Elite Mod for OSX (Mac)

Discussion on technical issues (installation, launching).
Propolis
Level 0

Elite Mod for OSX (Mac)

Postby Propolis » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 3:57 pm

Seen a few other posts here but no answers. Has ANYONE installed/configured elite mod for the OSX client?

If not, could someone who knows the intricacies of the mod advise what needs to be placed where, configured, etc, what exactly the .exe actually does (so that it can be manually replicated to the steam game folder on osx client).

I saw a post on another forum with the following:

You can use 7zip to extract the files from the installer exe. You need the following
dawn of war ii - retribution\Elite.module
dawn of war ii - retribution\Elite\Archives
dawn of war ii - retribution\Elite\Config
dawn of war ii - retribution\GameAssets\Locale\English\Elite.ucs

launch with 
steam.exe -applaunch 56400 -nomovies -modname Elite

I've downloaded the mods already and extracted the exe files. Would moving those relevant files/folders from the exe to the game folder work?
Deflaktor
Level 2

Re: Elite Mod for OSX (Mac)

Postby Deflaktor » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 5:58 pm

If you play the linux or mac version of Dawn of War 2, you cannot play multiplayer with players who play the windows version. And with elite being a multiplayer mod, it would not really make sense to support the linux/mac version of Dawn of War 2.

So I suggest you to rather setup wine. With Wine cross-multiplayer works because you are essentially playing the windows version.
Dawn of War 2 runs very well under wine and I had no problems setting it up with elite mod in Ubuntu. So it should also work on a mac.
Propolis
Level 0

Postby Propolis » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 6:16 pm

So I'm running it in wine now and the elite mod is working but the game keeps fucking crashing when I go into multiplayer. It happens sometimes when I select a certain map or colour scheme when doing a private game vs AI, any ideas?
Deflaktor
Level 2

Postby Deflaktor » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 5:04 pm

Well, I dont have a Mac and on my Ubuntu it works flawlessly. But I only did one quick game test because my machine is a bit weak and it stutters on Ubuntu. I usually play on Windows because the performance is better there.

Did you check the version of Wine you are using? According to winehq you need at least 1.8
You could also try using latest version of Wine 2.11 which was released recently.

If it all does not work you might need to open a topic at the wine forums.
FunkyMonkey
Level 1

Postby FunkyMonkey » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 7:29 pm

I would like some help on getting the mod to run on OSX.

So, I saw the previous comments on what files should be placed, and I'm pretty sure I have the files correctly placed.

However, the game still crashes upon launch whenever I have the launch options for the mod. Any suggestions?
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 11:08 pm

Elite.module should not be in the Elite Folder, only within the normal game directory. Try that change!
FunkyMonkey
Level 1

Postby FunkyMonkey » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, but Elite.module actually isn't in the Elite folder, despite how it looks. It's under Dawn War 2 - Retribution.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 6:11 pm

And I presume all of it should be under "DoWIIRetri Data" as well on Macs? Because otherwise it should all just be under Dawn of War II: Retribution and not another subfolder.
FunkyMonkey
Level 1

Postby FunkyMonkey » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 7:51 pm

Ok, so I moved the files under the Retribution Data file, and the mod works. All that's left now is the NoRange bug, which is odd, since I only have the original dow2.ucs and elite.ucs under it. I did move the elite.ucs file from the locale/english file that came from the mod zip into the original dow2 locale/english file that comes with the game. Not sure if that affects anything.
FunkyMonkey
Level 1

Postby FunkyMonkey » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 7:54 pm

so I played with moving the original dow2.ucs and elite.ucs files in an out of the english folder, and it seems that the issue is that the computer is only using either one at a time, not both.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 4:25 am

That's really strange, I might need to think about this a bit but I don't see a reason why it would only go one or the other.

Return to “Technical Issues”