3D Modeller would like to contribute

Modding discussion.
Danik
Level 1

3D Modeller would like to contribute

Postby Danik » Mon 02 May, 2016 9:37 am

I'm still learning but i think i already can contribute making stuff (i read that you have a tau planet without tau buildings, for example), it doesn't have to be units.

Let's kept it simple, you request something, anything you need, and i model it as soon I can ;)

Hope I can help.

PD: I wrote the title identical to the ilustrator one, how awkward
Danik
Level 1

Re: 3D Modeller would like to participate

Postby Danik » Wed 04 May, 2016 12:09 am

Something I made today just for the sake of it, 10% completed i suposse.

Not insinuating anything nor the race i want ;) ;) ;)

I'm bad with texture though :(
Swift

Re: 3D Modeller would like to contribute

Postby Swift » Wed 04 May, 2016 3:27 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

That's a sexy start.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Danik
Level 1

Postby Danik » Wed 04 May, 2016 8:23 pm

At last some reply, hurry I will concede you one wish (3d related of course) for being the first one. Also has this been already made? read that caeltos have some plans

Thank for the compliment :D And how many polygons has a space marine? This xv25 has around 5000-6000 but can and will be optimized a lot.
Last edited by Danik on Wed 04 May, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Wed 04 May, 2016 8:28 pm

Nemesis Dreadknight was something planned previously but never completed. Seems like a complex model though.
Danik
Level 1

Postby Danik » Wed 04 May, 2016 9:33 pm

Seems fun, is there anything already done I can work with? Also some pictures with what exactly do you want, there are a lot of versions.
If it is the uncovered version, a 3d model of a grey knight would help a lot. I still don't know how to manipulate files from the game so i would need some 3dsmax file. And the polycount of superunits.

Love your videos btw. You got me into this mod

Starting this right know. Have to know how are you gonna animate this. Are you gonna use the skeleton of the avatar or the wraithlord or what

PD: it seems the model is already being done :x https://dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1573&p=38882&hilit=Dreadknight#p38882
Let's wait to see what happen and tell me another thing to model, quickly!
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Thu 05 May, 2016 2:21 am

We haven't heard back on the status of it in quite a while. It's safe to assume it's been scrapped or put on hold indefinately. The creator was having some personal issues to tackle with, and I hope he came out okay.
Danik
Level 1

Postby Danik » Thu 05 May, 2016 4:15 am

So you want me to do it.
and give me some kind of to do list, so i can change between projects to not get bored :D :D :D

PD: really need to know those answers
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Thu 05 May, 2016 2:45 pm

Well, considering we haven't heard back from him. You can pick up the project on working on the Dreadknight if you want to. The issue is with the animations, which we can't do anything about. There's a severe lack of talents who can animate all models that people want to contribute with.

There's a way to bypass some of the animations by using existing animations for new units. (We've done this in the past), but it's something I'd wish we would try to stray away from more, and create more unique units with their own voices, animations and sweet models. However, there can be exceptions made where some animations might be fitting for some units.

Dreadknight model for an ex. merely visually could work with a Wraithlord animation - but if it's doable or not is uncertain.

Either way, I don't have a to-do list. Because I don't have anything lined up, due to the fact we don't have someone who can animate, which means a full-roster of units might not make it in, and we'll have Grey Knights all over again. I'd rather stick with a plan and go with it, rather than try to reiterate and then make something work, and then backtrack to the original idea all over again. It's too stressful and so much work involved (which also deviates from the intended goal)

I don't want to compile a list of units, and have someone work on it for days, only not to see the models actually make it in ever. I think it's a waste of time for everybody, unless it's just meant to kill time. If a model is worked on, I want to be sure the project can finally be seen in action by everyone and appriciated - but this requires modellers and animations to be both required. It doesn't have to be just by one individual, but working together on something.

Which again, animators are quite rare around here. Unless someone knows someone who wants to help.
Danik
Level 1

Postby Danik » Thu 05 May, 2016 2:56 pm

I see. The model is going well, hope to finish it in a few days. I'm doing this to practice too so I'm not gonna feel I'm wasting my time if a model don't come out. Is just that I like changing projects so I don't get bored, so if you think in something, tell me. If not I'm gonna start non warhammer related models.

Do you know someone who could answer those questions?

PD: do you want me to model all the weapons?

PD2: Legs finished!! This was HARD. Really need that terminator model :cry:
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Thu 05 May, 2016 8:23 pm

How about a mortar to make the Artillery Spotters into a mortar unit like they were intended long ago? Still needs animation but that must be the simplest possible animation issue so I’m optimistic someone can manage it eventually…
Danik
Level 1

Postby Danik » Thu 05 May, 2016 8:47 pm

The mortar itself would be very easy to model. The problem as you say are animations. Why not use the animations of the heavy weapons squad?
Would need to know mod stuff to make it. How do you extract a 3dmodel of the game to 3dsmax?

Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Thu 05 May, 2016 9:24 pm

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?244744

As for animations, it only needs set-up & tear-down, but I don’t know if the heavy bolter animations are usable since the weapon orientation is different. Dunno, maybe it would work? The aiming animation needs to go, as it would be pretty ridiculous with the mortar…
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 05 May, 2016 9:54 pm

Looking good so far 8-)
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Danik
Level 1

Postby Danik » Fri 06 May, 2016 12:44 am

These fuckers are well armed
Dineil
Level 2

Postby Dineil » Fri 06 May, 2016 6:13 pm

Good work mate! Keep up the good work!
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Fri 06 May, 2016 8:38 pm

What skeleton are you using now? Wraithlord or Swarmlord?
Danik
Level 1

Postby Danik » Sat 07 May, 2016 10:04 am

3d model is almost finished. I'm not using any skeleton, and Im starting to doubt if a wraithlord one could fit. Too many joints and stuff. I haven´t yet learn rigging or animation. YET

Af Caeltos says it's better if the skeleton and animations are custom. Even If i finish this model in a few days don't expect to see it in the mod any time soon.

PD: who has done the texture in other models?

PD: sneak peek!
fankater
Level 2

Postby fankater » Sat 07 May, 2016 5:01 pm

That thing looks awesome :)
For the Emperor skurwysyny !
Danik
Level 1

Postby Danik » Sat 07 May, 2016 5:17 pm

And finished, you tell me Caeltos, is this enough? What is the next step? do your team have a texture artist?
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Mon 09 May, 2016 6:05 am

I think Bloodravage of the Destroyer 40K mod (where we got the Grey Knights originally) did the GK textures. But we have had other people do assorted texture things later, so someone should be capable. No permanent house artist, though.

On the side, here’s a LulTube glance at the animation process of an actual professional level project: The Lord Inquisitor - Insight into animations [HD].
Danik
Level 1

Postby Danik » Mon 09 May, 2016 10:17 am

I'm gonna optimize it and make the uv mapping and hand it to you then. I will be learning animation in the next months, if they aren't done then, I will try to make some custom animations for it.

And I'm having trouble with the Santos tools. To tell the truth, I don't know how all the modding part works. So unless you have a guide step by steps I would prefer to focus on the 3d part only. It would be of great help knowing the poly count of a predator or of the great unclean one, for example. Actually any superunits will do.

Return to “Modding”