What are the downsides of being supressed in melee?

Strategy and L2P topics.
Schepp himself
Level 3

What are the downsides of being supressed in melee?

Postby Schepp himself » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 12:24 pm

Hello fellow elitists.
I always wondered what the downsides are when a unit is supressed but also stuck in melee. As I got it, the cooldown of a melee weapon is 0 so no multiplier can increase it. And your speed is not of importance if you are in melee anyways. So, what is left? Am I overlooking something?

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
TheGoldenChicken
Level 1

Re: What are the downsides of being supressed in melee?

Postby TheGoldenChicken » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 12:43 pm

Schepp himself wrote:Hello fellow elitists.
I always wondered what the downsides are when a unit is supressed but also stuck in melee. As I got it, the cooldown of a melee weapon is 0 so no multiplier can increase it. And your speed is not of importance if you are in melee anyways. So, what is left? Am I overlooking something?

Greets
Schepp himself

I don't think that there's any direct downside, but units suppressed in melee seem to use less time hitting back and more time crawling around like morons. This is why many eldar players use banshee war shout when fighting ASM for example
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 2:28 pm

TheGoldenChicken wrote:
Schepp himself wrote:Hello fellow elitists.

Greets
Schepp himself

I don't think that there's any direct downside, but units suppressed in melee seem to use less time hitting back and more time crawling around like morons. This is why many eldar players use banshee war shout when fighting ASM for example

I always assumed it was just a case that they slowed down and thus couldn't pile into combat very effectively in order to strike.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 3:11 pm

Yep, simply the slower movement speed means all models don't get into combat as fast, which can mean the initial models that do die quicker as all enemy models focus on them. Also, during the full mleee engagement with all models, specials will proc, when suppressed the models tha get knocked back from the specials will take longer to move back into the fight leaving the other models that didn't get knocked back stranded and liable to die.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:56 pm

Suppression does received ranged damage increase?
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:57 pm

No.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Sun 06 May, 2018 4:34 pm

Torpid wrote:Yep, simply the slower movement speed means all models don't get into combat as fast, which can mean the initial models that do die quicker as all enemy models focus on them. Also, during the full mleee engagement with all models, specials will proc, when suppressed the models tha get knocked back from the specials will take longer to move back into the fight leaving the other models that didn't get knocked back stranded and liable to die.

Great to know. Animation-wise, suppressed models don't seem to be in melee yet even though the enemy, non-supressed models are hacking away. And, IIRC, models that move past model that are melee-attacking them have their melee skill reduced. Is the aforementioned situation (Raptors landing, suppressing, starting to slash on crawling enemies) the same as moving past Raptors?

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Tue 15 May, 2018 10:53 pm

If it helps, models that are moving also have a melee skill reduction. So units that are Knocked back and are moving slower do suffer a melee skill penalty.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 16 May, 2018 12:27 am

Black Relic wrote:If it helps, models that are moving also have a melee skill reduction. So units that are Knocked back and are moving slower do suffer a melee skill penalty.

Didn't realise that was even a thing. How much does it mitigate it by?
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Aetherion
Level 2

Postby Aetherion » Wed 16 May, 2018 1:46 am

Swift wrote:
Black Relic wrote:If it helps, models that are moving also have a melee skill reduction. So units that are knocked back and are moving slower do suffer a melee skill penalty.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=243&hilit=moving+melee+skill&start=60#p7362

They lose 2 MS while moving, which is a 2% increase in special chance, thus granting otherwise equal melee superiority units (70 MS) a 7% knockback chance, as compared to their usual 5%, meaning there is a 40% increase in the average number of specials you cause

However "this -2 penalty does not apply to models that are in "Charging" mode (a movement state when a model is moving toward an enemy to engage in melee)" (from codex). I also believe suppressed units cannot charge, though they definitely can leap so im not too sure about that. However, there is definitely a charge cooldown period so if units are knocked down just as they are charging and then suppressed, they are basically fucked.
CREED FOR THE PLAN GOD
ELDRAD FOR THE DICK THRONE
just as planned
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 16 May, 2018 2:02 pm

Aetherion wrote:
Swift wrote:
Black Relic wrote:If it helps, models that are moving also have a melee skill reduction. So units that are knocked back and are moving slower do suffer a melee skill penalty.

They lose 2 MS while moving, which is a 2% increase in special chance, thus granting otherwise equal melee superiority units (70 MS) a 7% knockback chance, as compared to their usual 5%, meaning there is a 40% increase in the average number of specials you cause

However "this -2 penalty does not apply to models that are in "Charging" mode (a movement state when a model is moving toward an enemy to engage in melee)" (from codex). I also believe suppressed units cannot charge, though they definitely can leap so im not too sure about that. However, there is definitely a charge cooldown period so if units are knocked down just as they are charging and then suppressed, they are basically fucked.

Thanks for that, never even realised this was a thing, definitely worth remembering.
Thibix Magnus
Level 2

Postby Thibix Magnus » Wed 16 May, 2018 2:24 pm

Swift wrote:
Aetherion wrote:
Swift wrote:Didn't realise that was even a thing. How much does it mitigate it by?

Thanks for that, never even realised this was a thing, definitely worth remembering.

yeah I think I use banshee warcry more often in melee engagements than to catch kiters :s

Return to “Strategy Discussion”