Beginner/New Players

Strategy and L2P topics.
ixzenxi
Level 0

Beginner/New Players

Postby ixzenxi » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 2:44 am

Hi, not sure if this belongs here but I just picked up the game a week ago and installed the mod. I was wondering what would be the best/most effective way to start learning the basics and mechanics for the game?

I asked in the chat about playing against the AI and got responses saying the AI is horrible. I've been watching replays casted by Indird, Cretella and Rupee and learned some things but implementing it in game is a different story.

Also, I know on the old forums there be a post about Training on Saturdays but it seems to be gone/over?? The L2P Dow2 group also seems to be dead.

Any suggestions or tips? I really want to get into mp asap. Thanks :D
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Re: Beginner/New Players

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 3:35 am

join some 3v3s that do not include helios and some other guy; they tend to get pissy.

if you just want to see what's new you can do a game against the ai but again, it's shit and won't make you better.

also see if you can get a hold of marceline (sp?); he's the one who does the l2p stuff and sometimes hangs out in the standard chat.
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 7:11 am

I don't get to play much but I have started logging into the L2P chat. I am usually on my own but I am hoping to start a trend.

I am not new, just lacking in pro skill :-) . If by the small chance we are on line at the same time I would be happy to help you out
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:35 am

I suggest going to Elite mod chat. Most of the people who used to hang out at L2P and are still playing are in Elite mod chat these days.
#noobcodex
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 1:41 pm

the L2P as a whole is pretty much gone but now Codex which sometimes goes under the name Marceline does some L2P sessions carefully explaining everything he does, everyone is free to join them and i recommend you to join his steam group to know when he does them.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L2PCodexUnubcake

And like it was said above just join the elite chat and ask questions if you have any or use it look for players of your level to play with/against.
ixzenxi
Level 0

Postby ixzenxi » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 3:48 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm usually in the group chat and see people hosting games but I'm kinda reluctant on joining since I assume they're fairly good and I don't want to be the "newb" in the game and holding teammates back.

I also ask if anyone is hosting games for lower skilled players but no one seems to respond lol.
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 6:29 am

Host some yourself.
Servant of CTan
Level 1

Postby Servant of CTan » Fri 03 May, 2013 1:09 pm

Can anyone give a noob some advice?

I typically play with my friend on the mod and he mains IG LG, and while still noobish, he is defiantly better then me. My question, is what faction would be the most beneficial to helping out his squishy GM in 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 battles?

I used to go Nids but I am squishy like IG and my noob status means that synapse units are just bombs waiting to go off rather than buffs for my army. When I did play Nids I went LA (cause he's cool lol) if that helps in showing my army composition.

After loosing pretty hardcore with Nids and IG if figured an army of heavy armored units to complement IG would work better, but EVERYONE it seems plays as SM so I went Chaos with the CS, and Im still getting destroyed. In fact my IG counterpart always scores higher than me in our games, so what do I need to do to help the team out better?
FiSH
Level 3

Postby FiSH » Fri 03 May, 2013 2:57 pm

I'd recommend playing the Warboss.
He excels at melee combat, and shootas are awesome. I consider him to be one of the easier commanders to play in mid-level games. T2 may be a little rough, but that's when IG truly shines. (Especially LG)
Sure, there are many subtle things that needs to be done with any heroes, but as long as you can counter set-up teams and dodge AOE attacks, Orkz can be a great team race. I also suggest Warboss over other Ork commanders because he has an easier time dealing with jump/melee troops that try to kill your shootas.
><%FiSH((@>
Servant of CTan
Level 1

Postby Servant of CTan » Fri 03 May, 2013 3:05 pm

FiSH wrote:I'd recommend playing the Warboss.
He excels at melee combat, and shootas are awesome. I consider him to be one of the easier commanders to play in mid-level games. T2 may be a little rough, but that's when IG truly shines. (Especially LG)
Sure, there are many subtle things that needs to be done with any heroes, but as long as you can counter set-up teams and dodge AOE attacks, Orkz can be a great team race. I also suggest Warboss over other Ork commanders because he has an easier time dealing with jump/melee troops that try to kill your shootas.

Thanks.

So WB huh? What wargear do you recommend, for a general playstyle? Also what build orders synergize with the WB? I seen most people get 2 - 3 shootas, but I typically don't like the ranged blob of death; Im not denying its effectiveness, its I just don't like blobing up one group of the same unit; but then again that's probobly why I loose as much as I do lol.
FiSH
Level 3

Postby FiSH » Fri 03 May, 2013 3:42 pm

The build is up to you and is completely situational, but I usually do

1. either
shoota->shoota->storm->big shoota upgrade->big stomp upgrade if opponent goes jump troop->big shooota upgrade->T2

2. or
2x shoota->2x big shoota->get big stomp if enemy gets jump troop->burna on slugga -> T2

there are matchups that requires lootas as well as painboy (I actually think painboy is lackluster in T1), but that is not as common.

As far as wargears go, I usually get the big stomp every game. It works really well with charge (took a nerf in a recent patch, ha), as well as in late game (such as when your nobz are fighting lightning claw termies, the big stomp stun can be invaluable). It is important to punish people for not getting proper melee counters (knockback or suppression) by getting charge, otherwise WB will just get kited. If they do have some proper melee counters, boss poll/trophy rack are both solid choices. The bang bang hammer is really good too, but I tend to play my WB as a shoota body guard, so I usually save for the claw.
><%FiSH((@>
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Fri 03 May, 2013 4:40 pm

Even if you don't like the 2x shoota build. Do it 3x slugga etc is hard to pull off.
As Fish said get the big stomp it's a very effective melee counter. (banshees gonna hate)
Charge to counter melee blobs (doesn't work so well if enemy has suppression)
And if you are having troubles with enemy heroes get the kustom shoota it has a great ability effective vs heroes (not effective against heroes that can't be knocked down)
or boss pole if you want to buff your units
in t2 the power klaw is mostly a no brain upgrade since it does 95 heavy melee.
or the trophy rack-25% damage reduction to nearby enemies.
in t3 you can get the eavy armor +900HP increase. But still the big stomp is very useful against hard dedicated melee (seer council, genestealers, etc)
Servant of CTan
Level 1

Postby Servant of CTan » Fri 03 May, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for the tips, I will try this out tonight.

Who know, me and my buddy might actually win a game :lol:
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Fri 03 May, 2013 5:00 pm

Servant add me on steam. right now im at the elite group chat. im doing some trainings for my friends (new players)
Servant of CTan
Level 1

Postby Servant of CTan » Fri 03 May, 2013 6:40 pm

Wish I could, but I'm at work right now :cry:
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Sat 04 May, 2013 1:32 am

becareful with the sluggas; they're about as fragile as banshees and do less damage. not as expensive but you need them to repair vehicles and rebuying them can suck. ]

has anyone else noticed that orks seem to repair slower than anyone else? am i just imagining things?
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Sat 04 May, 2013 7:21 am

I dont think they repair slower :).
And sluggas are the only garrison counter in t1 with burnas so another + to keep them alive and in t2 with Nob they are awesome
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sat 04 May, 2013 11:16 am

Sluggas have higher base dps than banshees (shees have power melee though so they do more damage against HI/SHI). And while Shees have higher melee skill and probably a better special attack, I think vanilla sluggas beat vanilla shees 1v1 if they use waagh. So sluggas are nothing to be scoffed at. They are very squishy in T1 though.
#noobcodex
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Sat 04 May, 2013 11:40 am

Shees are squishy too :P Maestro said that hormagraunts and maybe AC heretics have higher DPS than shees. But teh melee skill
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sat 04 May, 2013 12:26 pm

Even vanilla tics have higher dps than shees (if the dps of shees and tics has not been changed since retail) and hormas have the highest dps of vanilla T1 melee squads.
#noobcodex
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Sat 04 May, 2013 12:59 pm

Yeah but still . Shees are just high melee skill (higher melee skill=more special attacks)
and very fast unit
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 04 May, 2013 3:57 pm

That still doesn't change the fact that the other units as said above have higher dps. Correcting the false statement made.

Shes are melee skill 70 just as the rest.
Last edited by Dark Riku on Sat 04 May, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Servant of CTan
Level 1

Postby Servant of CTan » Sat 04 May, 2013 5:29 pm

Alright I tried out the WB and double shootas as suggested, and ... Wow. I am actually doing pretty good. Oh I still suck, just not at the same level I did before.

I'm still trying to get my head around when to use WAGH and how to keep my sluggas from being wiped in the first engagement, but I have been able to get to Tier 2 more frequently and actually buy units in said tier.

One thing though, I kinda like the Mekboy. WB is good, and his two globals are awesome, but I don't know, something about the Mek just makes me like him lol.

Is the Mekboy a good hero for a noob like myself to use? If so, can he still help out my IG LG buddy in 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3 matches? Also, what wargear and builds work the best with this hero?
FiSH
Level 3

Postby FiSH » Sat 04 May, 2013 9:50 pm

Dark Riku wrote:Shes are melee skill 70 just as the rest.

What rest?
Horma, slugga have lower melee skill, tics have higher melee skill (but no special attack) iirc.

As for the Mekboy, he's sweet, I don't play him so I am not entirely sure how things work out, but from what I've seen:
1. good synergy with storms/sluggas with heal/shield
2. good disruption, even better in T2 with shield
3. many funny abilities in late game
4. globals that are very very good. the more dakka global is currently very powerful with the knockback, (sigh... why doesn't the crack shot do this...) and kult of speed is always awesome.
><%FiSH((@>
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 04 May, 2013 10:05 pm

Catachans, ogryns, asm, raptors, Strike squad, melee heroes, etc. That rest.
Codex

Postby Codex » Mon 06 May, 2013 6:45 pm

Melee skill isn't as simple as more special attacks.

A unit with higher melee skill is immune to getting special attacked. This is why you'll never see a banshee special attack a level 5 apothecary. The only time when both parties can throw special attacks is when they have equal melee skill.

This makes levels even more significant.
Righteousness does not make right
Maestro Cretella
Shoutcaster

Postby Maestro Cretella » Tue 07 May, 2013 6:01 am

Maestro's answers:
1. Play more.
2. Stop worrying about what you should play and just pick what you want to play.
3. Watch replays/casts of your chosen hero/faction and ask questions about it.
4. Play more.
Servant of CTan
Level 1

Postby Servant of CTan » Tue 07 May, 2013 1:05 pm

Maestro Cretella wrote:Maestro's answers:
1. Play more.
2. Stop worrying about what you should play and just pick what you want to play.
3. Watch replays/casts of your chosen hero/faction and ask questions about it.
4. Play more.

Thanks lol, yeah I need to stay with one faction/hero and stop jumping around. I am the best with the LA if not so much the Nids, so I guess I will focus on improving my nid playstyle.

I really don't like to go all shooty blob though, its effective, but nothing is more satisfying to me then forcing a banshee squad to run from my melee units.

My typical build order is TG, TG, Pheremones wargear for LA (really helps keep my squads in the field, and I can help out allies with it), CP for TGs, Warrior Brood, Tier 2, and then GS when I get there. In between tier upgrades I give my HG AG and upgrade my LA with Toxin Misasmia (gotta love the reduction in enemy damage) and when Tier 2 hits I get Deadly Jump, helps me deal with ranged blobs.

I do need to improve though, more often then not my Synapse creatures are bombs to my army, and my flexablity/adaptability on the battlefield need to improve as well.

Also, my IG buddy (he's been smart, only played as one hero of one faction, while I would jump around and play as different ones every other match) has been having trouble dealing with SM players.

He knows to get double suppression if the player goes ASMs, he also knows to get his LG into melee early game to tie up ranged squads and then focus fire with 3 GM (his standard build, no Sent), but he has been having trouble in tier 1.5 - 2. He can force a SM squad to retreat, but by the time T2 hits, said squads are a high lvl (2-3) and is able to take on his new T2 units (ogryns) fairly easily.

Got any tips for my buddy and I, knowing that?
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Tue 07 May, 2013 1:26 pm

Genestealers are not so great unit vs ig not useless but not so great as zoans
Maybe you should get a venom brood +zoan venom brood will act as av and if you upgrade them they will give ranged synapse (zoan snare+venom brood)
If the enemy has suppression 2x genestealers will have a lot of problems and if he has ogryns (disruption) they will be easy dealt with in combat (just dont let them heal from adrenal rush) In t3 i would get a barbled strangler fex and then swarmlord or Doom if enemy has ogryns they will do a lot of damage to ogryns+he has that disruption ability (cataclysm ?)
FiSH
Level 3

Postby FiSH » Tue 07 May, 2013 1:39 pm

kvek i think he's asking about what to do in IG+nids vs SM. :)
why doesn't your friend do 2xguardsmen + sent -> catachan + med pack? seems like a very common LG build...
><%FiSH((@>

Return to “Strategy Discussion”