Fire dragons

Strategy and L2P topics.
Thibix Magnus
Level 2

Fire dragons

Postby Thibix Magnus » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 1:12 pm

I really struggle to see when to use them, either in 1v1 or teams. On paper they are still really scary but they fall so fast I always feel it's a gamble. So when do people buy them, against what? Walkers, tanks? Are warp spiders mandatory to make them work? Is it a question of the opponent composition, if they already have jump troops or tons of kb disruption?

The only time I see them put to good effect is in 3v3, very late game, with 2-3 squads and heavy use of hero wargear for a fast flank to take down a super unit before retaliation, but it heavily relies on team mates drawing fire.
Nurland

Re: Fire dragons

Postby Nurland » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 1:21 pm

FD are a gimmicky unit and as they are now, very tough to balance. Either they are kinda meh or easily OP.

They are decent against melee walkers like TG and BC but yeah. Eldar roster can handle most situations easily without them imho.
#noobcodex
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 9:36 am

They're a noob unit for a-moving. Quite good with heart of darkness and guide but... As Nurland said eldar don't need them. They leave you subject to a lot of potential bleed and are very vulnerable to melee and vs a good player you will never kill a transport with them.

The only time they are optimal at high level is vs melee vehicle spam. Something like 3 BCs or something.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Thibix Magnus
Level 2

Postby Thibix Magnus » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 5:35 pm

thanks! Well, instead of popping a new thread, if I may ask:

I think after all this time I still somewhat struggle with my eldar AV. Notably against melee dreadnoughts it seems. I guess it's very dependent on current compositions, but what is the appropriate investment? Should it always come to transitional brightlance + warp spiders? Maybe Eldar have lots of "supplemental" AV but there is no single solution like a lascannon that does everything, so I guess I often struggle with doing the right purchase.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 9:06 pm

Brightlance should be enough for melee dreads tbh no snare but more dps than a lasscanon so long the brightlance not in a crap place for it, anything else should just help with its kill.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 2:32 am

Remember that playing Eldar means you must only pick the fights you'll win and avoid other confrontations. A brightlance does indeed decent dps and should be enough to deter a melee dread from rushing towards you. Every hero has a way to support it for higher dps if needed. And if you're FS it's a dead walker.

About fire dragons: as every all melta unit they're op on paper. You can buy them against SM for a surprise razorbak kill. Then they'll do alright against hi and heroes.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 1:39 am

Any chance of giving them melta bombs and/or fleet while removing their gimicky dragon scale armor and dragon's fury? Maybe in combination with the exarch. Or go bit crazy and give him a heavy flamer.

With that they could go in for the kill (and not much more because fleet reduces their damage) or go in for the disablement of a vehicle.

Just some ideas thrown in.

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 9:50 am

Schepp himself wrote:Any chance of giving them melta bombs and/or fleet while removing their gimicky dragon scale armor and dragon's fury? Maybe in combination with the exarch. Or go bit crazy and give him a heavy flamer.

With that they could go in for the kill (and not much more because fleet reduces their damage) or go in for the disablement of a vehicle.

Just some ideas thrown in.

Greets
Schepp himself

Funny thing is I already ask for this to rework them with these ideas but knowing adila he prob just do something retarded instead.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”