Changing portrait and text in the hero selection. "Graying out" buttons in main menu?

Modding discussion.
Joppy
Level 0

Changing portrait and text in the hero selection. "Graying out" buttons in main menu?

Postby Joppy » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 7:47 pm

I have been looking through countless of files but I just can not find where you change the portrait or "name" of the heroes, in the Last Stand mode, on the selection screen. I would also like to disable some of the main menu buttons so that one does not forget to turn the mod off before playing the campaign, so that you lose out on achievements, or when trying to play multiplayer, so that you wasted when trying to joining a game when it is not possible.
Black Relic
Level 4

Re: Changing portrait and text in the hero selection. "Graying out" buttons in main menu?

Postby Black Relic » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 4:57 am

Dow 2 uses UCS files. You cab just chabge a UCS value under squad info that has their name basic description etc.

You are in a -dev mode for the most part. If they want to use the campaign then they just need to remove the launch options.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Joppy
Level 0

Re: Changing portrait and text in the hero selection. "Graying out" buttons in main menu?

Postby Joppy » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 8:29 am

Black Relic wrote:Dow 2 uses UCS files. You cab just chabge a UCS value under squad info that has their name basic description etc.

You are in a -dev mode for the most part. If they want to use the campaign then they just need to remove the launch options.

I know, but you can't modify the default .ucs file, you have to make new strings and insert the new string number where the old one is, so I need to in which of the files this value is stored, which have been hard since it is none of the more obvious places and none of less obvious either. (At least fairly certain you can not change the default .ucs, and even if you could wouldn't that mean it that the changes persist even in vanilla, which is not something I want?)

Players can easily change the launch string, but I want them to not forget to do it. However I have a launcher so it should be a minimal issue since it doesn't store the launch options in steam, options unless they are scared of .exes from strangers, so the risk should be minimal, so it doesn't mater so much. However I just realize they can make a shortcut and then insert the launch parameter in there, since that is basically all my launcher do ATM anyway. I have to run it packed every-time since it is online, however a fellow moder of mine knew how to enable online play even in dev-mode, so hopefully he remember how he did it since it would be nice to be able to use it. Thanks for the reply none the less.
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 8:56 am

You should be able to make your own separate UCS file though. And then put in your own strings. I mean I have over 1000 stings in my mod. And most are for new units and I have also changed the name of older units.

Or are you not using Cope's? Because that App allows you to do that. If you want to change Elite's ucs for your own personal use (which it wont break compatibility if you do that) download notepad++. Allows you to open UCS files. But you will have to ask Myrdal how he changes it back to something dow2 can read. since he mentioned something to me that there are different types or "generations" of UCS and dow2 uses an old version.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Joppy
Level 0

Postby Joppy » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 9:03 am

I know, I have around 500 strings myself, it is that I'm looking for the location of one specific field where I can insert my new string, which I just can not find, to change "Mekboy" to "Kommando Nob" in the selection screen for The Last Stand.
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 7:18 pm

Ahhh that makes it super clear.

That info is found in the tuning_info.rbf

There is a last stand tab that has all the information for the heroes such as leveling and ui_info which holds the naming of this and that.
Joppy
Level 0

Postby Joppy » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 10:51 pm

That's it! Thanks a ton, really appreciate it.

Edit 1: A last question, using e.g. a portrait such as the ork_kommando_hero in the "loading_screen_icon_texture" only make it display the error image, do I need to copy this image into some folder to make it work?

Edit 2: NVM, I found the correct names for these icons, which was simply ork_kommando. For future reference, the portraits/icons can be found in "ui\textures\generic\fe\game_load" and "ui\textures\generic\fe\game_setup\heroes\"

Return to “Modding”