What's up with Eldar AV?

Strategy and L2P topics.
Telos
Level 2

What's up with Eldar AV?

Postby Telos » Thu 30 May, 2019 7:09 am

This isn't a balance complaint.

I'm just genuinely curious why Eldar seem to have AV options on every other unit.

Weapon platform brightlance, power melee banshees, warp spider haywires, autarch melta, falcon, shoulder mounted brightlance wraithlord, anti-everything wraithguard, fire dragons, anti-everything d-cannons, anti-everything fire prisms, the only nuke in the game that stuns vehicles (in addition to good vehicle damage), even standard grenades do pretty good vehicle damage if landed well.

Was this amount of hard and soft AV on Eldar planned or did it just kinda happen over time? Do they even need this much AV? It seems like fire dragons hardly ever see play from all the options they have. Does Eldar need all these AV options depending on the situation and they're just designed to have a role for every niche case? It seems unique amongst all the races so wondering if it was a design decision.
Torpid

Re: What's up with Eldar AV?

Postby Torpid » Thu 30 May, 2019 4:31 pm

Well in retail they had the lots of soft AVs because wraithlord/falcon were not too viable (vehicles in general weren't) and then in addition to that brightlances do barely anymore damage than other weapon variants whilst not snaring or having notably longer range. Hence banshee heavy melee/WG AV/warp spider haywires.

Elite then added fire dragons, them being melta damage and thus anti-all is mostly just lore reasons, you'd have to ask Caeltos on the design behind their implementation. I just shrugged and left them, but undoubtedly they are very mediocre. Anti-all units nearly always are very hard to balance and either end up UP or OP. A little birdy told me Adila has some plans to re-design them though.

Dark reapers didn't get any AV though, yay!

So I guess it's just brightlance is bad AV on its own, then, elite buffed eldar vehicles so they were viable, which before didn't really do any AV. Looking back I think eldar are a bit like nids atm in that their AV is pretty great vs walkers but not so hot vs transports. Still, SM dreads are nice vs eldar so it can't be that bad.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Telos
Level 2

Re: What's up with Eldar AV?

Postby Telos » Sun 02 Jun, 2019 5:04 pm

That's interesting, thanks for the insights.

Yeah, I don't think Eldar AV is particularly OP. Just options everywhere, lol

Return to “Strategy Discussion”