Soundbug solution

Discussion on technical issues (installation, launching).
531st
Level 2

Soundbug solution

Postby 531st » Fri 26 Dec, 2014 12:57 pm

Recently had many problems with ppl disconnecting cuz of soundbug. Since i have no idea what exactly is sound bug i asked slaaneshi. And if, according to him, it is the bug that makes ur sound shatter and glitch with game\PC freezing in a few minutes alongside with looping sound, then i had this problem a while ago and i kinda solved it.

Soundbug never happens after reboot. Dunno why. If i reboot after i tuned on my PC, then sound bug never happens :P
Ven
Level 3

Re: Soundbug solution

Postby Ven » Tue 30 Dec, 2014 5:24 am

thats not really a solution, thats more like a prevention.

unfortunately it seems one of those weird reric things, and a simple reboot wont be a permanent solution.

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
Superhooper01
Level 3

Postby Superhooper01 » Thu 01 Jan, 2015 10:43 am

Dam dude saw the heading as was like YES some 1 has the answer..
oh well, it happens when a sound affect ranging from a p-dev shot hitting something to a whole list of sound from ability's or explosions etc which get caught somehow and cause the game to crash within a few mins. 1st sound goes so u only have the music playing then it crashes and this can happen on co-op campaign or multiplayer. I get this maybe once a month but some people get it everyday. I believed lowering the graphics helps but that hasn't helped according to people.

The best way to fix it is if some 1 who never gets it compares his files for the game with some 1 who gets it a lot allowing us to see if it is due to a item being in the wrong folder or something a miss i belive
There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."
Tsototar
Level 2

Postby Tsototar » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 4:06 pm

Superhooper01 wrote:Dam dude saw the heading as was like YES some 1 has the answer..

sigh, same here, I got my hopes raised as well. it happens to me VERY OFTEN (usually when I'm winning!!! Never when I'm losing, when it wouldn't affect the outcome :-P), frustrating.

I have a suspicion that it is affected by the number of "voices", so in the audio settings I've reduced it to minimum, and I think it helps a bit.
All Eldar are witches... even the men
ol'smithy
Level 1

Postby ol'smithy » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 11:12 pm

This is anecdotal on my part, but I swear it happens to me only when a Chaos dread makes an appearance. Do those hull bolters on it still fire silently?
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 12:27 am

ol'smithy wrote:This is anecdotal on my part, but I swear it happens to me only when a Chaos dread makes an appearance. Do those hull bolters on it still fire silently?

no its just very quiet. Even the dread footsteps overpower it.
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 3:24 pm

Batpimp wrote:
ol'smithy wrote:This is anecdotal on my part, but I swear it happens to me only when a Chaos dread makes an appearance. Do those hull bolters on it still fire silently?

no its just very quiet. Even the dread footsteps overpower it.

the sound you likely heard were the sounds of the bullets actually hitting stuff. i remember in the preliminary 2.3.1 patchnotes caeltos mentioned ADDING sound effects to the bolter, but they never were. so nope, no sound effects.

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
WoehlkeTAD
Level 1

Postby WoehlkeTAD » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 5:51 am

I have a question. Have people tried disabling sound altogether? Does this prevent the game from crashing? My comp seems to crash more recently with this bug than it did 6 months ago. People used to talk about the sound bug and I didn't even know what it was. Now my comp seems to get it once a day, and it would be more but I tend to stop playing for the day once I get it once. There is a goal to avoid a reputation of someone that ruins good games.
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 3:18 pm

WoehlkeTAD wrote:I have a question. Have people tried disabling sound altogether? Does this prevent the game from crashing? My comp seems to crash more recently with this bug than it did 6 months ago. People used to talk about the sound bug and I didn't even know what it was. Now my comp seems to get it once a day, and it would be more but I tend to stop playing for the day once I get it once. There is a goal to avoid a reputation of someone that ruins good games.

i dont think anyone has tried it, i guess there is no harm in trying but im sure it wont help. im fairly sure its a bug that stops sound in the process of.... errr melting down the game, or something, i dunno.

but like i said, worth a shot, probably wont do anything.

Tsototar
Level 2

Postby Tsototar » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 7:46 am

you might have something there - I don't know about Chaos, but it might be Dread related (SM inclusive) - I recall very clearly one game where I scrolled the screen toward an engagement and a Dread was firing and the sound bug kicked in.

WoehlkeTAD wrote:Now my comp seems to get it once a day, and it would be more but I tend to stop playing for the day once I get it once.

Hrm, interesting. What I DO know is that if you've got the sound bug, you MUST reboot your PC or it will happen EVERY subsequent game. You don't really need to stop playing the whole day.

It's also followed me onto a new PC (part of the reason I'd gotten a new one was that I hoped it would avoid the bug - some people seem to never have it, I'm curious what their hardware is...)
All Eldar are witches... even the men
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:34 pm

Tsototar wrote:Hrm, interesting. What I DO know is that if you've got the sound bug, you MUST reboot your PC or it will happen EVERY subsequent game. You don't really need to stop playing the whole day.
That's not the case for me ...
Superhooper01
Level 3

Postby Superhooper01 » Fri 10 Apr, 2015 9:06 am

It often happens when a certain sound affect gets stuck or for what ever reason causes all sound affects affect that effect (i recall a p-dev shot impact caused once) to not make any sound the music continues to play which might imply it is linked the the soundtrack at a certain point it conflicts. After around 3-5mins the game closes/crashes and a error message pops up on the desk top. Also if u try and tab out the game gets stuck meaning u cant reopen it much like the chat bug.

Hiveminion seems to get it a fair bit when he plays with me while ive got this bug maybe less than 10 times since 1st playing it. Recall it happening on the campaign on retribution as well.
There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Fri 10 Apr, 2015 4:34 pm

I only experienced it in 3v3 which might imply that it results from the high number of sounds played simultaneously. This very setting that we can indeed modify is perhaps the issue.
Jes
Level 1

Postby Jes » Fri 10 Apr, 2015 7:30 pm

Batpimp wrote:no its just very quiet. Even the dread footsteps overpower it.

Ven wrote:the sound you likely heard were the sounds of the bullets actually hitting stuff. i remember in the preliminary 2.3.1 patchnotes caeltos mentioned ADDING sound effects to the bolter, but they never were. so nope, no sound effects.

The hull bolter has plenty of sound (and effects). Unfortunately they are triggered by the autocannon weapon firing, NOT the actual hull bolter weapon. This is a bug with Relic's model and unrelated to the soundbug(tm).
It goes hand in hand with the inane fact that the dread actually has two storm bolters with the exact same stats and offsets.
Myrdal
Admin

Postby Myrdal » Sat 11 Apr, 2015 8:10 pm

Jes wrote:The hull bolter has plenty of sound (and effects). Unfortunately they are triggered by the autocannon weapon firing, NOT the actual hull bolter weapon. This is a bug with Relic's model and unrelated to the soundbug(tm).
It goes hand in hand with the inane fact that the dread actually has two storm bolters with the exact same stats and offsets.

The storm bolter has its own fire state but just didn't have any sounds or fx attached in the model. You were definitely right about the model being the problem, thankfully Santos model editor made this easy to fix.
DarnedDragoon
Level 2

Postby DarnedDragoon » Sun 03 May, 2015 12:58 am

So is there a solution for the soundbug? I'm still experiencing it.
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Sun 03 May, 2015 2:46 pm

A few months ago I used to get sound bug a lot (like almost once a day), then for the past few weeks I didn't get it once. But the last couple of days I've had it occur daily again (twice yesterday).

What I've noticed is that:
1. Soundbug happens more often if a program is running in the background (web browser, Skype, bittorrent)
2. Soundbug happens more often at higher graphic/audio settings (number of voices etc.)
3. Soundbug *seems* to happen more often if internet traffic is higher on the network (but hard to tell)

I think for me the main culprit is the programs running in the background. Alt-tabbing while in the lobby and opening a web browser might be enough to cause it in the subsequent game even if I close the browser before the game starts.

I don't think it's a specific event or sound that triggers it, I've had it happen at the very start of a game. Most often in hectic 3v3 battles though.
DarnedDragoon
Level 2

Postby DarnedDragoon » Sun 03 May, 2015 4:04 pm

I just experienced it again and I did have chrome running in the background with a lot of tabs open.
DarnedDragoon
Level 2

Postby DarnedDragoon » Tue 05 May, 2015 11:13 pm

Game is constantly crashing now, I had no other programs running, the sound just suddenly crashes and then the game crashes. Is there anyone that can help?
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sat 09 May, 2015 1:05 pm

Is this maybe a memory related issue (i.e. memory leak)? If you (Hiveminion) say this happens when you set quality and sound settings to high this might be the case. Maybe somebody knows how much memory dow2.exe was using prior to the crash. I think it would also help to get some console output from the game just after the sound bug happens.
DarnedDragoon
Level 2

Postby DarnedDragoon » Sat 09 May, 2015 3:03 pm

Here's an old thread with someone having the same issue, they provide some error reports a few posts down: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?264248-Game-s-sound-cuts-out-then-it-crashes, is that what you're looking for?
Superhooper01
Level 3

Postby Superhooper01 » Sat 16 May, 2015 6:23 pm

Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sat 16 May, 2015 9:01 pm

I will try Superhoopers link and come back if there is any downside to this solution.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Thu 21 May, 2015 6:16 pm

The solution did not help. Just got the sound bug today... T_T
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Thu 21 May, 2015 7:21 pm

I have even gotten a new PC (not just for DOW though ^^) so I doubt it is hardware related but as you say, driver related. Both PCs use Realtek devices.
Here is the requested output from DxDiag:

Code: Select all

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/21/2015, 20:12:32
       Machine name: MARSHALL
   Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r9.150322-1500)
           Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: MSI
       System Model: MS-7850
               BIOS: V1.8
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8136MB RAM
          Page File: 2162MB used, 8213MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Lautsprecher (Realtek High Definition Audio)
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_1462D850&REV_1003
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
         Driver Version: 6.00.0001.7293 (English)
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 1/15/2015 02:21:10, 4012632 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
         HW Accel Level: Basic
              Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: 1 - BenQ RL2455 (AMD High Definition Audio Device)
 Default Sound Playback: No
 Default Voice Playback: No
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1003
            Driver Name: AtihdWB6.sys
         Driver Version: 9.00.0000.9905 (English)
          Date and Size: 6/21/2014 19:02:02, 223232 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
            Description: Mikrofon (Realtek High Definition Audio)
  Default Sound Capture: Yes
  Default Voice Capture: Yes
              Cap Flags: 0x1
           Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

I have reduced the amount of voices that can be heard in-game as a last resort.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Thu 21 May, 2015 11:11 pm

Thank you for the effort, but I do install drivers only ever from the vendor site, so that I am not using any generic drivers. I got all my motherboard drivers from the MSI site.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 11:20 am

Adeptus Noobus wrote:I have even gotten a new PC (not just for DOW though ^^) so I doubt it is hardware related but as you say, driver related. Both PCs use Realtek devices.
Here is the requested output from DxDiag:

Code: Select all

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/21/2015, 20:12:32
       Machine name: MARSHALL
   Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r9.150322-1500)
           Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: MSI
       System Model: MS-7850
               BIOS: V1.8
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8136MB RAM
          Page File: 2162MB used, 8213MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Lautsprecher (Realtek High Definition Audio)
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_1462D850&REV_1003
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Description: 1 - BenQ RL2455 (AMD High Definition Audio Device)
 Default Sound Playback: No
 Default Voice Playback: No
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1003
            Driver Name: AtihdWB6.sys
         Driver Version: 9.00.0000.9905 (English)
          Date and Size: 6/21/2014 19:02:02, 223232 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
            Description: Mikrofon (Realtek High Definition Audio)
  Default Sound Capture: Yes
  Default Voice Capture: Yes
              Cap Flags: 0x1
           Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

I have reduced the amount of voices that can be heard in-game as a last resort.

His name is Marshall? How cuteee!!...
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 3:47 pm

You are god damn right it is!

Return to “Technical Issues”