Tyranid: How to team game?

Strategy and L2P topics.
Telos
Level 2

Tyranid: How to team game?

Postby Telos » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:50 am

I was recently in a team game that was quite embarrassing for me.

I don't often play great, but my SM and Chaos allies were carrying me hard and I felt like there wasn't much I could do to support them.

The situation was a Baneblade and LR parked at bottom VP with full army rosters supporting and chaos v orks pushing their natural.

I found that there just wasn't anything I could do against the two supers. I tried multiple VC fexes with Venom Warrior support (with synapse) support but couldn't put out enough damage to overcome their repair support. When I did start to get them down a bit the IG player would send in infantry to melee the fex while it got shot down.

I know nids are balanced for 1v1, but I'm wondering what could is most effective in this situation. I was playing the Lictor, so maybe I should've tried two squads of Genestealers with talons and get in at them from behind? Maybe pheromones to keep them in the fight? I tried multiple zoans, multiple venom brood, VC fex, and multiple formation nukes that took down the bunker spam a few times. But it wasn't really enough, it only went as long as it did because the chaos player did so well against the orks.

So what's the best way to support in this kind of situation? How do nids AV while also dealing with full rosters?
boss
Level 3

Re: Tyranid: How to team game?

Postby boss » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 10:31 am

First off tyranids are not that strong in 1v1s and it not just 3v3 where they have crap av, 1v1 it shows as well.

Next ig is already a freewin race vs tyranids as it is you only have one build order that somewhat works vs them and that 2 zoans.

Then vc fexs got nerfed hard now they only damage vehicles since all the splash got removed so good luck killing infantry and they not even the best av there is thanks torpid you retard for this.

Venom brood are garbage for av and always have been but since tyranids lost there only long range snare on zoans, you can now just troll them for this since venom brood needed the snare for them to do any real damage in time again thx torpid for this.

Hopeing for genestealers to kill tanks is not going to work, melee av not great as it is only do 50% of the damage to vehicle and in team games melee units end up first as of target practice and well gens will just bleed you they are not that great no more.

Tbh if you end up in this situation there not much you can do, you want vc fexs for lemans but then how you get rid of the gm repairing it cos they can't do it at all so you are left with zoans or bs fexs but then you won't have much av as more lemans come shitting out or worse banblade. So you end up needing more vc fexs but have to somehow force off the repair support but you can't do both so you lose.

But like I say thank torpid for this he's when he was lead balance who got tyranids in this spot got rid of the only long snare tyranids had, nerf vc fexs and cos all of this you can abuse vehicles and there not much you can do about it.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 8:42 pm

Neurothrope is a good choice in team games in general due to its AoE attacks IMO, and is great for support in any engagement. What you need to do is force off the gm squads so they can't repair anything, which neuro and zoan are good at. If he's constantly reinforcing them, keep picking away at them from range and sooner or later he'll have to come to you. Going at IG in a defensive position is always going to be tough.

As far as pushing at more than one team, don't try it unless you get friendly support or have a massive advantage. Hopefully your teammates aren't being potatoes and are either capping the other side of the map or pushing with you. If you are occupying more than one team, especially more than one super unit, you're already doing a good job.

Nids have some of the worst AV, so don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole. If it comes to a team fight, see what you can do about getting rid of the infantry that support those vehicles, sniping/nullifying heroes, forcing off melee squads, tying up setup teams, etc. Let your teammates know you need AV help, and protect their AV teams. That sorta stuff.

In general, play to your strengths, not the enemy's. Team games are especially good for this because you don't always have to directly counter what the guy opposite you has, you just have to be part of the solution
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 3:28 am

It seems really disheartening to have to rely on your team to know the answer if you're the Nids...

Another question, how do nids deal with turret spam... In T1 they deal 0 dmg to structures and all he has to do is park come melee units in the turrets and even if my gants get in, they won't be able to win. T2 rolls around and they already have AV for the tyrant guard and turrets out range venom brood...
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:22 pm

Zoans deal with turrets in t2 but yea turrets are yet another thing tyranids have a hard time dealing with you just have to flank and pray it works in t1.

Neurothrope overkill for gm killing, zoans are better cos of av damage it has and cos will heal your fexs zeuro can't but vanquisher Cannon lemans have more range than zoans and a lot of damage and since its a no brainer upgrade yea.
Great tyranid av they have.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 2:44 am

Thanks Boss, maybe I'll break from nids in team games until the new patch and give Elves a try
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 4:26 pm

Dealing with BB and LR plus full support is a tall order for all races except maybe Eldar with a nuke.

As Nids you can always support your team by focussing on the support rather than the vehicles themselves. Ripper spam to deal with set up teams is always helpful.
Sex - Murder - Art
Level 2

Postby Sex - Murder - Art » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:34 am

As Hiveminion stated, that is a tall thing to ask. Other races would be crap against this as well. The best thing would be : Taking all the fire with a fast tanky Swarmlord and let your team mates push against this blob with nukes and stuff. But still, this is not special problem for nids.

Another idea would be focusing somewhere else on the map (eg : their other own victory point), forcing the enemy to be divided, making that bottom vp much easier to push against. Hell, even camp around that victory point, make them bring their super heavies, wasting their time and effort.

Small tip : Use T3 Lictor to be annoying. You can keep capping that natural victory point, and still support bottom vp at the same time. Remember, you need vps to win. You can still win with capping their natural vp, or just to stop your vp bleed and gain a lot of time to win. T3 Lictor is very hard to deal with. It has passive infiltration so doesn't need too much micro. And it needs more than one squad to force him off from the natural vp.
There are many ways to say the right thing, and I choose the worst way to say it.
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 3:55 am

Thanks for the input guys.

It's not that I would expect it to not be a problem for nids. Double supers would be trouble for any race, but it seems that nids don't really have any counter for them. If he had a single baneblade by itself there then I could pressure it but it seems unlikely I would've had any more success against it with the support it had and what I was throwing against it (basically all the AV that nids has access to).

I hope that the next patch at least gives nids reasonable enough AV options that one wouldn't have to depend completely on their teammates to be able to push off supers.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”