When to use raptors over bloodletters?

Strategy and L2P topics.
Foomius
Level 0

When to use raptors over bloodletters?

Postby Foomius » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 12:01 pm

Aren't bloodletters just "better"? They cost the same, and they have power melee.

I guess they're t2 and you can't upgrade them, but still?

Hope this isn't too noob a question.
Faultron
Level 3

Re: When to use raptors over bloodletters?

Postby Faultron » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 1:01 pm

u buy raptors in T1 for countering setup units, or enemy have massed ranged units, they also have AV in T3
Farseer/Doombringer/Falcon/Mindwar IGN: Ypulse
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 1:21 pm

And can see more action IE more time to level them up.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 1:23 pm

Raptors are better crowd control due to their suppression and they are better vs something like a warp spider spam due to their heavy infantry armour.

In general the suppression they cause on jump makes them better anti-ranged units than the bloodletters, however in a straight up fight they are going to get shreded by letters or any other dedicated melee, bloodletters on the other hand can very easily beat fully upgraded banshees with worship support, so if you need some melee support, or if the enemy has really strong melee counter initiation (something that waits for you to jump their suppression then attacks the unit that jumped) like slugga boyz+painboy you will want bloodletters as they just do much much better vs melee.

I don't really think bloodletters are very useful in the chaosVSIG MU since lasguns kill them extremely quick and raptors can shut down the entire IG army with that suppression. The only time you should get BLs vs IG is probably if they go for 2x ogryns.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
xerrol nanoha
Level 2

Postby xerrol nanoha » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 6:39 pm

How does Chaos approach in the GK matchup since both factions are very melee heavy?
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 6:40 pm

letters all the way with GK..
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 6:50 pm

Bloodletter better than Raptors vs GK except maybe if the GK player spam Inquisitorial Stormtropers/Purgation squads.

The main problem I see is GK could nullify one of the Bloodletters' advantages: the use of their two abilities.
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 11:32 pm

Lost Son of Nikhel wrote:Bloodletter better than Raptors vs GK except maybe if the GK player spam Inquisitorial Stormtropers/Purgation squads.

The main problem I see is GK could nullify one of the Bloodletters' advantages: the use of their two abilities.

wrong.

Draining the energy on bloodletters is worthless because worship increases their energy regen.

Trying to snare them with purgation is worthless because if they are close enough they will activate their passive teleport and then your purgation are dead.
Vapor
Level 3

Postby Vapor » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 11:55 pm

I believe the dude was referring to canticle which can prevent phase shift, teleport, and even worship support.
Follow my stream! twitch.tv/frozenvapor100
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 3:11 am

Also don't forget the global silence.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 3:22 am

fv100 wrote:I believe the dude was referring to canticle which can prevent phase shift, teleport, and even worship support.

Heretics already in worship are not forced out of it by the canticle.

Bloodletters do not require phase shift or teleport to shred every GK infantry unit except terminators.

Dark Riku wrote:Also don't forget the global silence.

costs 175 red that should be used on the mind blades global instead so GK melee units can actually fight bloodletters instead of being special attacked into oblivion.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 3:23 am

Radio the Forest wrote:costs 175 red that should be used on the mind blades global instead so GK melee units can actually fight bloodletters instead of being special attacked into oblivion.
I'm not trying to debate anything here. I was merely trying to inform.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 3:31 am

Dark Riku wrote:
Radio the Forest wrote:costs 175 red that should be used on the mind blades global instead so GK melee units can actually fight bloodletters instead of being special attacked into oblivion.
I'm not trying to debate anything here. I was merely trying to inform.

I understand that.

My point is that fighting bloodletters as GK is much more difficult than simply casting the canticle of absolution or activating dark excommunication.
ThongSong
Level 3

Postby ThongSong » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 8:03 am

it's funny that grey knights get massacred by daemons.
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 8:08 am

Bloodletters are pretty much nuts at the moment. 1200 health, 40 power melee dps each model, 2 abilities that allow them to counter ranged units or setup teams, can be healed by worshipping heretics and you pay only 400/40 to get them and they do any job better than khorne marines (who are more expensive) except chasing. Bloodletters cannot chase units properly and that is the only thing that doesn't make them OP.

Who prefer khorne marines over OP aka tzeentch marines I don't even know. At least just for fun.

I am sorry for this off-topic message.
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 8:18 am

ThongSong wrote:it's funny that grey knights get massacred by daemons.

You don't even http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfJUi4cB4oc
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 8:56 am

Radio the Forest wrote:
Bloodletters do not require phase shift or teleport to shred every GK infantry unit except terminators.

That's just wrong, t2 GK can easily shred bloodletters like if they were paper
SirSid
Level 2

Postby SirSid » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 9:56 am

Kvek wrote:
Radio the Forest wrote:

Yha that's what iv been having in my GK games as well , did blood letters get buffed recently and i missed it or something ?

I never strugle vs letter with GK they have 1200 HP but only 4 models and can melt fast , just make sure u don't try to use purigation to supress them ( thare warp jump negates this )

purifiers WTF kill them and intorceptrs and purifiers ( what most players have it seems ) make getting letters folly against GK ? ?

am i missing something hear ?
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:35 am

You know melee fights between two power melee squads become tricky when one of them wear light armor. Bloodletters will be doing extra damage against purifiers while purifiers won't.

Usually it is better to wear light armor for melee fights. However it makes light armored units easier to be shot on approach. Which is not the case with blood letters who have the ability to prevent it.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 2:59 pm

SirSid wrote:
Kvek wrote:
Radio the Forest wrote:

Yha that's what iv been having in my GK games as well , did blood letters get buffed recently and i missed it or something ?

I never strugle vs letter with GK they have 1200 HP but only 4 models and can melt fast , just make sure u don't try to use purigation to supress them ( thare warp jump negates this )

purifiers WTF kill them and intorceptrs and purifiers ( what most players have it seems ) make getting letters folly against GK ? ?

am i missing something hear ?

purifiers require 750/150 to use properly. You need the justicar AND the nemesis warding staff for them to even stand a chance vs bloodletters.

Interceptors don't beat bloodletters.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 3:27 pm

SirSid wrote:I never strugle vs letter with GK they have 1200 HP but only 4 models and can melt fast , just make sure u don't try to use purigation to supress them ( thare warp jump negates this )
Bloodletters are suppression immune.
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 3:27 pm

You don't need the warding staff...

Purgs>bloodletters hard, puris>bls hard, libby can do some shenanigans and fuck them over too, VA will lol at them from range, and we all know what dread does to bloodletters
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:57 am

Kvek wrote:You don't need the warding staff...

Purgs>bloodletters hard, puris>bls hard, libby can do some shenanigans and fuck them over too, VA will lol at them from range, and we all know what dread does to bloodletters

purgation lol.

As stated previously, purgation cannot effectively snare bloodletters due to their passive teleport.

Purifiers don't beat bloodletters. And yes they do require the warding staff to help counter the inevitable trololol counter to GK: drowning units in plasma damage.

Phase shift counters any libby shenanigans.

I refuse to accept that the only way to play Grey Knights is to abuse the Vindicare assassin.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 3:07 am

Heavy bolter rhino + libby, hammer on BC alongside canticle, fully upgraded GKI + 2x plasma guns on IST, the idea is to be so aggressive that he can't field a vehicle and by the time he does you have a dread or even worse pallies. Still... You could just get a VA when they get a vehicle and that would synergise excellently with the libby.
Foomius
Level 0

Postby Foomius » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 8:22 am

Thanks for the interesting replies, folks.
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 9:06 am

The Strike Squad Energy Burst ability is great on non-supported Bloodletters.
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.
ThongSong
Level 3

Postby ThongSong » Mon 13 Jan, 2014 3:13 am

canticle of absolution the moment you see them and focus fire the filthy daemons down
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 3:12 am

^ this
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 5:12 pm

CA is kind of the defacto go to ability for dealing with every issue.

heretic spam? CA so they cant doom blast
bansheeS? CA so they cant shout
other GK CA to troll their asses.

might be off topic , but is CA to much of a staple ability now?

anyway, raptors are great as long as you dont expect them to do the heavy lifting in the melee department.

using gk as an example using just raptors will get them owned via focus firing,
but conversely using raptors to cover the approach of a heretic squad and your hero can usually force retreat a gk player.

gk has good melee when supported with abilities , but chaos just has better melee in general , so it is easy to overwhelm gk with body count alone.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 5:53 pm

Nope, CA isn't too good, I get the first armour in 75% of the games I play with the bro-captain and nemesis vortex is still really strong since that nemmy+hellfury combo can wipe squads in an instant.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”