How to play Tyranid (Presentation version)

Strategy and L2P topics.
Cry this Crysis
Level 1

How to play Tyranid (Presentation version)

Postby Cry this Crysis » Mon 17 Aug, 2020 1:51 pm

Torpid

Re: How to play Tyranid (Presentation version)

Postby Torpid » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 12:43 am

Not quite sure this is as objective of an approach as I would have taken =D
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
HUNTER
Level 1

Postby HUNTER » Wed 19 Aug, 2020 12:03 am

This guide has some wrong points in it imo, but if you are finding success in your approach keep it up.

For starters, I consider the Hormagaunt squad to be the backbone of the Nid army in T1 and early into T2, progressively falling off after that. I always find that if I loose my Hormagaunt squad in T1, the difficulty of a successful engagement dramatically increases. If you are finding the squad weak or squishy, you need to change your approach on how you close the gap with them.

For warriors, you can get away with not purchasing them if you are HT, but otherwise you always want them no matter the matchup for the synapse. I don't understand why you think buying them vs SM or OM is a must though. In my experience, SM and OM have pretty easy methods of dealing with warriors in T1, and come T2 SM usually get plasma regardless which shreads Warriors. Typically it's a unit I have avoided in the past when going up against SM (at least as the HT). There are definitely some benefits to the Thorax Swarm but I typically get Adrenal Glands if I've kept my warriors default in T1, making horms a threat in T2 and to keep them relevant in fights.

Genestealers are garbage. If you lost your horms in T1, you can purchase these in T2, but they will bleed your army a lot and in my experience don't accomplish much. I would probably upgrade my Ravs to mele in this case instead of buying genes.

Tyrant Guard is easily the best general purchase Nid unit in T2. Opposing armies do not want to purchase AV against Nids in T2. If used properly, the TG can become very annoying for an army with no AV given it's shield wall ability. It also has a giant health pool and is a good combat initiator.

I used to get Zoans a lot, but ever since their focused blast was nerfed, I find they are not very effective and can get shot down too fast. They also seem to miss their shots ~25% of the time against units standing still, which I do not understand. I would like to see their focus warp blast buffed so they can once again target infantry models. It was a good solution for disrupting a set up team. You only want them if you are camping which is not generally a strong point for Nids.

T3 is pretty straight forward with Nids. I agree the SL is under-rated. I used to think it was the worst T3 super-unit in the game but I don't think so anymore, mainly because of its blade flurry on retreating squads. I would likely say that title belongs to battlewagon followed closely by baneblade.

-AssMan
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Wed 19 Aug, 2020 8:03 am

HUNTER wrote:This guide has some wrong points in it imo, but if you are finding success in your approach keep it up.

For starters, I consider the Hormagaunt squad to be the backbone of the Nid army in T1 and early into T2, progressively falling off after that. I always find that if I loose my Hormagaunt squad in T1, the difficulty of a successful engagement dramatically increases. If you are finding the squad weak or squishy, you need to change your approach on how you close the gap with them.

For warriors, you can get away with not purchasing them if you are HT, but otherwise you always want them no matter the matchup for the synapse. I don't understand why you think buying them vs SM or OM is a must though. In my experience, SM and OM have pretty easy methods of dealing with warriors in T1, and come T2 SM usually get plasma regardless which shreads Warriors. Typically it's a unit I have avoided in the past when going up against SM (at least as the HT). There are definitely some benefits to the Thorax Swarm but I typically get Adrenal Glands if I've kept my warriors default in T1, making horms a threat in T2 and to keep them relevant in fights.

Genestealers are garbage. If you lost your horms in T1, you can purchase these in T2, but they will bleed your army a lot and in my experience don't accomplish much. I would probably upgrade my Ravs to mele in this case instead of buying genes.

Tyrant Guard is easily the best general purchase Nid unit in T2. Opposing armies do not want to purchase AV against Nids in T2. If used properly, the TG can become very annoying for an army with no AV given it's shield wall ability. It also has a giant health pool and is a good combat initiator.

I used to get Zoans a lot, but ever since their focused blast was nerfed, I find they are not very effective and can get shot down too fast. They also seem to miss their shots ~25% of the time against units standing still, which I do not understand. I would like to see their focus warp blast buffed so they can once again target infantry models. It was a good solution for disrupting a set up team. You only want them if you are camping which is not generally a strong point for Nids.

T3 is pretty straight forward with Nids. I agree the SL is under-rated. I used to think it was the worst T3 super-unit in the game but I don't think so anymore, mainly because of its blade flurry on retreating squads. I would likely say that title belongs to battlewagon followed closely by baneblade.

-AssMan

eat my ass formating
you have to buy warriors vs OM and SM else you're wasting too much time waiting for their t1,5 power spike to happen which absolutely crushes you, especially the SM one.

Genestealers are the only t2 unit alongside venom brood that has any impact in the game, tyrant guard is a piece of garbage unit that only allows your opponent to kite you endlessly, everytime floid buys it against me he throws the game with it.

also buying warriors no matter the matchup is silly, you cannot afford to give eldar more breathing room to purchase more uncountered shurikens and orks punish you heavily for buying warriors unless you have HIGHLEVELMICRO
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 9:45 pm

Appreciate the effort, but stopped reading after "This guide isn't for 1v1".

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 7:16 pm

wow = cool guide

Return to “Strategy Discussion”