That's grot's work! Bring in da grots!

Modding discussion.
Darkbulborb
Level 2

That's grot's work! Bring in da grots!

Postby Darkbulborb » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 10:15 pm

Hey guys,

Maybe an idea to add Gretchin to the orks. They can build Waaagh! banners and Ork turrets (since the ork turret isn't really that good anyway). Then the slugga boyz would not be able to build Waaagh banners any longer.

They'll come in squads of five, are a tier 1 unit and cost 75 requisition to build. They then can build a banner or a turret for free. (Maybe consume the squad if building one of these)

Also give them the ability to repair, since most of the time you don't want your sluggas spending time on repairing things and other units that can repair have a ranged attack, which isn't really that fair in my opinion.

50 HP per model and attack damage super low. Sort of like super weak scouts. What do you think of this? I think models could be easily implemented from space marine or Dawn of War 1.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Re: That's grot's work! Bring in da grots!

Postby Dark Riku » Wed 11 Feb, 2015 12:04 am

75 req for a squad? Get 2 -3 of these and the map control is yours.
BaptismByLoli
Level 4

Postby BaptismByLoli » Wed 11 Feb, 2015 12:19 am

Darkbulborb wrote:I think models could be easily implemented from space marine or Dawn of War 1.

Importing Models from other Companies = ©
© = Getting into trouble

Creating new models from scratch is tedious work.
Darkbulborb
Level 2

Postby Darkbulborb » Wed 11 Feb, 2015 12:29 am

Make them non capping units then, their purpose should be building banners/turrets or a simple repair unit
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 11 Feb, 2015 8:19 am

Darkbulborb wrote:Make them non capping units then, their purpose should be building banners/turrets or a simple repair unit

But even if you nerf the repair then they can still be spammed in twos or threes for mass bannering and repairing whilst your Sluggas cap/fight, I'm not sure there is enough of a problem in tier one for Orks to make this change acceptable.

Not only is importing models from other games illegal, but it's (I think I read this somewhere) npot possible to import from DoW I to DoW II.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
uncle_anaesthesia
Level 1

Postby uncle_anaesthesia » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 1:03 pm

"Not only is importing models from other games illegal, but it's (I think I read this somewhere) npot possible to import from DoW I to DoW II"

its a grey area which unofficially persons at relic said was ok, and its fairly straightforward to get dow1 stuff into dow 2.(provided you have the tools)
the only problems are the size of the models as in the space marine models in dow1 are smaller than the dow2 ones.
i looked at the deamonettes to port over and they were tiny.
you can see in one of santos posts i the relic news forums, he originally had the bloodthirster in game as proof.
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 4:28 pm

Isn't it purely graphically abit ... messed up tho with the presentation of DoW2 models when you start throwing in DoW1 models next to them. Altho, I guess some of the higher textured units and abit more well-done ones, could actually work. Provided that you can give them abit of a polished-up visuals.
Darkbulborb
Level 2

Postby Darkbulborb » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 4:43 pm

Well importing aside, what do you think of the idea. Because I think it's quite unfair to give sluggas a job of repairing while they excel in melee combat. I mean ranged repair units can still shoot when they repair and your sluggas just stand there doing nothing... It really is a grot's job :P

The turret of the orks is not really reliable as well, and the Waaagh Banner costs 75 requisition now too. I think that gretchin are suitable for this job (along with Mekboy)
BaptismByLoli
Level 4

Postby BaptismByLoli » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 1:12 am

I think gretchins are redundant and a waste of Pop, especially Late Game. Between horrible, fragile units and good, fragile units it's pretty obvious which unit would be more attractive. Furthermore, Sluggas, especially with their Nob Leaders are a force to be reckoned with. If it's not the Waagh! then it's Swamp'Em.

As for their support capabilities, the Orks complement each other well enough with their abilities rendering gretchins useless. Sluggas can repair and fight well enough as is.

Ork turrets may deal the least damage at long range but it still suppresses. And with Slugga/Shoota Boyz around you don't want to get mass suppressed by gretchins spamming turrets.
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 4:56 am

if they get a similar role to rippers for example, i could see some use in them. but, again; all that work with modeling and sounds assets for whats basically a ripper squad? not worth it.

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
Darkbulborb
Level 2

Postby Darkbulborb » Mon 23 Feb, 2015 1:08 am

To my believings the suppression was removed on the ork turret in this mod? Or was that reverted already?
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Mon 23 Feb, 2015 1:52 am

No suppression.

Return to “Modding”