Role of the Dark Reapers

Strategy and L2P topics.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Role of the Dark Reapers

Postby Schepp himself » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 4:28 pm

Hej guys, don't know if it fits into the Strategy Discussion Sub, so move it if it doesn't.

I was wondering (for some time now) what the role of the Dark Reapers are in this game. I mean I get that they are anti-heavy infantry, but in game, I don't see much usage of them or (in theory?!) they get overshadowed by the wraithguard with their high range plasma damage.

I would love to get some thoughts and experience from you.

Thanks in advance!

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
PianoMan
Level 3

Re: Role of the Dark Reapers

Postby PianoMan » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 4:31 pm

wg have shorter range, are easier to tie up and don't counter terminators/guo like dark reapers do
so they're just there to shit on things the eldar race already shits on, unit should probably be removed but we'd rather do pointless changes to rangers yknow
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 5:53 pm

Wraithgauard are short range tanks with wraithcannons that blast anything they hit since they do melta damage but anything can tie they up so but they have a lot of hp and can tank damage for you.

Dark reapers are your long range inferno damage unit not plasma damage, they used to back in the old days but they broke matchups sm mainly while making them poor vs other infantry race since plasma damage is worse vs infantry.

So dark reaper role is to shit on all infantry at range, long range to be that idk why people don't use the much but I guess people get so stuck in there build orders they don't want to try stuff. Think of them like mark of Tzeentch chaos marines but with more range and now damage in t3 with the aspect buff.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Kvn
Level 3

Postby Kvn » Sat 17 Aug, 2019 6:33 pm

The reason people don't use them often is because they are fairly fragile, cost about as much as a Warp Spider to reinforce (and any Eldar player can tell you, losing WS models hurts a lot in the long run), lack any kind of natural mobility (no fleet/teleport/etc), and while they are better against infantry than they used to be, they are still primarily focused on anti-HI/anti-SHI. Due to their somewhat low hp for a T2 unit, lack of escape mechanisms, and some anti-synergy with your other forces (slightly slower in general, meaning your other troops have to stay with them and protect) it makes them a niche unit who's main role is to be used for ranged superiority against a primarily HI/SHI enemy army. They are also VERY weak to melee should a troop close in (mainly jump troops, but light infantry melee troops can also rush them down if caught out of position).

As it happens, that same role can be filled to an extent by Wraithguard who also offer tanking, higher burst, AV damage, and somewhat more reliable suppression (pinning fire does not suppress instantly) at the cost of being easier to target as they stand at the front instead of in the back.

DR are not a bad unit, just fairly situational one relying on a certain enemy composition and having a frontline to sit behind, which Eldar aren't great at providing thanks to being made of paper. They are great when shooting at the right targets, and not getting shot in response.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 12:43 am

Were not talking about poop spiders tho, they are a crap unit after the quote on quote buffs haha, nerfs don't get shit spiders. Dark reapers are not that fragile, even with not having fleet you get 48 range one of the highest for a range unit unless you count arty so I don't see how anything other than jump unit catching them in melee but you have banshees so.

Also inferno damage is for all infantry so only bad thing about them is no av and that there weakness.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:35 am

I'd say dark reapers are hard to use because they're not an offensive unit since they get no fotm and low mobility, also they're not a reaction unit (as would be a brightlance against an enemy walker for example).

So basically you get them when you already have the advantage, to put even more pressure on your enemy. In such cases it's the nail in the coffin, they really wreak havoc while your opponent is engaged by your main force and suddenly finds his infantry pinned down and badly hurt, while not being able to respond.

They're great to pick up HI models at range, which is what eldar often struggle at.

Plus the long distance suppression is especially powerful and can help support your vehicles against AV.

Finally you can choose not to go T3 and still win against terminators thanks to these guys, and that is huge.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 1:26 pm

Hm. After all that positivity I seriously wonder why I don't see them more often ingame...

But thanks a lot for your feedback!

Greets
Schepp himself
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 7:33 am

Dark Reapers are fragile because they are long range TCSM with a good firing pattern. You don't want them anywhere near the standard firing range of ranged infantry which is 38. You always want to kite back and continue firing until your opponents unit has to retreat.

Reapers and Wraithguard fulfill very different roles or at least were supposed to. Back when WG had fotm I supposed to make them Frontline tanks to soften up enemy lines that could open up attack vantages for the Eldar player because they had no such unit before and fotm was ridiculously OP. All 3 heroes have fantastic support for WG BTW in the Form of e.g. Guide, Crack Shot, Channeling Runes so that is nice too.
Dark Reapers are long range fire support that forces choices on your opponents side because you can't just sit there and wait but have to engage lest you get shot to pieces from long range without ever even seeing a single Banshee or DA. Once your Havocs, Devs, Tacs, CSM or any other heavy infantry is gone, is when the Eldar will make his move most likely. They also make jumping into your units with ASM or Raptors very unfavorable because Banshees AND Dark Reapers means gtfo or lose models quick. That requires good positioning on your side of course but that is always the case in this game but often more so when playing Eldar since they have very specialized units that need to fight the correct enemies units.

The reason some unit is not seen often has nothing to do with its performance in most cases. It's rigid build orders and lack of creativity mostly.

P.S: They really destroy GK btw and that is always a good thing.
Chokolata
Level 1

Postby Chokolata » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 5:17 am

I try to incorporate the unit in my builds as often as i can against MEQ races. it is a bit on the expensive side though
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 7:44 pm

Chokolata wrote:[...]MEQ races. [...]

Some love for my Tabletop-mate! <3

Greets
Schepp himself
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 10:17 pm

Yeah I think DR have a place specifically as a 2nd T2 buy vs SM and OM and potentialllly vs Chaos. They need something to keep units off their back, but they put out some nice damage at range esp if the enemy goes for an only so-so level of shooting.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”