Games for People Who are Bad at this Game

Strategy and L2P topics.
Surprise Attack!
Level 2

Games for People Who are Bad at this Game

Postby Surprise Attack! » Sat 28 Dec, 2013 1:53 am

I'm making this thread so that people in our skill category can say hi in the thread, add each other, and then play games with each other until hopefully, we are no longer noobs. There is a very good resource on the ELITE mod steam community which does something very similar to this, I'll put the link below this paragraph.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DoW2El ... 1388145985

This is an attempt to get people who feel like they aren't good at this game to play against people with whom they actually have a chance against instead of getting trapped in their base after 5 minutes.

Currently, my situation in DoW2 Elite is the following.

- The only multiplayer RTS I've played for more than 5 hours is CoH, mostly against the computer and other players only when I was with friends. I got somewhat decent at CoH in the sense that I could win a 1v1 against a Hard AI.

- I have basically never played DoW2 mp until I started playing Elite. Since I started playing Elite, I've been trying to get into the game more, playing a combo of Elite and retail. I've lost 40 games in a row so far, no wins.

- I think I know how to micro, but I often don't pay attention to my resources. I also once used the right click auto-buy thing and accidentally created 8 Guardian squads.

If any of the above makes you laugh and chuckle and say, "I've kinda done that..." feel free to add me! But first, post here so that others can add you as well. I am also fine with you adding me if you're a veteran player and have advice to offer, and I'm sure that everyone else as nooby as me feels the same way.
Asmon
Level 4

Re: Games for People Who are Bad at this Game

Postby Asmon » Sat 28 Dec, 2013 2:16 am

Nice initiative. Welcome =)
SirSid
Level 2

Postby SirSid » Sat 28 Dec, 2013 2:36 am

Welcome man

I highly recomend saving replays from your games and then watch them.

When u don't actualy have to play the game and have time to watch what u do u will see TONS of mistakes u make .

this is the fastest way to help u learn how to improve your game , till u get to a bit higher level of play then u will need to start learning from others.
Surprise Attack!
Level 2

Postby Surprise Attack! » Sat 28 Dec, 2013 3:45 am

SirSid wrote:Welcome man

I highly recomend saving replays from your games and then watch them.

When u don't actualy have to play the game and have time to watch what u do u will see TONS of mistakes u make .

this is the fastest way to help u learn how to improve your game , till u get to a bit higher level of play then u will need to start learning from others.

Hi SirSid,

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually do this already, like I mentioned, I did play CoH extensively. However, there's not much I can really learn from my replays except t1 initial build order from the opponent, because generally speaking, I cap 5 points and then get trapped in my spawn.

The issue then, of course, is that I don't even get to see what my opponent would be logically building in t2, because I have no power, he/she knows I have no power, and thus doesn't bother with a reasonable build, and instead gets 3 devastators or something.

The reason why I get trapped in spawn in the first place is because, quite simply, I'm slow to react and cannot focus on multiple tasks at the same time. I remember a long time ago, the one and only time I played the original Starcraft, I tried to get recruited into a clan, only to have the spectating clan member inform me that I had an APM of 15.

I didn't put up this thread for people who have an opportunity to learn by watching replays, I put up this thread for people who, like myself, do not, because the skill gap between us and our opponents is so wide that there is no opportunity to practice the new skills and techniques we may or may not have picked up by watching replays and casts.

Thanks!
ShowMeMagik
Level 2

Postby ShowMeMagik » Sat 28 Dec, 2013 7:47 am

Hey Suprise,

Awesome idea I too know the joys of being trapped in base after a couple of mins. I'll head over to steam and get you added. I'll also spread the word and if theres anything I can do to help let me know.

Can I suggest one of the casters does something to promote. The reason I'm here is due to indrids casts and having a short video on how to download and where to play would have helped. My biggest fear was how bad I would be so knowing about a noob friendly place would have helped.

Happy to help with this but no idea how to do such things.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Sat 28 Dec, 2013 9:42 am

Surprise Attack! wrote:Thanks for the suggestion! I actually do this already, like I mentioned, I did play CoH extensively. However, there's not much I can really learn from my replays except t1 initial build order from the opponent, because generally speaking, I cap 5 points and then get trapped in my spawn.

Then what you need from the replays is why this keeps happening and what to change so you can stop it. Having someone spectate you could also help.

Surprise Attack! wrote:The issue then, of course, is that I don't even get to see what my opponent would be logically building in t2, because I have no power, he/she knows I have no power, and thus doesn't bother with a reasonable build, and instead gets 3 devastators or something.

Well the mid-game isn't really that relevant for you until you can get there anyway. Worry about the T1 first.

Surprise Attack! wrote:The reason why I get trapped in spawn in the first place is because, quite simply, I'm slow to react and cannot focus on multiple tasks at the same time. I remember a long time ago, the one and only time I played the original Starcraft, I tried to get recruited into a clan, only to have the spectating clan member inform me that I had an APM of 15.

Luckily this is a low-APM game, although you need to get it a bit higher. You should probably get your habits reviewed -- are you using hotkeys properly, waypoints, rally point, and such. If you feel like spending the effort, you can do actual exercises to improve APM, although the game is simple enough that just playing it should be enough.

Consider that "perfect practice makes perfect" so at this point it might be cost-effective to consult a decent player and see you're not just trying to do stuff in a crazy way. I'm not saying it's required, though, if you have the drive to keep trying until it sorts itself out.
Surprise Attack!
Level 2

Postby Surprise Attack! » Sat 28 Dec, 2013 6:08 pm

Beuille wrote:Hey Suprise,

Awesome idea I too know the joys of being trapped in base after a couple of mins. I'll head over to steam and get you added. I'll also spread the word and if theres anything I can do to help let me know.

Hi Beuille, I added you on Steam! Let me know if you'd like a game sometime.

Lulgrim wrote:Then what you need from the replays is why this keeps happening and what to change so you can stop it. Having someone spectate you could also help.

Thanks for the tips, Lulgrim!

I think that is key. I mentioned in my last post my somewhat dreadfully low APM that is probably the result of a combination of factors. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are not having played RTS games much in general, not really knowing the hotkeys and mechanics to this game, indecision about what unit to purchase, forgetting to spend my resources while I'm fighting, and panicking.

A key difference between this game and CoH, I've realized, is that the initial 5 minutes of gameplay is much faster and more intense. In DoW2, I can't just cap and put down barbed wire.

One mistake I did notice myself making is actually going for the VP as one of the first points I cap along with power. I now always go for Power+Req, and then cap the VP later on with another unit.

I think that in general, for t1, I really need to work on two things: the first would be better micro at winning initial engagements, and the second would have to be knowing when to retreat to keep my little dudes alive. I watched a cast by Indrid recently where he talked about how it was so important to stay alive in DoW2 because of the leveling system as well as the resource denial factor. I'd always pin my commander on the enemy commander, but now I've learned to just trying to get as many squad wipes early on as possible.

Lulgrim wrote:Consider that "perfect practice makes perfect" so at this point it might be cost-effective to consult a decent player and see you're not just trying to do stuff in a crazy way. I'm not saying it's required, though, if you have the drive to keep trying until it sorts itself out.

I think that I have been trying to just play, which sometimes doesn't really pay off, as you noted. Perfect practice makes perfect, and just practicing can probably either not do anything for me, or even worse, reinforce bad habits in my gameplay. Fortunately, however, on the micro side of things, it has been paying off a bit, as I actually did win my first game yesterday, after 41 consecutive losses. I still made plenty of mistakes, and had it not been for my teammate, I would have been destroyed.

Even then, I still did basically make him lose the previous two games we played(we played 3 games, lost two, won the last). So, a big thanks to retroi for calling out problems with my gameplay, being a great team player, and being patient with me in general. Also thanks to the guys who played with us: lancer, venjitron, and Cygnus.

Thanks again for welcoming to your community and being patient and friendly, guys! I appreciate it. It's a lot easier to just call someone a noob, laugh about it, and move on.

Happy Holidays!
Attachments
4p_meridiancity.2013-12-28.03-21-39.rec
1st win!
(926.95 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
DarkGod
Level 1

Postby DarkGod » Sun 29 Dec, 2013 9:26 am

Hey man

Though I am not exactly a noob, I am worse than useless in 1v1 so I really need someone of a similar skill level to practice 1v1 with. Add me on Steam: silenthunter124. You will know its right if the profile name is Dark God.
ShowMeMagik
Level 2

Postby ShowMeMagik » Sun 29 Dec, 2013 11:34 am

Any one want to add me on steam for a game sometime its benheys7 or ShowMeMagik
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Sun 29 Dec, 2013 7:23 pm

Add me: kankrusha
Surprise Attack!
Level 2

Postby Surprise Attack! » Mon 30 Dec, 2013 11:13 pm

Added!
SirSid
Level 2

Postby SirSid » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 12:09 pm

Try Path of Exile

http://www.pathofexile.com/

A fantastic game that has Thousands of houres of game play very fun and interesting and many things to do / overcome. The true sucsessor to diablo 2

O and it's Free , they fucked up and made it free money made off bling for your dude no Pay 2 win aspects.

Basicaly a 10/10 smash hit game for me personaly.

Edit: P.s. ill give yha some leveling loot if u start playing it and want some
Faultron
Level 3

Postby Faultron » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 12:25 pm

for me path of exile is fail, i tried beta and steam as well, very dissapointed.
i loved diablo 2 but that game is nothing like diablo , dunno why pll saying it is ,diablo 3'
Farseer/Doombringer/Falcon/Mindwar IGN: Ypulse
SirSid
Level 2

Postby SirSid » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 1:07 pm

Faultron wrote:for me path of exile is fail, i tried beta and steam as well, very dissapointed.
i loved diablo 2 but that game is nothing like diablo , dunno why pll saying it is ,diablo 3'

Iv heard people saying this before and TBH i have no idea whare u are coming from. the game is a master peace in the ARPG.

It bascialy takes evreything that was good in diablo 1 and 2 and improves on it in evrey way , while still retaining all the things we love from our old click spam game that is diablo 1/2

However Faultron is not the only person who feel's this was so mabey thares something thare . Personaly i can't understand y this is and think they simply did not give the game the time needed to learn it's mechanics. It has some very interesting and not striaght foward mechanics that are hard for players to understand at first. Like sustaining a Map pool or snap shooting
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 6:20 pm

it's because PoE was not made by Blizzard... If blizzard had made PoE it would 1) sucked balls like diablo 3 but 2) had the upmost respect and adoration by EVERYONE because.. well i would be a blizzard game
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 6:36 pm

Right let's forget about the click-spam games for now, make a thread in the random shit forum if you want to discuss them.
Surprise Attack!
Level 2

Postby Surprise Attack! » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 10:39 pm

I laughed pretty hard at this... xD

Sorry about the confusion guys. I meant Hosting Dawn of War 2 games for people who are bad at this game, not other games for people who are bad at this game. If you had read my first post, you'd understand what I mean, but I see now that the title is also a bit misleading. My bad!
SirSid
Level 2

Postby SirSid » Thu 02 Jan, 2014 7:50 am

OOooooo haha

Well i did ready the OP however i still got the impresion that u wanted a diffrent game haha sorry about that.

I am not sure what time zone u are in however late night North America time zone we offten have L2P game rooms up.

We pit noobs against other they try to give them pointers after the match , or we have 2 better players fight and explain to the noobs what is going on and y .

It's ususaly lots of fun if u can make the time zone i would recomend it to a new player

Also just join the steam chat room when u get on your computer and stay in thare, this will give u the best chance at finding games with players of the same skill level as u.

Thare are actualy ALOT of new players recently , witch is awsome. I don't know about euro trash time zone but from what i hear it is much more populated than late night Amarican so u should be abelt to find some other players at your level

GL HF
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Thu 02 Jan, 2014 9:34 am

Central Europe evening has always been the prime time for Dawn of Luls although there was a time when it didn't matter...

Return to “Strategy Discussion”