Disabeling level scaling, setting enemy level

Modding discussion.
Gummiballen
Level 0

Disabeling level scaling, setting enemy level

Postby Gummiballen » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 5:01 pm

I had an idea of replaying the campaing while being super OP and I thought I could do that by editing some of the gamefiles.
Specifically campaign.scar and scarUtil.scar, inside gamedefaults.sga, looked promising, but all my changes did was make the campaing map go more and more black whit every edit.

Tried setting the variable, that I think calculated player level and based NPC level on that, to a set number. But that didn't do anything or it was the wrong one.

Does anyone here have an idea?
Atlas

Re: Disabeling level scaling, setting enemy level

Postby Atlas » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 6:08 pm

Campaign modding is something I've never touched, but I imagine you could go into the ebps for the campaign entities you want to adjust leveling on and do it from there. Did you try that?
Gummiballen
Level 0

Postby Gummiballen » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 1:01 pm

Atlas wrote:Campaign modding is something I've never touched, but I imagine you could go into the ebps for the campaign entities you want to adjust leveling on and do it from there. Did you try that?

Thanks for the reply.

Couldn't find anything promising in ebps, but there is a max_level for the enteties is sbps. So potentally I could set that to something low, but I'd have to do that for every single enemy in the game.

Since the leveling is semi-dynamic there SHOULD be a (relativly) easy way of fucking with it.
The problem is finding it...

Edit: I think I need to find the origin of getNPCLevel.
The function Util_CreateSquads in scatUtil.scar uses it to set squad levels. I think.
Futher complicasions, there are files in the archive (called 200,210,220,230 and 240_data.sga) that are duplicates of gamedefaults.sga, maybe have to edit all of them.
Gummiballen
Level 0

Postby Gummiballen » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 4:47 pm

Ok, I've managed to crate a mod, so the changes I make to the files don't brake the game at least.

But nothing I change has any apparent effect and I've changed alot! Maybe it's not possible...
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 5:46 pm

Gummiballen wrote:Ok, I've managed to crate a mod, so the changes I make to the files don't brake the game at least.

But nothing I change has any apparent effect and I've changed alot! Maybe it's not possible...

If you're modifying the files the same way Elite does then you need to make sure you replace the attrib files. After that, I would check to see if your module file correctly point to your new file for startup.
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 4:56 am

Gummiballen wrote:Ok, I've managed to crate a mod, so the changes I make to the files don't brake the game at least.

Would be better for you to add Atlas directly on steam and on the discord so that he can do a live feedback for you.

Steam - https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198078148937/

Discord - Atlas#9851
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Noot
Level 0

Postby Noot » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 12:19 am

The leveling isn't actually super dynamic unfortunately, and Util_CreateSquads is one of the preset functions that i'm not sure can be entirely edited in the game.

- Some squads have their levels manually set if they were created from a certain type of map marker
- Some have their level set in each campaign mission's file to be equal to that of the heroes. Don't think this applies to most though.
- All 'chaff' squads from map markers have a minimum and maximum variable level that can be seen for each mission's relevant encounterData file. Changing those would be just as arduous (if not more) than changing the EBPs manually though.

So i'm not sure there's much luck to be had i'm afraid. Your best bet is deleting all but the first level in each individual EBP for the campaign enemies. (i'm not sure if the campaign actively overrides the maxLevel in the sbps so i would personally test that first if you are unsure.)
Gummiballen
Level 0

Postby Gummiballen » Wed 15 May, 2019 9:38 pm

The obsessive autist that I am, I actually went through the ebps and the min & maxLevel in procedual_data...

It did nothing.

Thats it. I officially give up.
I have a headhace, imma go to bed.

Thanks for the help. :)
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Sat 25 May, 2019 2:37 pm

well sadly leveling in Retribution has no real wait to it since it all is that tick base thing in the campaign screen.

Any modding for the campaign needs to be for Dow2 Vanilla/Chaos Rising that works. and changing levels works there because i made a small mod for myself to enable health regen in combat but disable that ridiculous health regen outside of combat among other things to make it feel more like a PvP game mod. Really fun and challenging.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54

Return to “Modding”