Double Tics or Double CSM

Strategy and L2P topics.
Woodenplank
Level 1

Double Tics or Double CSM

Postby Woodenplank » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi, total nooblord here.

I usually play IG (lord General), but have been trying to improve my Chaos play.
I use Plague Champion - because he's supposed to be easier, and because he's the most similar to the LG.

My question is; when to go double heretics, or when to go double CSM? Pros and cons?
I feel like double heretics makes me lose a lot of units, very early.
Whereas going CSM is both more expensive (meaning you have to delay buying gens). But I often don't know what to do with them post T2, but heretics remain useful for worship/repair/shrines/etc.

Thanks for reading!
PianoMan
Level 3

Re: Double Tics or Double CSM

Postby PianoMan » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 1:16 pm

1 tic 1 csm raptors and havocs works well especially at your level, double csm is usually dogshit xd
stop limiting yourself to 2 tics or 2 csm
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 5:18 pm

I agree with Piano you're restricting yourself too much, there are 5 openers concerning CSM/tics in dow2:

2 tic, 1 csm
2 csm, 1 tic
3 tic, 1 csm
1 tic, 1 csm
4 tic, 0 csm

The last one I wouldn't recommend to new players :P

But with CSM upkeep being pretty substantially increased next patch for whatever reason, I don't recommend getting used to 2x CSM builds as they will be mostly useless, especially in 1v1.

If multiple heretics seem to be causing you more bleed than they are extra capping power and early presssure try 1 tic, 1 csm and rush a havoc to keep the enemy at bay, then you are free to go into either raptors or noise marines, both a fair choice.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 6:56 pm

As pc you can just go 2 tics and 2 csm tbh it works well with him since you get good range damage from 2 csm and pc get eternal war for your csm so they get do better, then you can upgrade your tics to nade for setup teams counters or melee for jump troops while you still have 2 csm and another tic and a pc too which can deal with melee.
It's a rec heavy build but it don't need much power for it to do well
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Woodenplank
Level 1

Postby Woodenplank » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:42 pm

I wasn't limited myself to "2 tics+CSM or 2CSM+tics" because I thought they were the only option - I suggested those because I feel that Tics+CSM --> Power unit leaves me with too little early field presence (before you hit 30 power), and I feel like I'm giving away early game to my opponent.

But in any case - thanks a lot for all the replies; I suppose I'll start working with Tics (starting) --> CSM --> Havocs and/or Raptors.

(P.S. I know there's not any "always best buildorder" here. I have gone tripple tics occasionally - because 3 x 'nade launchers and a Blight Grenade turns Guardsmen spam into Nurgle soup)
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 12:18 am

Woodenplank wrote:(P.S. I know there's not any "always best buildorder" here. I have gone tripple tics occasionally - because 3 x 'nade launchers and a Blight Grenade turns Guardsmen spam into Nurgle soup)

Double sentinels will turn the heretic spam into ground beef for the emperor though. :twisted:
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 12:42 pm

Torpid wrote:CSM upkeep being pretty substantially increased next patch for whatever reason

wat
Woodenplank
Level 1

Postby Woodenplank » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 11:41 am

Shroom wrote:
Torpid wrote:CSM upkeep being pretty substantially increased next patch for whatever reason

wat

Change log: 2.8 BETA PATCH
[...]
Chaos Space Marine Squad:
Upkeep cost increased from 1.92 to 2.55.

Double CSM double nerf.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”