Are GK just impossible to shut down in 3v3?

Strategy and L2P topics.
Sielas
Level 1

Are GK just impossible to shut down in 3v3?

Postby Sielas » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 4:42 pm

It feels like no amount of early victories ever matter if GK just manage to rat out the game until T3 where they can spam Paladins and Terminators as much as they want. Regularly have games were I wipe a strike squad+IST, have the Brother-Captain on the ground for most of the game and do 1-2 full power bashes and the game ends in a ridiculous comeback of terminators walking through torrents of Plasma and Inferno damage. Meanwhile losing a squad of something like CSM/Tacs/Banshees feels like you're almost completely out of the game. What I'd think would be a way to abuse early advantages is doubling an adjacent opponent, but I feel like I'm already doing a whole lot of that. Suggestions?
Impregnable
Level 4

Re: Are GK just impossible to shut down in 3v3?

Postby Impregnable » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 4:50 pm

Sielas wrote:It feels like no amount of early victories ever matter if GK just manage to rat out the game until T3 where they can spam Paladins and Terminators as much as they want. Regularly have games were I wipe a strike squad+IST, have the Brother-Captain on the ground for most of the game and do 1-2 full power bashes and the game ends in a ridiculous comeback of terminators walking through torrents of Plasma and Inferno damage. Meanwhile losing a squad of something like CSM/Tacs/Banshees feels like you're almost completely out of the game. What I'd think would be a way to abuse early advantages is doubling an adjacent opponent, but I feel like I'm already doing a whole lot of that. Suggestions?

- Currently, they are confirmed to be officially OP in team games. The patch that will nerf OM is coming out before 21st of July so look forward to it. You will get faster and real time response by asking at the official discord. https://discord.gg/pBCw88v
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Torpid

Re: Are GK just impossible to shut down in 3v3?

Postby Torpid » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 6:11 pm

The 3v3 meta is really strange. Losing CSM in late T2 really isn't that bad of a thing, though tzeentch marines are pretty good vs terminators so it might be worth keeping them, but playing as eldar, losing shees/dire avengers (other than 1 with low models to repair), losing your IST as GK and so on, is really not such a bad thing as it lowers your upkeep and in the late game allows you to field more of your op t3 units.

terminator spam wins 3v3 games, or kommando/nob/git spam if you are orks. Or carnifex spam as nids. Eldar/IG can't really compare. Yes lemans are great and prisms are great but the thing is once you can counter 1 leman/prism you can generally count 4, just killing them one by one quicker than their eco can replace them whilst the infantry units that kill them start to get level ups and get even more powerful.

Terminators are limited by their red cost but fortunately for GK their "terminator" terminators (i.e. the none-paladin ones) cost 0 red. this is why they are capped at 1. but dealing with 2 SHI squads is much harder than 1. Still, paladins+termiantors is not great vs a tank, so next patch, when GK av is significantly weaker due to the huge nerfs both psilencers and the conversion beamer are getting, getting that fast tank should do you well until you can get your own terminators out. Granted, against GK terminators you would only want lightning claw terminators, otherwise you're actually better of getting Pdevs to counter their purgation squads and having plasma tacs+a melee dreadnought to kill the terminators, with a tank to do enough pew pew to fend off the IST which will, when fully upgraded, out-shoot your tacs quiite badly, as well as to kill the BC fairly quick because he's a big tanky pain that can charge your Pdevs otherwise.

A lot of these problems stem from the fact that in 1v1 GK do so much worse. In 1v1 the purgs are required to go around capping the sides of the maps not just blobbing together in a death-ball waiting for you to charge them and their double termies. In fact, in 1v1 they likely won't even get double termies because 1 termy, even if it is a paladin will struggle to kill a tank. So when t3 hits it's terminator variant vs tank, tank wins because even if it cannot kill pallies straight up it just zips around the map bleeding all the t1 GK squads and letting the SM get a superior eco due to the map control. Then you have a t3 dreadnought w/ dark age of technology out, vanguards, plasma tacs... the GK is kinda screwed.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!

Return to “Strategy Discussion”