Crashing Issue

Discussion on technical issues (installation, launching).
Private Hix
Level 1

Crashing Issue

Postby Private Hix » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 11:47 pm

Hello,

I have been having an issue with Vanilla DoW II, all sound except for the music will go out and then it will crash a few minutes later. It happens in Last Stand and Multiplayer. It hasn't occurred in Elite thus far, but if it does I'll be sure to let you guys know! I haven't played Elite too much, mostly because all the matches that I have seen pop up are usually 40+/60+ haha.

Any ideas on what could be causing the crash? Is there an error log I could look at?
Indrid

Re: Crashing Issue

Postby Indrid » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 5:04 am

It's an ancient bug that exasperates us to this day. No known fix.
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 6:28 am

Indrid wrote:It's an ancient bug that exasperates us to this day. No known fix.

Damn really? Well that is kind of a bummer..

Has this bug only been around in Retribution? I have around 130 hours or so in DoW II and I never encountered it, only in Retribution.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 7:01 am

It's kind of a default thing that happens and just appears as a sound bug. I've had it before twice and solved it, but other people have the same bug for a different reason. One of mine was solved by turning off Morphological Filtering in my AMD settings and the other was whenever I change to a new sound device while the game is running. Like turning off my speakers and using my headphones.
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 8:12 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:It's kind of a default thing that happens and just appears as a sound bug. I've had it before twice and solved it, but other people have the same bug for a different reason. One of mine was solved by turning off Morphological Filtering in my AMD settings and the other was whenever I change to a new sound device while the game is running. Like turning off my speakers and using my headphones.

Hmm, I'll take a look at my Nvidia and sound settings, thanks! Strange...
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 4:13 pm

Yeah soundbug nearly killed this game for me. I've always had the soundbug, sometimes more frequently than others. Even when I bought a new computer. About a month ago it was really bad, I got the soundbug in almost 50% of my games. Then I realised I had been hosting games more often than before. I haven't hosted a game for weeks and never had the soundbug in games I've joined (dozens by now), except one time when I was watching a replay. It is certainly not a fix because I distinctly remember getting a soundbug in one of Indrid's faction wars, and a non-host player in one of my recent games also had the soundbug. But it might reduce the frequency of it occurring significantly.

Also, Windows 8 & 10 appear to increase soundbug frequency. I run Elite with compatibility mode for Windows XP, but I'm not sure if that has helped.
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 4:59 pm

hiveminion wrote:Yeah soundbug nearly killed this game for me. I've always had the soundbug, sometimes more frequently than others. Even when I bought a new computer. About a month ago it was really bad, I got the soundbug in almost 50% of my games. Then I realised I had been hosting games more often than before. I haven't hosted a game for weeks and never had the soundbug in games I've joined (dozens by now), except one time when I was watching a replay. It is certainly not a fix because I distinctly remember getting a soundbug in one of Indrid's faction wars, and a non-host player in one of my recent games also had the soundbug. But it might reduce the frequency of it occurring significantly.

Also, Windows 8 & 10 appear to increase soundbug frequency. I run Elite with compatibility mode for Windows XP, but I'm not sure if that has helped.

Yeah it's started to happen to me about that often too... Everyone has the issue where it crashes after the sound going out right? Or were you just having the sound issue?

I was thinking about compatibility mode, maybe I'll try it for Windows Vista. DoW II was released on Vista, right? Or was it released on Windows 7?

The thing that baffles me the most is that there doesn't appear to be any kind of error log for this issue!
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 11:18 am

The error logs only tend to record up to the point where the game stopped working, so particularly nasty exceptions won't even leave a trace. However, if the game triggers the Relic error reporter dialogue, you should absolutely use this and it does get sent to Relic's end. I don't think they have the resources to manage DoW II at the moment though (speculation on my part).

DoW II was released in early 2009, roughly half a year before Windows 7 was released. But this has little bearing on what it was developed on (or what Chaos Rising or Retribution were developed on, in terms of developer environments).
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 3:25 pm

Gorbles wrote:The error logs only tend to record up to the point where the game stopped working, so particularly nasty exceptions won't even leave a trace. However, if the game triggers the Relic error reporter dialogue, you should absolutely use this and it does get sent to Relic's end. I don't think they have the resources to manage DoW II at the moment though (speculation on my part).

Although I doubt Relic ever will fix the soundbug, I have in my frustration occasionally logged error reports ranging from 'Please fix the soundbug' to 'I WILL BUY DOW3 IF YOU JUST FIX THE FCKING SOUNDBUG'.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 3:45 pm

I mentioned it in the other thread, but they did look at it the last time they patched the games. They weren't able to reproduce it on their end, which means it simply wasn't fixable (in a proper way; they fixed things that could be related to it). It sucks, but that's how software development is. You need to be able to recreate a bug in your developer environment to have a hope in heck of seeing where it's breaking.
Cocainebear
Level 0

Postby Cocainebear » Sun 28 May, 2017 10:43 am

Private Hix wrote:Hello,

I have been having an issue with Vanilla DoW II, all sound except for the music will go out and then it will crash a few minutes later. It happens in Last Stand and Multiplayer. It hasn't occurred in Elite thus far, but if it does I'll be sure to let you guys know! I haven't played Elite too much, mostly because all the matches that I have seen pop up are usually 40+/60+ haha.

Any ideas on what could be causing the crash? Is there an error log I could look at?

I don't want to necro this thread, but here goes.

I am by no means a tech wizz, but i experienced the same problem about every 4 or 5 games. I've read about it on several forums and found no solution, until I tried what the user "nosuchname" says https://steamcommunity.com/app/56400/di ... 604339043/

After I applied that last change it's been about 30 games now and I didn't experienced that bug yet. Hope it helps
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Sun 28 May, 2017 11:21 am

can we take this issue to an organiztion mb and file a complaint or something?
since relic hasnt fixed that for ages
I mean we gotta gather people somehow and push relic to fix it
it is the consumer right of the digital property after all
any ideas?
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Sun 28 May, 2017 11:51 am

Rostam313 wrote:can we take this issue to an organiztion mb and file a complaint or something?
since relic hasnt fixed that for ages
I mean we gotta gather people somehow and push relic to fix it
it is the consumer right of the digital property after all
any ideas?

relic will never fix this bug
they will never fix any bugs for dow2, support for it ended a long time ago. also there just arent enough people imo who care about the issue to pressure relic into fixing it.
Cocainebear
Level 0

Postby Cocainebear » Sun 28 May, 2017 1:42 pm

Has anyone else tried the solution presented above? It's just a simple registry modification. I've noticed no loss in my sound quality after I modified that. Also you can always change it back in case you don't like it.

Just try it out for yourselves. So far it worked for me and another dow2 player. I am using windows 8 btw.

Rostam I tried contacting you today after I saw you vid. Guess I'm on ur ignore list as I can't add you.
SoulEater
Level 1

Postby SoulEater » Wed 08 Feb, 2023 7:55 pm

Late reply, but to anyone that sees this..

https://www.moddb.com/mods/dawn-of-war- ... -elite-mod

Working solution for soundbug is as described in the article.

Cheers!
"Never lose hope, even the flowers are born where no one would have ever thought and miracles come true only where there is pain."
~ V. Santoro

Return to “Technical Issues”