Army Painter CTD

Modding discussion.
MoraleBroken
Level 1

Army Painter CTD

Postby MoraleBroken » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 10:59 am

Hello again!

I''m currently running into a rather irritating issue in that, the army painter seems to cause me to crash to desktop when I select certain races, I think this is due to the Necron Overlord DLC but I've got no idea where the resources I may need to update are located, not exactly familiar with Relic's infrastructure.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on this, seeing as Elite does not seem to have this issue in the army painter.

Cheers in advance,

MB.
Atlas

Re: Army Painter CTD

Postby Atlas » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 8:29 pm

That's really strange, are you trying to run any mods outside of Elite at the same time? The Necron DLC by itself shouldn't be an issue. If you have it, it should just select him. If not, I don't think the Necrons option is even there.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 12:20 am

I remember this being a problem before and it was because of a mod. Don't remember anything about which file it is though.
MoraleBroken
Level 1

Postby MoraleBroken » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 1:13 am

Just to clarify, this isn't an issue with Elite Mod, I'm currently working on my own mod independent of Elite but I've noticed Elite has solved the issue of the army painter crashing after the Necron Overlrd DLC was released.
Myrdal
Admin

Postby Myrdal » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 1:42 pm

You might have an older gameattrib_org.sga without necron entries. Replace it with ours and make sure your module file is alright
MoraleBroken
Level 1

Postby MoraleBroken » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 5:02 pm

Myrdal wrote:You might have an older gameattrib_org.sga without necron entries. Replace it with ours and make sure your module file is alright

Thanks for that.
I've mostly fixed the army painter. I'm now having an issue trying to remove these two unknown entries, as clicking either of them will cause a CTD.

Any ideas?
Myrdal
Admin

Postby Myrdal » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 5:41 pm

Those are necrons and tau and are probably missing from your attrib tree (see attrib/racebps). Either you removed them or your sga attrib base is pre necron/tau dlc but you still load necron/tau data sgas in your .module. Solution: either add a more recent gameattrib.sga or don't load necron/tau data sga (005_x.sga iirc, check module file).
MoraleBroken
Level 1

Postby MoraleBroken » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 5:59 pm

Myrdal wrote:Those are necrons and tau and are probably missing from your attrib tree (see attrib/racebps). Either you removed them or your sga attrib base is pre necron/tau dlc but you still load necron/tau data sgas in your .module. Solution: either add a more recent gameattrib.sga or don't load necron/tau data sga (005_x.sga iirc, check module file).

So, I've gone ahead and removed the 005_x.sga entries from the module archives load order, but these bugged entries are still appearing on the army painter and still cause a crash. The odd thing is I have both the Necron and Tau entires in racebps, but it does not appear to acknowledge them in the army painter.
Myrdal
Admin

Postby Myrdal » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 6:13 pm

If the files were present and all data sga were loaded then I'm not sure why it would ctd. I would check warnings.txt if it reveals anything. If not perhaps removing necron/tau from tuning_info/ui/army_painter_unit_list is good enough for you.
MoraleBroken
Level 1

Postby MoraleBroken » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 6:20 pm

Myrdal wrote:If the files were present and all data sga were loaded then I'm not sure why it would ctd. I would check warnings.txt if it reveals anything. If not perhaps removing necron/tau from tuning_info/ui/army_painter_unit_list is good enough for you.

Warnings.txt doesn't seem to give me any error cause, in this pastebin. https://pastebin.com/raw/p40GWh8B

I also don't have the Necron or Tau entries in the army painter unit list within the tuning file, so I'm not sure where these entries on the army painter are even coming from. I've also tried adding them to the unit list by copying another army and renaming its racebps to the necron/tau respectively to no avail.
Myrdal
Admin

Postby Myrdal » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 6:49 pm

I also don't have the Necron or Tau entries in the army painter unit list within the tuning file

There's your problem then, remove your modified tuning_info (also restore 005*).

so I'm not sure where these entries on the army painter are even coming from.

It appears hardcoded.
MoraleBroken
Level 1

Postby MoraleBroken » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 6:54 pm

Myrdal wrote:There's your problem then, remove your modified tuning_info (also restore 005*).

I deleted the tuning file and have a copy to hand just incase but I noticed that the army painter section is replaced by this?

Not sure if this is right? a lot of the tabs now seem to be wholly incorrect for what they are meant to be covering.
Myrdal
Admin

Postby Myrdal » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 7:45 pm

Are you using elite's gameattrib_orig.sga or other? I think it's easier if you explained what you did with this mod, eg did you start it recently (after necron dlc) and what if any mod did you base it on?
The reason is relic's last patch was severely mishandled (yet again) and set up a huge trap for modders which you are now experiencing. My advice is to base your mod on our gameattrib_orig and don't touch/import anything from relic's newer attrib files
MoraleBroken
Level 1

Postby MoraleBroken » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 7:48 pm

Myrdal wrote:Are you using elite's gameattrib_orig.sga or other? I think it's easier if you explained what you did with this mod, eg did you start it recently (after necron dlc) and what if any mod did you base it on?
The reason is relic's last patch was severely mishandled (yet again) and set up a huge trap for modders which you are now experiencing.

I'm modding an existing mod, Codex Edition, and have been fixing it up to work with the current systems. I've got pretty much everything working except this army painter issue, I haven't tweaked the tuning file at all beyond what it was left at.
Myrdal
Admin

Postby Myrdal » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 8:06 pm

If you are using codex edition which I assume is an older mod/not updated recently then you must have added the necron data yourself. If you did a straight copy from relic's sga then they will never work with your mod (assuming based on old CE). If instead you copied from our mod then it will be fine but you must ensure tuning_info and whatever other required files, are also updated.

Since you didn't go into detail how you "fixed it up" it's hard for me to help you. I can only say be cautious when importing files, when they look like in the picture above there's a problem. (thanks relic)
MoraleBroken
Level 1

Postby MoraleBroken » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 8:24 pm

Myrdal wrote:If you are using codex edition which I assume is an older mod/not updated recently then you must have added the necron data yourself. If you did a straight copy from relic's sga then they will never work with your mod (assuming based on old CE). If instead you copied from our mod then it will be fine but you must ensure tuning_info and whatever other required files, are also updated.

Since you didn't go into detail how you "fixed it up" it's hard for me to help you. I can only say be cautious when importing files, when they look like in the picture above there's a problem. (thanks relic)

I managed to find a work around, I think there were some missing files but copying the necron files from vanilla into the codex edition folder seems to have fixed the issue.

Cheers for the help btw, it's much appreciated.
Myrdal
Admin

Postby Myrdal » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 8:42 pm

Good. Now can you list the files you copied here for others running into similar issues? Thanks
MoraleBroken
Level 1

Postby MoraleBroken » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 8:46 pm

necron.rbf & tau.rbf from inside racebps, I just exported them from a non-exported state which seemed to solve the issue.

Return to “Modding”