Any Tips for a struggling newb?

Strategy and L2P topics.
Nehkrosis
Level 1

Any Tips for a struggling newb?

Postby Nehkrosis » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 8:06 am

So I've been playing for about a month now, and after taking just a week break,
I already feel like i'm starting over fresh!

Having a bunch of issues with staying in lane and effective,
taking trades and knowing my match-ups (strong/weak vs X)

I primarily play Plague Champion, and have started branching into Apothecary.

Anyone have any tips to keep in mind, or an idea how i could improve my game?
(If any of you have played with me, i'd love your feedback and criticism!)
Sex - Murder - Art
Level 2

Re: Any Tips for a struggling newb?

Postby Sex - Murder - Art » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 8:44 pm

I think you should write spesific situations that you have struggle. This is a very big game to write a whole guide.
There are many ways to say the right thing, and I choose the worst way to say it.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 10:08 pm

finding people have the same skill as you and convincing them to play 1v1s regularly with you might sound a bit hard and boring at first (from new players pov that is) but as the time goes on : you both get better (going up pretty fast skill-wise) and also it becomes really fun after a while.
that is one way to do it, a harder way is ofc finding new people for 2v2s,3v3s and tag the lobby "Low" or "Beginners" or sth like that.
also if you are in a tough lobby and there is another new player, u can ask the host to balance the game.
playing retail is not advised although might be easier for people that have less than 100 hours (still i dont advise it cuz retail is terrible, but u are welcome to try)
Good luck
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Nehkrosis
Level 1

Postby Nehkrosis » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 3:54 am

Thanks for the responses guy, really appreciate it.

Will be spending sometime tomorrow getting 1v1s/2v2s in, and its Friday so I'm sure there will be people about.

As per situations, it's heavy melee champions vs my plague champ, early t1. Brother captain, force commander, hive tyrant. These guys force me out of lane regularly. In fact, I know the player is newer than me if I force them out :p.

Cant find a suitable early t1 way to kite and bring down the champ, and trying to focus Tacs/scouts/hormaguants dosnt seem to work fast enough.

Worship helps, but only when your trading in range, if thry close with me, I start to feel it fast.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 5:37 am

Well you are -meant- to lose vs such heroes in the early game, after all, that's what those heroes excel at - raw up front combat.

Once you get a suppression team out to inflict lots of damage to them as they close in/deter them from doing that things should change. If those tanky melee heroes are still giving you issues, or say they get charge on the HT+warriors, or ASM alongside the FC, you then have the option to go plague sword as the PC which will allow him to 1v1 those tanky melee heroes quite easily and well as do absolutely loads of damage to heavy infantry t1 squads.

But no matter how good you are you are expected to lose those first fights vs such heroes, even if you are a better player than them. If you are the chaos sorcerer it is even more disadvantageous to you early on, but... To compensate you generally get far better buffs and influence in the later game. In T2 a fully upgraded plague champion is far scarier in an army vs army fight than a chaos lord the vast majority of the time and you get the best shrine, best bloodletters (ironically) and some amazing globals on top of that as well as extra vehicle synergy courtesy of that extra repair unit.

You should find the tanky melee heroes less powerful in 1v1 as you are given the option to avoid them and exploit the fact that they don't actually do much damage, they just take forever to kill and will do a lot of damage if you are stuck in melee with them. Since in a 1v1 there's far more ground to cover they can't just bum-rush you with their entire army like they can in a lane of argus desert game, or a similar 3v3 map... This allows you to hold a lot more ground until your t1.5 unit comes out, maybe even bleeding more models with your PC than his FC/CL/HT can. Especially CL/HT since they have poor sidearms (or none in case of HT).
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Nehkrosis
Level 1

Postby Nehkrosis » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks man, great advice, plenty to mull over.

So i am kind of just trying to delay maximum success for those heroes, till i can say, drop a turret, or get havocs etc.
Would things like getting a bile spewer and go double Ticks be better earlier, than double CSM with Ewar?
Thats what i normally go for
Sex - Murder - Art
Level 2

Postby Sex - Murder - Art » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 9:05 am

Against those heroes, Plague Champion is the best option rather than Chaos Lord or Sorcerer. You can just shoot them down from a distance from 2 different ranged source. Double CSM is a better opening than double Heretics against these heroes. They can kill Heretics so easy with just one wargear.

FC is easier to deal with at this point with lower health. You can use your starting Heretics to get close - doom blast to suppress him - and then back them off - and keep firing at him. His Battle Cry special attacks are deadly against your tics, so you would like to keep them away from him, or at least get close for a Doomblast and the back off.

Hive Tyrant is harder compared to FC. HT is slower, but you may like to force off Hormogaunts before HT it self. HT speed is only problem untill he gets his charging armor up. However, when the Hormogaunts are gone, HT is easy to deal with. Easy to kite, just takes longer to kill. You can just focus it down with everything you have. Ignore going for double Heretics, Rending Talons is all it takes to kill your them.

Brother Captain is the hardest. He is like a Hive Tyrant without the speed problem. However, he doesn't have the raw damage like FC or HT. You can force him off with heretics swarming around, and CSM + PC ranged damage in, unless he gets a 360 degree special attack. Double CSM into Havocs usually works. If he goes from multiple Storm Troopers, just go for Raptors later on. BC might be fast and tanky, but him self is not very strong at the beggining. Your main issue should be against Strike Squad.

Always keep your CSM and PC seperate, so they won't be tied up in melee combat at once. If one of them gets tied up, keep firing with the other one. Use Heretics for defence.
There are many ways to say the right thing, and I choose the worst way to say it.
Nehkrosis
Level 1

Postby Nehkrosis » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 10:12 am

Sounds great! I'll have to try and spread my guys out a little more so.
Usually i bunch up early if im using things like Mucus Discharge, but i suppose
it means i have to try and keep some what more mobile.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 2:17 pm

Blobbing in t1 for mucus is good vs energy ranged builds but if they are using a lot of melee try saving your mucus to use on your aspiring champion heretics instead of the more obvious CSM. A well timed mucus discharge+a bile spewer PC will beat T2 exarch banshees on their own without the tics even ending up below 50% hp.

But yeah, don't go bile spewer vs tanky melee heroes that will make your ranged dps worse vs them and it isn't worth the slow, you'd be better off as I say, getting plague sword if you really must. Since it ignores melee resist it does huge chunks to them for a t1 weapon.
Nehkrosis
Level 1

Postby Nehkrosis » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 3:57 pm

Ah i see.
Also, as though the Gods themselves were watching, i played a 3v3 against a Hive Tyrant, Warboss, and a Force Commander :P

Went double Tics, single CSM, Raptors and Havocs, and eventually went for Plague Sword, Suppression armour, and Icon of Nurgle.
Was super effective, the PM tore up the group fights, and some kiting with my units eventually was able to bring down the heavier heroes without too many losses!
Ive saved the replay if anyone is interested in taking a look.

Thanks again for all the advice guys!
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 4:04 pm

Nehkrosis wrote:Ah i see.
Also, as though the Gods themselves were watching, i played a 3v3 against a Hive Tyrant, Warboss, and a Force Commander :P

Went double Tics, single CSM, Raptors and Havocs, and eventually went for Plague Sword, Suppression armour, and Icon of Nurgle.
Was super effective, the PM tore up the group fights, and some kiting with my units eventually was able to bring down the heavier heroes without too many losses!
Ive saved the replay if anyone is interested in taking a look.

Thanks again for all the advice guys!

That's a nice t1! Good to see you are able to pull that off even in 3v3.

The chaos gods are always watching.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”