Illustrator would like to contribute :)

Modding discussion.
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Re: Illustrator would like to contribute :)

Postby DandyFrontline » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 8:45 pm

Sweet
Fallowfield
Level 1

Postby Fallowfield » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 9:25 pm

Holy shit dude your talent is incredible.

Haha amazing!
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 10:01 pm

We all know the quality of the artwork is very high, that's not in question.

If I were to offer one point of criticism though; it's to remember these are made to be in-game assets and part of a GUI. Namely, your portraits tend to be quite dark relatively speaking and detail is lost when viewed in a roster. A lot of people criticise the apparent lack of detail and slightly "cartoony" style of some of the stock portraits (especially IG), but it's done to make them easy to distinguish at a glance. Not everyone has good eyesight, and game artists/GUI devs have to think of accessibility in that regard. I probably notice this more than most since I spend so much time looking at the obs rosters of 3v3s.

I'm not sure what you can do with this information, as I love the detailed original artwork being put into the game - they are high enough quality to be wall posters. Just perhaps something to consider.

Looking forward to seeing some glorious Chosen PMs.
Kilgarn
Contributor

Postby Kilgarn » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 10:13 pm

Indrid wrote:We all know the quality of the artwork is very high, that's not in question.

If I were to offer one point of criticism though; it's to remember these are made to be in-game assets and part of a GUI. Namely, your portraits tend to be quite dark relatively speaking and detail is lost when viewed in a roster. A lot of people criticise the apparent lack of detail and slightly "cartoony" style of some of the stock portraits (especially IG), but it's done to make them easy to distinguish at a glance. Not everyone has good eyesight, and game artists/GUI devs have to think of accessibility in that regard. I probably notice this more than most since I spend so much time looking at the obs rosters of 3v3s.

I'm not sure what you can do with this information, as I love the detailed original artwork being put into the game - they are high enough quality to be wall posters. Just perhaps something to consider.

Looking forward to seeing some glorious Chosen PMs.

Yea, I was trying to consider this option, most of the GK roster is quite easy to distinguis, only the light-armored ones seem to blend in more into one tone :/ I'll try to look into it however, since the point would be to have a solid portrait thats also easy to decide what the heck is on the pic itself, so solid point :) I think I'll play with the values and re-upload the darker ones later :)

I just want to do the rest first, so its more coherent ^^
Eternal Crusade Referral code:
EC-LND6VY86AORV0
Tengu
Level 1

Postby Tengu » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 9:55 am

Kilgarn wrote:*LOTS OF DRAWN AWESOMNESS*

That just pure gold! Especially Catachans - strongly reminded me Colonel Straken "Iron Hand". GK OP(ba dum tss) looks awesome too.
Maybe you will draw portraits for Dark Reapers, Dire Avengers, Fire Dragons, Howling Banshees and (probably) Rangers/Seer Council? Would be really nice to see it from you.
My Eternal Crusade code - EC-HMZ40PVE9FLX3
Dalakh
Level 2

Postby Dalakh » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 2:29 pm

Incredible art as always. In fact not quite as always since I feel you are getting even better (I don't know how that's quite possible :P ).

Next up, IG Stormtrooper and Ogryns =) After that, Chosen Plague Marines and... dunno :D

And... ascension to immortal deamonhood, next logical step.

By the way I remember you mentioning a banshee commission on the Eternal Crusade forum, how is that going ? :D

PS : Ho and any news from GW ?
Kilgarn
Contributor

Postby Kilgarn » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 2:48 pm

Dalakh wrote:Incredible art as always. In fact not quite as always since I feel you are getting even better (I don't know how that's quite possible :P ).

Next up, IG Stormtrooper and Ogryns =) After that, Chosen Plague Marines and... dunno :D

And... ascension to immortal deamonhood, next logical step.

By the way I remember you mentioning a banshee commission on the Eternal Crusade forum, how is that going ? :D

PS : Ho and any news from GW ?

xD that would be interesting to say the least :D
Yea I have one, however poor guy have waited quite some time (about half a year by now...) since I was totally wrapped up with everyday sillyiness, couldn't draw anything for a longer period. Hopefully he still wants to do it ^^ If so, then you will see some eldar battle scene :)

And no word from GW. I got an apology letter about 2 weeks ago, that they haven't able to give an answer since the art manager is on paternal leave and they wanted him to check it. And I submitted my work about... 1 and a half month ago? :'D hopefully I'll get some replies soon, this starts to get annoying...
EC-LND6VY86AORV0
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 4:09 pm

Like the quality of the drawing and that you keep it in the same style as the other pictures but that facial expression (if I may word it this way)... It is like a parrot who saw something really interesting. A surprised parrot. Cannot perceive this guy serious, he is a little bit ridiculous.
Kilgarn
Contributor

Postby Kilgarn » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 5:06 pm

Sub_Zero wrote:Like the quality of the drawing and that you keep it in the same style as the other pictures but that facial expression (if I may word it this way)... It is like a parrot who saw something really interesting. A surprised parrot. Cannot perceive this guy serious, he is a little bit ridiculous.

Which one? o_O
The Operative or the Catachan...? *confused*
EC-LND6VY86AORV0
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 5:18 pm

I had already rated your catachans. The previous post is about the latest picture - the operative.
Kilgarn
Contributor

Postby Kilgarn » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 5:28 pm

Sub_Zero wrote:I had already rated your catachans. The previous post is about the latest picture - the operative.

Well, problem is the base model dont really leave too much room for interpretation tbh :')
I already steched the basic look to a limit I think ^^; Not sure what else I could do with it, to be honest.
EC-LND6VY86AORV0
Garrick
Level 2

Postby Garrick » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 7:52 pm

HOLY FUCK AT THE OPERATIVE. I mean, it's awesome, and my model couldn't get a better interpretation.

Also, for the inspiration, i mostly started with this image,
especially when it came to the model's uniform. I then added various inspirations, chiefly from the new tempestus scions, which I mostly dislike, but i find excellent if placed in a daemonhunters army's general design.
Dalakh
Level 2

Postby Dalakh » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 8:42 pm

Sub_Zero wrote:Like the quality of the drawing and that you keep it in the same style as the other pictures but that facial expression (if I may word it this way)... It is like a parrot who saw something really interesting. A surprised parrot. Cannot perceive this guy serious, he is a little bit ridiculous.

Helmets have expressions now ? That's a new one. :lol:
Pega
Level 2

Postby Pega » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 9:47 pm

The operative portrait is flipping awesome.
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 12:09 am

I wish you ll make portrait for Chosen plague marines because it's the only unit at the moment (not including op's but you already did portrait for them) who use portrait of the other unit.
Kilgarn
Contributor

Postby Kilgarn » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 12:12 am

DandyFrontline wrote:I wish you ll make portrait for Chosen plague marines because it's the only unit at the moment (not including op's but you already did portrait for them) who use portrait of the other unit.

Working on that one :) Also, Terminator commander also uses the default Termi portrait X) its especially annoying to find which is it, if you happen to have termies :'D
EC-LND6VY86AORV0
Helios
Level 3

Postby Helios » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 7:09 am

In regards to what Indrid said, I think maybe even just flipping the portrait horizontally might distinguish it quite a bit from the IST and the Assassin. All the GK portraits already seem very distinct.
Kilgarn
Contributor

Postby Kilgarn » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 8:48 am

Helios wrote:In regards to what Indrid said, I think maybe even just flipping the portrait horizontally might distinguish it quite a bit from the IST and the Assassin. All the GK portraits already seem very distinct.

The assassin looks to the right though :) But at least it will look different from the stormtrooper if nothing else, good poing ^^
EC-LND6VY86AORV0
Helios
Level 3

Postby Helios » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 1:25 pm

Here's what all 3 look like together in a scaled down size similar to what you might see on the observer bar in a match. Even though the Assassin also looks to the right, even with a super quick glance you can tell which is which thanks to the little antennae he has with the light on it. Although Indrid does seem to have a point with the darkness somewhat obscuring the operatives. It's more noticeable on it than either of the other two.

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Kilgarn
Contributor

Postby Kilgarn » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 2:37 pm

Helios wrote:Here's what all 3 look like together in a scaled down size similar to what you might see on the observer bar in a match. Even though the Assassin also looks to the right, even with a super quick glance you can tell which is which thanks to the little antennae he has with the light on it. Although Indrid does seem to have a point with the darkness somewhat obscuring the operatives. It's more noticeable on it than either of the other two.
comparison.jpg

Hm, ok I flip it and brighten up the darker part so its more easier to see :)
Thanks ^^
EC-LND6VY86AORV0
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 2:43 pm

if I may word it this way - so you don't let me do that? Come on, helmets can express emotions, usually they are menacing to terrify enemies but in this case it looked funny to me and resembled one creature.
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 2:48 pm

Sub_Zero wrote:

if I may word it this way - so you don't let me do that? Come on, helmets can express emotions, usually they are menacing to terrify enemies but in this case it looked funny to me and resembled one creature.

I think you just got too much imagination. I cant see anything funny in operatives helmet.
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 2:58 pm

That is like an innocent child looks at someone superior who berates him for something he hasn't done. "But that wasn't me!"

Whatever image comes to mind but not the image of a fearsome warrior whose very look is sufficient to understand that he is the wrong person to mess with.

I am not going to quote everyone of you and say that you have no imagination (as opposed to my "very strong imagination"). Just leave my perception be and move along.
Kilgarn
Contributor

Postby Kilgarn » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 6:56 pm

Sub_Zero wrote:That is like an innocent child looks at someone superior who berates him for something he hasn't done. "But that wasn't me!"

Whatever image comes to mind but not the image of a fearsome warrior whose very look is sufficient to understand that he is the wrong person to mess with.

I am not going to quote everyone of you and say that you have no imagination (as opposed to my "very strong imagination"). Just leave my perception be and move along.

To be fair, the original model's headgear is not on the scary side as well :D I could've made it scarier, but skull respirators and whatnot were not the part of the model X) Altho on second thought it might look nice xD who knows? :D
EC-LND6VY86AORV0
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 7:13 pm

He looks fearsome in his impassiveness and it works, I always imagined Storm Troopers as being the footsloggers whilst Operatives are the like the special forces, deployed in small units to strike a decisive blow without hesitation.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 12:20 am

Quality work as always Kilgarn. That operative looks mean.
New models for Elite and Retribution...
http://www.dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=397
Kilgarn
Contributor

Postby Kilgarn » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 10:55 pm

Caeltos, how long I have 'til the next patch drops?
I'll try to include some more portraits and made the fixes as suggested on the Operative and the darker ones as well =)

Let me know! :D
EC-LND6VY86AORV0
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 11:46 pm

Hopefully sometime this month, probably towards the end of the month. So ~1&half to 2 weeks.
Fr33man1800
Level 2

Postby Fr33man1800 » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 10:13 am

Kilgarn wrote:Caeltos, how long I have 'til the next patch drops?
I'll try to include some more portraits and made the fixes as suggested on the Operative and the darker ones as well =)

Let me know! :D

Wow amazing :D , ur spoiling us :P
Kilgarn
Contributor

Postby Kilgarn » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 4:32 pm

Naaah ^^

I just really love this mod + you guys :D And the community is great :) so its worth it ^^
Besides, I always shiver when I see some of the older portraits (like poor IG stormtroopers/ogryns :'D) so its a win-win situation :P
EC-LND6VY86AORV0

Return to “Modding”