What to get when as IG

Strategy and L2P topics.
Woodenplank
Level 1

What to get when as IG

Postby Woodenplank » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 11:59 am

I've been playing a lot of IG recently, and though I've dabbled in LG/Inquisitor, I mostly play Commissar Lord.
So, in all my hubris, I'll try to do a write-up of my experience/advice for unit counters and specialities. I'm not sure if this is a guide or questions - I'm certainly NOT the best suited to write a guide (my Steam-tag is currently "Nooblord James"), but we could always use more "newb resources" for Elite, so here goes...

I tend to go for a very power-light T1 as Imperial Guard. This is (probably) due to playing 3v3, as you'll typically need to invest more in 1v1, or you'll find yourself getting power-bashed and out tech'd towards T2 (probably).

Tier 1
I typically go double Guardsmen (that's including your starting squad) and a Sentinel, making sure to get Sergeants up for both Guardsmen. After this it varies from game to game how much power you spend in T1. A popular strategy with IG is to invest minimal power in T1 (such as only getting Ground Pound for Sentinel, and perhaps a piece of Wargear) and rushing T2 to get a Chimera up.

The Sentinel (300) - is uniquely useful - let it soak damage while your Guardsmen spam repairs, and just let the multilaser poke away at enemies.
Getting the Groundpound (50/15) upgrade greatly increases the usefulness of your Sentinel. It can both counter-initiate an early melee charge (ork sluggas, charging heretics, Force Commander, Banshees, etc.) but can also mess up an enemy ranged team - this leaves your Sentinel somewhat vulnerable as it closes the gap though, so be careful (tripple Dire Avengers can actually focus it down before it comes into stomp range).

Guardsmen (210) - I always get Sergeants (85) up to help them trade more efficiently (enemy should spend more Req on reinforcements than me), and recover from the Commissar's "lectures on morale". But I rarely get Flamers... Which might be a mistake. I hate not being able to branch out to Plasma Guns come T2, and I feel you can bash power decently well with dedicated lasgun fire and a few executions.

Catachans (350/40) - Undoubtedly one of the most useful T1 units in the game. They're also expensive though . I typically get these if I struggle against melee (especially jump troops), because Shotgun blast + their power melee will make short work of Raptors and Assault Marines alike.
They're also great because aside from countering jump troops, they also counter setup teams with grenade-disruption and smoke screens. They are a heavy investment though, so I rarely buy them - prefering to get T2 earlier.

Spotters (280/30) - Get these against ranged blobs and setup teams. Having two separate-cooldown abilities that both fuck up setup teams or blobs of DAs/shooters is awesome. They also don't tend to "bleed" as much as catachans, because you can keep them waaay back.
I typically end up forgetting to use them come T2 though... Which is a fault on my part. How does everyone else utilize them after T1??

Heavy Weapons Team (250/30) - I rarely use these guys. Advice? Help?
The IG setup team is typically seen as one of the weaker; they lack the mobility of Shurikens, and do not have as impressive damage as, say, Chaos Havocs. Come T2 they can be greatly improved with upgrades though, and the supressive Heavy Bolter always has its uses - though I personally find that Spotters and Catachans are better options in T1.

Commissar Wargear
Power Sword (120/25) - I typically only get this against Space Marines/CSM, as it rips through Power Armor, as I find that the LC cannot stand up to dedicated melee squads any way (Banshees and upgraded Sluggas will still beat him) --- how do y'all use it? I think I might not give it enough credit.
Carapace Armor (100/25) - To be honest, I never use the suppression breaking effect. If I'm facing setup teams I feel forced to get Catas or Spotters up any way. But the cooldown and energy cost reduction is nice, and it allows you to keep up the 100% damage buff on both Guardsmen squads.
Aura of Discipline 110/20 - I never get this T1. If at all, I only get it to support Ogryns T2.

Lord General Wargear
Grenade Launchers (90/20) - While they don't have a disruption effect like other 'nade launchers, they do provide a solid DPS increase to your Lord General, and are effective against blobs of infantry (enemy Guardsmen, Heretics, Shootas, etc.). The Move! Move! Move! ability also lets your army get out of sticky situations, or can be used offensively (especially with melee Catachans, or T2 Ogryns).
Carapace Armor (150/30) - The Stand Firm ability gives all nearby infantry Supression Immunity. Useful for surviving a Raptor Jump (and letting your unsupressed Catachans chop them up), or brute forcing an enemy setup team. Read also note on Ogryns in T2....
Flak Jacket (125/30) - Grands the Incoming! Ability, which grants knockback immunity and 30% ranged damage resistance to nearby infantry. An amazing ability that'll let you win shootouts, or shrug off otherwisely devastaing disruption, such as Heretic Grenade Barrages, or enemy Catachans.
Add Medical Sergeant (85/10) - If you're gonna spend power on something besides Sentinel Ground Pound in T1, get this guy. The Medical Packs (one use, restore 100 HP to all models in a squad) is incredibly useful, as IG typically has high model counts (that's upwards of 1200 healing for a fully upgraded Guardsmen squad, or up to 5-600 for T1 Catachans). It'll grant your Guardsmen an edge in shootouts, or let your Catachans surprise enemy melee combatants in a brawl.

Tier 2
Ogryns (425/90) - I rarely get them. I feel they're too expensive, and lose out to other T2 melee squads (who often have Power Melee damage, Ogryns' big vulnerability). This is probably just mismangement on my part though. It also sucks that, unlike all other Guard units, the Bone 'Ead leader is not a die-last leader... And somehow I always accidentally target the leader if I use LC's execute on them... Another issue is that, while Inspire Determination (see Bionic Eye) grants tremendous buffs, it also costs a model... and Ogryns do not have as many to spare as Guardsmen.
Note that Ogryns buffed by Move! Move! Move!'s 30% movement speed, and Carapace Armor's Supression Immunity will be almost impossible to stop as they charge enemies, allowing you to effectively engage setup teams (Ogryns shrug off piercing damage), shoota blobs, or almost anything, really.

Stormtroopers (400) - Pretty solid choice. They don't even cost power (which means they're also a nice recovery unit, if you're reeling from power bashing).
I rarely get the Assault Kit (Removes weapon cooldown, buffs range by 20%). In my experience; buying Assault Kit magically makes your enemy go for vehicles... and you find yourself without access to melta guns. If you do get it though, they can turn light infantry (Dire Avengers, Shooters, other guardsmen, etc.) into fucking mush. Combo'ing Assault Kit troopers with the Lord General's Fire on my Target! allows your troopers to comfortably out-range most units in the game.
Anti-armor Kit (75/15) is generally what I get. Throw a melta bomb, execute a trooper for 100% bonus damage and watch T2 vehicles melt.

Heavy Weapons Team Upgrades - the T2 upgrades for your setup team help turn an otherwisely unimpressive unit into a potent weapon. The Force Field makes them immune to knockback while setup (so your enemy can only 'dislodge' them by engaging in melee), and the Auto-cannon upgrade makes for decent DPS against all targets.
The lascannon (75) is probably the most notable upgrade, turning the setup team into a very strong, dedicated anti-vehicle platform. Buffing them with a Comissars +100% damage from execution allows them to make quick work of most any T2 vehicle, and a Lord General's Fire on my Target! turns their already impressive range into an insane span. If you get these, you probably won't need any other AV, and can safely get Assault kit Storm Troopers

Chimera (300/60) - Very useful support vehicle. Lets your guardsmen reinforce in the field. I often lose it though; because they really cannot stand up to AV very long (only 500 HP, and lots of rear armor). It's also the only real vehicle option for IG before T3 (Sentinel has Heavy_infantry armor, and Manticores aren't frontliners), so if you get T2 much earlier than your opponent this is generally the thing to get.
I've started keeping it parked in the retreat path of units. Let your Guardsmen fight until they're low; hit retreat, and then break it with Commissars once they're back at the Chimera, and send them forward again.

Manticore (300/75) - Can be devastating against an enemy relying on ranged blob and/or setup teams. Gotta be really careful where you park it... It only takes a few seconds of not paying attention and some sneaky enemy could have killed it (T3 Kommandos or Kommando Nob with rokkit launchas are especially hazardous).

Guardsmen upgrades - I always get 2 x Commissars for my Guardsmen. Makes them even more combat efficient, and lets you break retreat (which is useful along with Chimera, as mentioned).
Plasma guns also help you take out Space Marines and the like - and even remain useful into late game when you meet Terminators/Nobs.

If your Sentinel is still alive (I typically lose mine in T1...), getting missile upgrade + Catachan Sergeant + Commissar Power Claw actually lets you deal with most enemy vehicles T2, without having to buy dedicated AV (such as melta-stormtroopers).

Commissar Wargear
Bionic Eye (150/35) - Inspire determination is pretty awesome. +3.5 speed, +100% damage, break suppression, and fully heal a squad. The passive +50 energy is also nice. But to be honest I only get it with Ogryns, and prefer to just stick with Catapace Armor and regular old execute. If you DO get Ogryns though, this is awesome when combined with Aura of Discipline.
Stubbornness 150/35 - Pretty useful for keeping him in the field. Combined with Power Claw, he can actually go toe-to-toe with dreadnoughts for a while.
Power Claw (130/40) - See above note on Sentinels.
Flak Jacket (150/30) - While I tend to prefer the other options, the ability to execute an enemy (read: deal 150 damage) and demoralize the squad can be quite helpful. If you're especially careful, you can choose enemy leaders to weapon-carrier in setup-teams (finish off Aspiring Champions/Sergeants, force Havocs or Noise Marines to re-setup with a different model, etc.) It's also worth noting that it will almost one-shot a Zoanthrope (who are technically infantry), which will at least force a retreat.

Lord General Wargear
Sniper Rifle (90/30) - The bursts of Piercing Damage are nice, sure. But the real gem here is the Fire on my Target! ability, increasing the range of all nearby infantry by 30%. This allows Assault Kit Troopers, Heavy Weapons Teams and the like to reach insane range, allowing you to strip away enemy models long before they get close enough to fight you.
Melta Guns (100/25) - A soft AV option, that generally won't be enough to take down a vehicle on its own (you'll typically want something else alongside it), but every little bit helps. The Fight Harder! ability also gives a marked DPS increase to your army, for a short period of time.
Add a Comissar (75/10) - This guy greatly increases the survivability of the Lord General squad with his 50% (!) ranged damage reduction shield. The shield has a relatively small range, but you can squeeze a guardsman squad or two into it, if you stack closely.
Add a Vox Operator (100/20) - I'm not too sure about this guy; being able to reinforce all nearby squads for 150 in the middle of combat is nice; but reinforcing is generally so damn cheap. By the time you get T3, all your Guardsmen squads will typically have both Comissars and Sergeants, meaning a single Guardsman model only costs, on average, 5.33, so using the Call Reinforcements is typically only worth it if you have multiple missing Ogryns, Catachans, etc. and now other access to a reinforcement point (like a bunker or Chimera)
Stabilisers (125/30) - Allows you to do an AoE heal over time on nearby infantry. I've practically never tried purchasing this. I find the other Armor options are generally better.

Tier 3
Please do not use your Baneblade like an Avatar or Great Unclean One. There seems to be some misconception that this "super tank" is invincible. But a Baneblade only has roughly 2x the health of a Leman Russ, while being much, much slower and much, much larger - which makes them harder to maneuver, and thus easier to hit.
The Baneblade has a place as a powerhouse/firebase in stalemates (particularly 3v3s, sitting on the contested VP in Estia Province, for instance). But their vulnerability to rear armor hit and their huge, cumbersome size makes them easy targets for flanking maneuvers. The Baneblade has a tremendous damage output, but it needs the proper backup. Get a repair bunker, guardsmen, troopers, catachans and/or a heavy weapon team to deter enemy from getting close - and then weep with joy as this rolling fotress reduces enemy armies to paste.

Leman Russ (575/135) - Can't go wrong with this, really. Note that, while the Vanquisher cannon upgrade is marketed as anti-vehicle, it's generally useful because of the range and accuracy increase; allowing your Leman Russ to stay at a safer distance. The Executioner upgrade has tremendous damage potential, but is more precarious to use because of its shorter range.

Kasrkins (450/30) - Very useful. Can even sneak caps pretty fast with their movement speed and extra-capping-speed. Plasma Guns and 'nade launchers are both useful in their own way. They're one of the best options IG has against Nobs/Termies in my opinion.

Commissar Wargear
Emperor's Wrath (200/50) - If something stands still long enough for you to line up this attack, it'll lay waste to pretty much anything. (Havocs, D-cannons, etc. are especially vulnerable).
Fist of Brockus (200/50) Same DPS and damage type as the power claw, but the real strength comes from the "None Shall Fall" ability, which can actually save your Guardsmen/Trooper/Kasrkin blob from enemy nukes (and everything else, provided the Commissar stays alive).

Global Abilities (Shared)
Imperial Guard Bunker (100/75) - A uniquely useful ability among globals. They typically come into play in lategame 3v3 stalemates, but are generally always useful. When upgraded to a Medical Bunker they provide healing and a sturdy reinforcement point, and when upgraded to a repair bunker they will automatically heal nearby vehicles. Put one behind your Baneblade and roleplay as you hold the line against all odds.
-- Noob tip: Booby trap it and laugh maniacally when you vaporize an entire enemy squad who tried to steal your bunker.
Rocket Run (500) - (shared by all Imperial Guard leaders) One of the more unique 'nukes' in the game. You have to target two separate strafing lines (in somewhat close proximity). It does considerable knockback, so when properly targeted you can knock a bunch of enemies from the first hit into the next.
Deals virtually no damage to vehicles (compared to an Eldritch Storm or Roks) but can devastate infantry. Ironically it is best against other Guardsmen, as even fully upgraded Guardsmen squads will tend to wipe under the bombing.

Global Abilities - Lord Comissar
Off-map Basilisk Flare (75) - A useful and relatively cheap ability. It's unique in that it can target in the Fog of War (it provides vision, rather than requiring it). It greatly reduces the range of enemy weapons within its area, making it useful for approaching setup teams (especially things like D-cannons or Plasma cannon devastators, who will typically outrange everything else).
Loyal to the End (125) - Affects a small area (radius = 5) for 12 seconds. When your own units within the area die, nearby infantry gain +25% max health, and +20% damage. This can provide a surprising staying power for a couple of Guardsmen squads (with their high model count), but don't be fooled - they're still fragile, and you shouldn't pop down this ability unless you're readily reinforcing them (with a nearby Chimera or Medical Bunker, or a simillar allied vehicle). Keep in mind that the damage bonus can be quite valuable if you have something like Ogryns or a Heavy Weapons Squad mixed in with the dying Guardsmen.
Air-dropped Mines (150) - Drops in a long line of mines that will explode when enemies step over them. They knock back and slow on impact, meaning that they can severely inhibit enemy assaults. However, they are easy to counter (the mines won't even detonate when spotted by detector units) and the damage isn't very impressive. I find that most often, you're better off spending your Global Resource on the Comissar's other options.

Global Abilities - Lord General
Basilisk Creeping Barrage (175) After a brief delay, a wave of 7 artillery shells starts 'creeping' in the indicated path. This ability offers amazing knockback, and can disrupt an entire enemy army for a long time (as the knock back typically knocks units into the path of the next shell). This will easily turn the tide in a firefight (letting your guardsmen shoot away while enemies are being knocked around, or running around to avoid said knockback), or deter an incoming melee charge.
Heavy Turret (300/40/75) Drops a leman russ-style cannon turret at a target location. If you get T2 early, this can really mess up your enemy, since the turret has Vehicle Armor, and typically needs dedicated AV to take down. Be mindful that it is a turret though, and any dedicated AV, such as lascannons or tankbustas, will assuredly take it down (as you can retreat it like a normal vehicle), and you'll find yourself having spent a lot of resources.
Valkyrie Leman Russ Drop (500/50/200) Spend Red), save power and requisition. And time! As you skip the production timer, and also drop the Leman Russ straight onto the battlefield. Using this global is a solid choice, even if you're not in a hurry. A quick T3 with a Valkyrie dropped Leman Russ can really surprise your enemy, and net you a great advantage. Just be careful not to drop it into heavy enemy AV.

Please give suggestions, critisism (flaming), and such, and I'll keep updating this guide. Hopefully players new to IG might find it useful one day -- And I could certainly use advice, myself

Edit1: Fixed price tags on some of the wargear, and added to other units/upgrades.
Edit2: Added some advice on Flak Jacket (enemy-execute) from Toilalaee, and changed Sentinel description. Also removed a bit of the text on Catachans.
Edit3: Rewrote bit about Baneblades
Edit4: Wrote bit about Rocket Run, and added in the price tags on Guardsmen and Sentinel.
Edit5: Wrote a bit on Air-Drop Mines
Edit6: Added bit on Loyal to the End
Edit7: Added section on Lord General. Still never played enough Inquisitor to say much about her though.
Last edited by Woodenplank on Sun 29 Sep, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Torpid

Re: What to get when as IG

Postby Torpid » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 4:41 pm

Overal decent outline.

You forgot to mention globals though. Also, you say IG, but it seems you only play Lord Commy ;)

Annnnd finally, did you forget about the heavy weapon team unit?
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Woodenplank
Level 1

Postby Woodenplank » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 5:37 pm

Torpid wrote:You forgot to mention globals though. Also, you say IG, but it seems you only play Lord Commy ;)

Pretty much yeah. I had a period of using LG a lot, but I found myself missing the melee tie-up force.

Torpid wrote:Annnnd finally, did you forget about the heavy weapon team unit?

I did. Which is fitting, because I usually forget about them during regular play as well.
This is the part where I could really use some help - I never get them, when does everyone else? How do you utilize your Heavy Weapon Squads?
xXKageAsashinXx
Level 2

Postby xXKageAsashinXx » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 10:36 pm

Woodenplank wrote:Please do not build Baneblades.

Single most damaging super unit in the game. Everyone suggests not getting it or treating it like an overweight baby.

Hmm, wonder what this could mean...
So... I hear you refuse to repent.
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 10:58 pm

I get ground pound as my first upgrade in pretty much every game in every game mode. You get most of the mileage out of it very early on when it's great against any composition, but after people hit T2 it falls off heavily. But you if you keep your sent alive and play conservatively with it you can still utilize the stomp for counter initiation and to deal with possible T2 melee spam.

I only ever get catachans when I feel like "I'm forced into it" and then I usually lose the game. The overall consensus of the community seems to go against this though and people use them all the time. But either way I don't think they're "mandatory" in any match up.

Spotters can still continue doing their job in T2... Which is to deal with setup teams and ranged blobs, or at least hinder them. The main difference is that you get more tools to deal with both of them in T2 so you might start to overlook your spotters?

Commissar armor for executing enemies is good for sniping off squad leaders and the heavy weapon models in set up teams to force them to resetup. Also can be used to snipe the last model in a retreating squad?
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Woodenplank
Level 1

Postby Woodenplank » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 11:02 pm

xXKageAsashinXx wrote:
Woodenplank wrote:Please do not build Baneblades.

Single most damaging super unit in the game. Everyone suggests not getting it or treating it like an overweight baby.

Hmm, wonder what this could mean...

I bet it means eldar need a nerf.

@Toilailee
Thanks for the input, I'll edit in above. It's called Flak Jacket btw (looked it up).
Last edited by Woodenplank on Sat 07 Jul, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 07 Jul, 2018 1:24 am

I mean when I use the baneblade it wins me games right there and then. But I don't just charge it forward unsupporting like a moron. In fact it is never my front-line vehicle because it;s sight is way less than its gun's range so why do that? Have HWTs, guardsmen (with chimera or bunkers to reinforce) or infiltrated stormtroopers be the front line, have the BB behind it and have catachans guarding it to kb enemy melee or AV and not much can push that kinda thing off. Way easier vs a leman since its dps output is just so much lower you can overwhelm its support and isolate it where it can't do much.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Woodenplank
Level 1

Postby Woodenplank » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:31 am

How does everyone make use of Mines? I feel like I can write a bit on Rocket Run, as it's fairly simple.
But Air-Dropped Mines and Loyal to the End (which I rarely even see other people use!) are more specific. Halp. Please.
Ayy Eye
Level 2

Postby Ayy Eye » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:03 pm

Woodenplank wrote:How does everyone make use of Mines? I feel like I can write a bit on Rocket Run, as it's fairly simple.
But Air-Dropped Mines and Loyal to the End (which I rarely even see other people use!) are more specific. Halp. Please.

How to mines:
1) drop mines
2) wait for opponent to be on top of mines
3) mines will blow up (unless opponent has detection, in which case you can blow up your own mines with catas nade and shit)
She/Her gamergirl
Woodenplank
Level 1

Postby Woodenplank » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:15 pm

Ayy Eye wrote:
Woodenplank wrote:How does everyone make use of Mines? I feel like I can write a bit on Rocket Run, as it's fairly simple.

How to mines:
1) drop mines
2) wait for opponent to be on top of mines
3) mines will blow up (unless opponent has detection, in which case you can blow up your own mines with catas nade and shit)

That's funny.
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:07 pm

that's literally how you use mines
do you need to be told that if you wanna detonate them with catas you should probably drop them on your enemies? stop overcomplicating shit you play ig in 3v3s, everything is viable just buy it when you think it's gonna work and if it doesn't work then next time you wont do it xd
Woodenplank
Level 1

Postby Woodenplank » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:15 pm

PianoMan wrote:that's literally how you use mines
do you need to be told that if you wanna detonate them with catas you should probably drop them on your enemies? stop overcomplicating shit you play ig in 3v3s, everything is viable just buy it when you think it's gonna work and if it doesn't work then next time you wont do it xd

I meant *where* people typically drop them. I could also describe Sorcerer's 'Warp' as
Click a unit
It teleports to the Sorcerer
Done

But if that's all we do, then there's no reason to ever write anything on the forums, as in-game tooltips should theoretically be all you need.

It's more useful to write (for example):
Warp teleports a unit to the Sorcerer. Useful for getting a surprise (pre-setup) Havoc squad into position to surprise enemy vehicles; to bring a dangerous unit like Dreadnought or a Great Unclean One straight into enemy lines (by teleporting Sorcerer close to enemies first), or bailing an exposed unit out of trouble - like a mad Khornate Dreadnought going ballistic until it's at 10% Hp, and then warping it out in the last second.
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:22 pm

you drop them where you need the extra damage to be dealt or in the path of a vehicle that's literally how simple it is.

decent example would be a ranged nid blob, they're high model so it does even more damage to them, you drop mines and then use cata bomb ability and that's it xd
Woodenplank
Level 1

Postby Woodenplank » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 2:09 pm

PianoMan wrote:you drop them where you need the extra damage to be dealt or in the path of a vehicle that's literally how simple it is.

decent example would be a ranged nid blob, they're high model so it does even more damage to them, you drop mines and then use cata bomb ability and that's it xd

Thank you. That's all I wanted :)
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 3:23 pm

Use loyal to the end when you're spam reinforcing guardsmen from a chimera or a medical bunker and their damage boost will rack up fast.
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Codex

Postby Codex » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 5:40 pm

Loyal to the end is a stronk ability.
Righteousness does not make right
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:55 am

Codex wrote:Loyal to the end is a stronk ability.

Holy shit, blast from the past...

i miss your casting :P
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:29 pm

Casting games is a stronk ability
#noobcodex

Return to “Strategy Discussion”