Model Resolution

Modding discussion.
David-CZ
Contributor

Model Resolution

Postby David-CZ » Tue 28 May, 2013 1:53 pm

I've been working on a model of a Dark Reaper as the current one is, no offense, terrible. The problem is that I don't know how far I can go with the resolution.

Is there a limit for each model ?

Also if the model were to be put in the game do I need to add the bones of an existing model and if so then which one should be used for the Reaper ? Is it possible to base an Eldar unit's bones on a sceleton of a SM for example ?

If you need to see the model I could post the latest version in the attachment as a .max file. I hope that's ok.
TomastheTankEngine
Developer

Re: Model Resolution

Postby TomastheTankEngine » Tue 28 May, 2013 3:04 pm

Personally I not sure about the poly-count for each model should be. The only think I can suggest is trying to look at other models from the game and try get an average count.

As to skeleton I don't think there a problem basing the skeleton on an existing skeleton. I haven't had much chance to look at the animation aspect of the RBFs but I suspect it shouldn't be a problem. As long the animation tracks are label clearly and can be easily reference it shouldn't be a problem.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Tue 28 May, 2013 4:42 pm

For reference, check the original Eldar models from Relic and for upper limit maybe some stuff from Shuma (IIRC the Raptor model is pretty high-poly). You can use Cope's DoW2 Toolbox to extract files (or just open extracted models found under the "ELITE" folder) and Santos Tools 2 for opening (Model Editor for simple viewing, or use his scripts for importing the models into 3ds Max).

Personally I don't understand so much about the 3D side but I think the models use a basic biped skeleton. The current DR use Warp Spider animations as they seem to suit the weapon better than Guardian animation (or the custom DR animations, which were pretty bad).
David-CZ
Contributor

Postby David-CZ » Tue 28 May, 2013 5:23 pm

Thx for the tip with the Raptors. It helped a lot.

I'll check out the bones once I'm done with the model and see if it's possible to base a DR on a devastator. Personally I think their animation would fit DR better.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Wed 29 May, 2013 3:54 am

assuming i'm understanding your question correctly: you need to rig the model to the same skeleton that you're going to be using animations from but you can choose any skeleton you want. i'm not sure if the game uses a generic skeleton or not but that's pretty easy to find out.

also, a max file isn't any good unless we use the same version of max as you. iirc FBX is good for sharing things with animations and textures. obj is static.
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Wed 29 May, 2013 11:01 pm

Base the Dark Reapers on Warp Spider skeletons. Devastators are way too big. Spiders fit the bill best afaik.
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Thu 30 May, 2013 12:53 am

Warp Spiders never suited Dark Reapers IMO. They are meant to be carrying heavy weapons not prancing around.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Thu 30 May, 2013 3:19 am

you can change the size of the skeleton or simply have the skeleton be bigger than the model. we don't have to manipulate the bones in game and attachment points are separate.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Thu 30 May, 2013 5:43 am

Indrid wrote:Warp Spiders never suited Dark Reapers IMO. They are meant to be carrying heavy weapons not prancing around.

Lul Spider weapons are huge as well though.

Return to “Modding”