Observing games slower than they are played???

Discussion on technical issues (installation, launching).
WoehlkeTAD
Level 1

Observing games slower than they are played???

Postby WoehlkeTAD » Mon 06 Sep, 2021 10:28 am

When I obs games it is slower than the game being played real time. Is this a thing for everyone or just me? The dialog between players in the game is going at real time. So players will talk about performing an action with a wargear, but the UI does not show the hero has any gear. Also the play is really choppy, like 5 fps choppy. Is there a solution for this? When I play regular games there are no issues with this.
Impregnable
Level 4

Re: Observing games slower than they are played???

Postby Impregnable » Mon 06 Sep, 2021 11:52 pm

You will get an answer faster by asking at the technical-discussion section of the main Elite Discord. https://discord.gg/jKVfpj3

Beside releasing patches, almost all function of forums have moved onto that Discord especially problem solving regarding modding and technical issues. Discord is a preferred medium nowadays for the community.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 06 Sep, 2021 11:59 pm

Yeah this is a known problem. For some reason it's actually much worse when observing even compared to watching replays.

Not really a solution either. I don't even know when this problem started happening. I feel it was when Relic did their last patch and broke the referee mode for observing, but shit maybe it happened all the time I can't recall.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 11:14 am

I had this problem, and it fixed by itself... I'm not sure if a windows update or something else fixed it...
Not really helpfull, I know...
OceansAteAlaska
Level 2

Postby OceansAteAlaska » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 11:30 am

I noticed that when i had lower fps due to observer mode causing lower fps, i would be behind as well. So it might be due to pc performance
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 1:15 pm

Yes it's definitively due to your pc specs. On my old laptop I would always have replay play slower, it was especially highlighted when I tried to go 4 times faster as the engine allows. When I got a new computer it ran smooth and has kept on until now.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 10:57 pm

Steam - Settings - In-Game - In-game FPS counter - Click 'top left' and 'high contrast colour'

30 is low
60 is average
Anything higher is better
Lower graphics settings if FPS is low
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 6:58 am

No you don't understand guys. Observing games, with the bug he has, you fall at 5fps, no joke. While everything works fine when playing. It's so slow that the game itself is delayed.
I had the same bug, and it's not linked to hardware.
OceansAteAlaska
Level 2

Postby OceansAteAlaska » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 4:46 pm

GuruSkippy wrote:No you don't understand guys. Observing games, with the bug he has, you fall at 5fps, no joke. While everything works fine when playing. It's so slow that the game itself is delayed.
I had the same bug, and it's not linked to hardware.

That doesnt really contradict what we said? You generally have lower fps when observing games, and if your pc is not good enough for that then you drop in fps massively for some reason because observer mode somehow requires way more power idk.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 6:52 pm

Right click on Steam - Properties - Compatability - Click to run it in compatibility mode for Windows 7
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 7:10 pm

I did a fresh install of OS and am getting extremely choppy observer mode now too. Think it could be because I'm using a newer graphics driver. Will test some things and get back to you.
WoehlkeTAD
Level 1

Postby WoehlkeTAD » Sat 13 Nov, 2021 1:26 am

Generally when I test the graphics the FPS counter is fine. Never got too low for me. Though I can't remember off the top of my head the current numbers. That being said. I've had this laptop for I think 3 years now, and at first observing games was never a big deal. Then the fps got chopping but the playback was real time. Then I started getting delays in real time probably a year ago, but cannot remember for sure.

Return to “Technical Issues”