Is it me or SM seem nuts at the moment?

Strategy and L2P topics.
Hutsy
Level 2

Is it me or SM seem nuts at the moment?

Postby Hutsy » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 5:29 pm

OK - so for some reason, an SM player going for many Tacs just seem to destroy me.

I dunno if it's a play style that I've recently noticed and I just have no skill to handle it or what?

As usual I'm OM and I'm stuck for ideas. Struggling to get to T2 due to being pushed back and bashed all the time, so can't get plasma IST, Psy Bolt SS only do so much as I seem to be getting overrun so I'm struggling big time here.

I don't believe SM really had any changes at all in 2.8 / 2.8.1 so not sure why this is suddenly happening.
Atlas

Re: Is it me or SM seem nuts at the moment?

Postby Atlas » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 6:39 pm

It's just a meta change brought from the 3v3 tournament. We haven't buffed or nerfed tacs in 2.8 so it was there before and no one really used it.
Hutsy
Level 2

Postby Hutsy » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 6:52 pm

Need to scratch my head on this one some more then!
Antandron
Level 2

Postby Antandron » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 7:30 pm

The Koreans have opened our minds.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 7:32 pm

Only Apo can maintain a Tac blob and Tac blobs get countered by Smite. Use Smite.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 7:45 pm

OM is not a very compatible race tbh and judging other races by OM standards is not a very good idea, but;
if you wanna counter tac blobs u can get AOE or get powerful melee and supression squads as well;

in case of countering sm blobs by OM, a good build would be: 2x IST (for dps downing things like fc), 1x SS melee (countering SM) ,1x purg (for supression and T2 light av option)
in case of t2 as i said aoe/melee suads is good so u can either PlamaDread or u can get superior melee with purifiers and libby (Also purifiers and libby has aoe abilities) if you see dread or razor melta dread is a good option vs sm melee dread and Purg are almost always useful since they are anti-infintry with soft av
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 7:59 pm

You should be fine against tac blobs.
Get the power sword on the BC and give him the halo.
Run into melee with your strike squads.
You should destroy tac builds like that :)
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 8:16 pm

speaking of brother captain sword it is good in case there are both asm and devs (double edged sword) since the speed boost help catching up to devs and it is a power sword which makes it good vs asm and also shield makes it tanky
but also there is a very good option of getting halberd in t2 tac blobs dont like that splash at all if u can get ur bc there among them
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Hutsy
Level 2

Postby Hutsy » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 9:03 pm

Cheers chaps!

Very good thoughts. This is the kinda thinking I still lack. I sit there trying to work it out and I still get lost haha.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 12:14 am

Dread with plasma cannon is a good t2 purchase :)
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 6:09 am

it depends though, if there are tac blobs yes it is, vs razor or sm dread melta dread would be better , also there is the option of GK melee dread which gives the melee GK dread about the same amound of hp as ven dread can go toe to toe vs fc/asm and sm dread
Yabbaman
Level 2

Postby Yabbaman » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 8:46 am

Crewfinity wrote:Dread with plasma cannon is a good t2 purchase :)

It seems that the OP is more concerned about T1 and how one survives to earn that 245 energy against SM tactical spam. Strike squad doesn't scale well against heavy infantry even with upgrades and IST need lots of upgrades to be effective against tacs and only then at T2. But, yes, I agree that it's a faction design issue with the OM.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:15 am

Never found GK T1 to be super hard vs SM at least in team games. T2 is the problem with plasma ripping you apart. This is for me at least.
#noobcodex
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 4:42 pm

Atlas wrote:It's just a meta change brought from the 3v3 tournament. We haven't buffed or nerfed tacs in 2.8 so it was there before and no one really used it.

I think its natural counters like suppression teams have been soft nerfed through the suppression in cover modifier, making it more viable.

Things like the DA buffs have made ASMs worse at chasing DAs too, which makes me think that it might be better trying to outshoot them instead.
Playing truth or dare with Diomedes: You dare? YOU DARE?!
Tinder with Diomedes: THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?!
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 7:35 pm

Which yeah, suppression changes, da buffs and the like were not really a 2.8 thing.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 8:09 pm

i mean, sm have been getting almost straight buffs for a while now. they definitely needed something more from retail, but perhaps it has gone too far?

Tacs have gotten cheaper and stronger, and so have their upgrades. Scouts have gotten a pretty big buff in the form of their infiltration that also makes them regen health like crazy. Asm and their upgrades are cheaper. Devs have melee resist with a cheaper vengence upgrade that also has been buffed. And that's just in t1, without counting heroes or globals.
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 8:31 am

Atlas wrote:Which yeah, suppression changes, da buffs and the like were not really a 2.8 thing.

Yep, I just think it takes a while for people to realise its potential.
Playing truth or dare with Diomedes: You dare? YOU DARE?!
Tinder with Diomedes: THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?!

Return to “Strategy Discussion”