dealing with warp spiders in eldar mirror

Strategy and L2P topics.
Thibix Magnus
Level 2

dealing with warp spiders in eldar mirror

Postby Thibix Magnus » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 10:37 pm

ok so I'm really not playing often enough for any advice to be profitable but...

I find some of the matches where I most horribly struggle is in eldar mirrors, when facing a WSE with 2xWS. I main the other two usually, besides I realize I don't play a lot with WS myself (I know they're often a staple but play style thing). I would feel rather confident with other factions as most can outshoot them or throw enough bodies, but I don't think I ever won against double warp spiders in a mirror. Respectively I see them mostly in mirrors. This comes from usually a 2v2 or 3v3 perspective but I guess it can apply (or be even worse) in 1v1.

Assuming 2xWSE myself isn't ideal as the opponent WSE gets them sooner... my ideas to work with are mainly gear related in main engagements, cloak of shadows, ghost helm, but in practice I quite can't yet be where needed. I'll try them more myself but meantime... any composition advice, maybe third/fourth DA, or are the commander abilities the only salvation? Thanks for any tip!

(yes I know I know, feels good when eldar get the bitter taste of their own tricky recipe)
Torpid

Re: dealing with warp spiders in eldar mirror

Postby Torpid » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 7:22 am

Definitely don't rely on shees/DA because WS hard counter them. DA cannot win firefights with WS.

I think a WL is a good option with the shuriken cannon to bleed them from afar and then warp throw to deal with brightlances. Cloak of shadows is obviously a must to give you that range buff and to try and catch the WS out of cover rather than constantly in cover. A fully upgraded T2 warlock could do pretty well defensively near your wraithlord. Not tried it myself but theoretically I imagine dark repaers would be good vs spiders because of their superior range and heavy infantry armour. The spiders probably bleed a lot more than the reapers so long as the reapers catch the spiders out of cover or form cover themselves, which with their range they should.

Distort field and energy shields will help you win fights.

As farseer I'd rely on spirit stone heals, psychic storm (to catch them after they blob tele into cover and force them to move out of cover and die to your ranged fire or retreat) and grav blade to help counter-initiate shees if he tries to take down the WL with shees+dual haywires.

Positionally though don't get too aggressive. Play slow and steady advancing in blobs. Isolated units are gonna get shredded and isntantly forced off by dual spiders.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 8:35 am

Thibix Magnus wrote:ok so I'm really not playing often enough for any advice to be profitable but...

I find some of the matches where I most horribly struggle is in eldar mirrors, when facing a WSE with 2xWS. I main the other two usually, besides I realize I don't play a lot with WS myself (I know they're often a staple but play style thing). I would feel rather confident with other factions as most can outshoot them or throw enough bodies, but I don't think I ever won against double warp spiders in a mirror. Respectively I see them mostly in mirrors. This comes from usually a 2v2 or 3v3 perspective but I guess it can apply (or be even worse) in 1v1.

Assuming 2xWSE myself isn't ideal as the opponent WSE gets them sooner... my ideas to work with are mainly gear related in main engagements, cloak of shadows, ghost helm, but in practice I quite can't yet be where needed. I'll try them more myself but meantime... any composition advice, maybe third/fourth DA, or are the commander abilities the only salvation? Thanks for any tip!

(yes I know I know, feels good when eldar get the bitter taste of their own tricky recipe)

It would be also helpful to save the replays for those matches and post it here. That way people like torpid, adila can actually have a look at those matches and form more concrete advises.

If you added that player who used that 2x WS build, ask him to play a match and reuse that build so that you can practice and get a replay to be posted here.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 8:39 am

I dont play eldar but i think rangers splash damage of kenetik pulse is a good way for disruption and doing damage since kenetic pulse does splash and WS are normal infintriy so they can be damaged that way
as a matter of fact i was watching an eldar mirror recently between adila and freeman, they went DA and rangers into falcon no ws. this is the replay
https://dawnofwar.info/esl/match/32719399
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Thibix Magnus
Level 2

Postby Thibix Magnus » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 9:45 am

thanks all, will save a replay next time. Maybe the greatest challenge is to change cap habits, I tend to confidently spread my squads to recap my part of the map, I guess I have to stay more grouped or knowingly bait the harass. Rangers can be good also for scouting purposes so I can guess which caping squad is the target but if I slip oh do they die fast to 2WS ^^. I like the WL-shuri idea, thought of it too but didn't try yet by fear of chain stuns, but for once it does seem more forgiving in that case than a falcon.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”