[SOLVED] How to modify Art FX?

Modding discussion.
Private Hix
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to modify Art FX?

Postby Private Hix » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 11:08 pm

Hello,

In a past game I modded I was able to create "custom"-looking effects by bringing the FX files into GIMP/Photoshop and adjusting their levels, changing their colors and whatnot. I'd like to do the same thing in for DoW II, however I am not sure how to open the files. The files from the other game I modded were already in an editable format, ".tga", but I am not sure what to do with the ".bfx" files in the DoW II archives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Hix
Last edited by Private Hix on Mon 06 Mar, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Garrick
Level 2

Re: How to modify Art FX?

Postby Garrick » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 1:23 am

You need to extract the .bfx files in data/art/fx with Cope's toolbox, then edit said files with this tool: http://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war-2/downloads/fxeditorbeta. It's not particularly intuitive, but it's the only thing around.

Hope it helps!
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 8:05 am

Garrick wrote:You need to extract the .bfx files in data/art/fx with Cope's toolbox, then edit said files with this tool: http://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war-2/downloads/fxeditorbeta. It's not particularly intuitive, but it's the only thing around.

Hope it helps!

Thanks a lot! I think I've gotten a bit of a handle on the tool, but I think I'm missing something... On all of the FX I have loaded and tried to modify there does not seem to be any type of RGBa color modifier box/option. There are many FX with "Colour" boxes but the only choices these boxes give me are "Mode 0", "Mode 1", or "Mode 2".

Am I just overlooking something here? Or do I have to use this tool to find the specific textures that each FX is using? (I dont feel like it is the latter, since it seems like everything is modifiable in the Tool and the textures that are designated seem to be for specific things, I could be wrong though)
Garrick
Level 2

Postby Garrick » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 7:36 pm

I am not as skilled with this tool as you might think. Try asking Wise Windu around these forums, he is the resident FX guy at DOWELITE
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 7:46 pm

No problem, thanks for the help!
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 2:33 am

There's a Track Editor tab at the bottom of the program next to Resources. That will show RGB colour timelines to edit. Keep in mind that it edits based on the color of the texture. Some FX use white textures and then entirely depends on the Track Editor, while others have coloured textures that will mix with the RGB colour lines.
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 5:48 am

AH thanks WISE Windu hehe :)

Time to start making the FX for my factions!
Garrick
Level 2

Postby Garrick » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 1:28 pm

Word of warning: making new factions as in "getting new entries in the menu" is impossible due to hardcoding. Either create new characters (use my custom 8-heroes menu, you can find it in Releases) or use Bloodravage upgrade-based selection.
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 8:33 pm

Garrick wrote:Word of warning: making new factions as in "getting new entries in the menu" is impossible due to hardcoding. Either create new characters (use my custom 8-heroes menu, you can find it in Releases) or use Bloodravage upgrade-based selection.

Yep! I'm thinking I'll go in the direction of your menu, not 100% sure yet. However, I am pretty far off of implementation side for my factions. (Im 20% done with concept art, 6% done with modelling, and 4% done with rigging and animation)

Return to “Modding”