laptop can run it there must be loads of people's Mac's that could BOOTCAMP it and get it running and hopefully expand the Elite Mod playerbase.

Lots of Love

Quirkles.
Atlas

Re: Good News: Elite Mod on Mac

Postby Atlas » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 7:47 pm

This is great to know, thank you for dropping this nugget on us.
ZaellixA
Level 0

Postby ZaellixA » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 10:28 am

Hey there,

Just installed Windows on my MacBook Pro (for specs see below). Seems to work fine, just wanna add some comments on the steps (I'll keep it brief as this isn't a Relic/Steam/Windows/Bootcamp forum).

It's not quite as easy at it makes out on the blurb but it isn't that difficult to partition some of your SDD into a windows suitable environment

Creating the USB for the Windows setup and partitioning the disk (as well as downloading the latest Windows support files) was easy as hell for me (Bootcamp takes care of it completely).

There is one part where you try and install Windows and it tells you that the partition is not NTFS formatted, but you can choose to format the partition at this point into NFTS and you should do this.

Unfortunately wasn't so easy for me. I was unable to format the partition and had to try many times to get it running. Apparently there is a way to invoke some MS-DOS calls at the point where you are prompted to choose the partition you want to install Windows (Shift+F10) and there is some videos online that show you how to format and partition the disk from there. I ended up not doing it this way, just worked after like 6-8 tries (Initially I was unable to format and the last time I tried it was formatted correctly...!!!).
There is one guy online that states that you have to initialize the setup 5-6 times and each time change the move your USB to a different slot and this will work. Could be that I fell in this category...

The only snafu i hit was that games wouldn't load on steam but I followed some advice i found on this (and other forums) for windows 10 that sometimes you have to re-install DX9

Same issue here... Elite (or Retribution) where not launching and after some search I found out that I was missing directX. Instead of installing from Retribution folder I downloaded an official Microsoft installer and that did the work (if you tested it, I guess there is no difference between the two approaches).

The graphics card isn't so hot but i have tuned the resolution down and all the flashy gubbins and so far 1v1s and 2v2s have been seamless.

Yep, I did test it on a 3v3, but it was an offline ("Private Custom game") and I can't really say how it will behave on the net with a whole bunch of explosions and psykers casting everywhere. But, as for this 3v3 it went quite well with occasional framerate drops to around 25 (if I lower a bit more the graphics I believe it will run smoothly).

I too hope to see more players coming in from the "Mac-side".

Have fun everyone,

Z.

Laptop Specs
Laptop: MacBook Pro (Mid 2012)
CPU: i5 3210M @ 2.50 GHz
RAM: 8 GB @ 1333 MHz (1 slot of 4 GB @ 1600 MHz and 1 slot of 4 GB @ 1333 MHz)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000

EDIT: I thought I should include my e-mail here in case anyone may need help with the matter in the future. So, if anyone find themselves stuck on the process of trying to play their favorite game (DoW II - Elite that is :)) on BootCamp feel free to send me on axilleaz@hotmail.com.

Take care, have fun and DoW a lot.

Z
fragrantpanda
Level 0

Postby fragrantpanda » Sat 11 Apr, 2020 7:34 am

Update:

Just to say I got a new computer last year, bootcamped it as normal and because this Macbook Pro has a dedicated graphics card then DOW Elite Mod runs brilliantly. I can run full effects no problem.

My mac brothers and sisters - get involved.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Have Fun
Z0E the Unworthy
Level 0

Postby Z0E the Unworthy » Fri 02 Jun, 2023 8:52 am

Hello,

I have technical issues playing on MacBook with apple silicon M2 (Parallels desktop, Win 11).
Everytime any unit charges, the game pauses and throws following error:

"Misc_ OnChargeBuff from ScarFunctionCallAction.

Since it occurs 5 times a second, it's unplayable.
I have fresh Steam DoW2: Retribution, Elite mod v2.9.9.
Changing graphic details or verifying integrity didn't help, the error occurs both in SP and MP on any map.

What other details should I provide? Please assist. Thanks.
SoulEater
Level 1

Postby SoulEater » Fri 02 Jun, 2023 4:53 pm

Z0E the Unworthy wrote:Hello,

I have technical issues playing on MacBook with apple silicon M2 (Parallels desktop, Win 11).
Everytime any unit charges, the game pauses and throws following error:

"Misc_ OnChargeBuff from ScarFunctionCallAction.

Since it occurs 5 times a second, it's unplayable.
I have fresh Steam DoW2: Retribution, Elite mod v2.9.9.
Changing graphic details or verifying integrity didn't help, the error occurs both in SP and MP on any map.

What other details should I provide? Please assist. Thanks.

Hi Zoe. You should ask directly in the Elite Mod discord for the bug report. Not so many people here on the forum these days.
"Never lose hope, even the flowers are born where no one would have ever thought and miracles come true only where there is pain."
~ V. Santoro
Z0E the Unworthy
Level 0

Postby Z0E the Unworthy » Wed 14 Jun, 2023 4:47 pm

Thanks, I have posted the problem there :)

Return to “Technical Issues”