[UI] Client-side mod for Elite-like UI unit order in vDoW2R?

Modding discussion.
Agemmon
Level 1

[UI] Client-side mod for Elite-like UI unit order in vDoW2R?

Postby Agemmon » Fri 27 Dec, 2019 8:03 pm

Hey folks!

I was wondering if it was possible to create a client-side mod (online compatible) for vDoW2 Retribution that forces the UI for the units in DoW2 to reorder itself based on the control groups that a player has set. In the Elite mod, units within the unit UI are reordered when a player is setting their control groups. Units with a lower control group number will be reordered to appear on top / higher than units that have a higher control group number, rather than having a stagnant position in the unit UI based on the order that units were created.

Is it possible to create a client-side mod for vDoW2 that achieves this function? I find myself able to better keep track of my units in the Elite mod because of this feature and believe that it could be a useful addition in vDoW2 whenever I feel like playing with the unmodded community.
Atlas

Re: [UI] Client-side mod for Elite-like UI unit order in vDoW2R?

Postby Atlas » Tue 07 Jan, 2020 7:13 pm

I honestly have no idea how the UI swapping was implemented but if/when I do, I think it would be a good idea to document it down for the non-Elite folk for sure.
Agemmon
Level 1

Postby Agemmon » Fri 24 Jan, 2020 9:51 pm

I believe I found the trigger, or at least something that points to the actual trigger:

https://imgur.com/a/QwYQp6n

As we can see from the image I uploaded, I found this in the 'DATA\simulation\scar\Elite\config.lua' path. Looks like we just need this segment of the code:

Elite.config = {
-- sort UI squad tabs in the top-right according to their ctrl groups
squad_tab_sorting = true,
squad_tab_sorting_interval = 1.5,

I'm not sure if this is the actual trigger or a reference to whatever 'squad_tab_sorting' is, but it's a start. I'm also not even sure whether or not 'squad_tab_sorting' is an innate function within the game or if it's a custom Elite-only function. Does anyone know if we can do something with this and turn it into a client-side mod that works online in vDoW2R? I have zero experience with SCAR and online compatibility and would appreciate some help.
Agemmon
Level 1

Postby Agemmon » Wed 10 Mar, 2021 9:52 pm

*bump*

Anyone want to try and figure this out? I think this would be a great addition for the vanilla game and all other mods if we can get this working as a standalone SGA.

Return to “Modding”