Melta dread

Strategy and L2P topics.
Easytoremember
Level 0

Melta dread

Postby Easytoremember » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 1:29 pm

I put it here and want to discuss your experience with the thing. In my opinion the only time you ever want to buy it is when you win a fight against a melee walker, it is still in your reach but it flees. Then with that upgrade you ensure that it does not get away. Also I could see a case when you face a tank with your walker and you want to rely on your opponent bad micro and try to attack it with your melta dread and somehow win. Or against a transport. 140 power investment against a transport sounds cool, enemy will have a lot of things to stop your melta dread.

But all in all I feel like this is balance material, dont find it all that viable at all. The other two versions have clear applications and are great at them. One is beastly at battling melee and most importantly protecting your units. That is a very important role, because space marines suffer a lot from melee charges. The AC dread has very great DPS plus an ability that can be devastating. Its weaknesses exist but they are completely justified. The melta dread is missing something. Too easy to control the thing with ranged AV. Too easy to take it out with melee AV. All because of the weird range the dreadnought has. I thought about giving it a charge ability. Would strengthen its offensive usage as well as allowing possibilities to escape. Right now it feels like the melta dread can only be effective if your opponent is very persistent in his attempt NOT to counter it at all.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Re: Melta dread

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 2:04 pm

It deals 190 dmg per hit so it kills models very fast. It's on a melee walker. It is great to battle vehicles and SHI or HI units. Eldar also suffer a great deal from a Melta Dread. Combine it with ASM Melta Bombs and Falcons are done for easy.
Easytoremember
Level 0

Postby Easytoremember » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 2:42 pm

Eldar are extremely good at dealing with walkers that get close to them. You know they have their own melta. Cheap and unforgiving. That can run away from walkers all day long and then punish them when it is time. 90 pwr for falcon vs 140 pwr for dread. Plus 20 for melta bombs. So cannot possible take you by surprise. One game comes to mind when I dared to use a melta dread against a falcon. He evaded me for some time and then shoved his walker in my face when I commited to attack the falcon. Wasnt pleasant to battle that melee resistant walker that also does more damage.

What SHI it counters? I would say it is the other way around. Ogryns can deal with the thing. Maybe not in one go. But they can run away, dread cannot. Termies are just too tough and hold their own in melee. And that T2 tyranid thing is pretty cheap and wrecks the melta dread.

And if I want to counter HI I would rather stick with the safe AC.

Not yet convinced it is a viable thing.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 4:08 pm

Might I ask who are you in game aka steam easytoermember before I answer
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 5:13 pm

While you may believe what you are saying to be fact, the opposite is true. Melts Dreads exceed at killing Eldar models, including Exarchs. As I said before, if you accompany the Dread with ASMs as you always should, the Falcon stands no chance. Warpspiders may have a Haywire but your Dread has far more HP than a Falcon.
On the issue of the Wraithlord; if your opponent gets out a Falcon and a Wraithlord and you do not counter with a Lascannon at least then I don‘t know.....
Eldar heavily heavily struggle with Walkers. Even Fire Dragons don’t change this fact by a lot since nowadays they melt so easily inflicting more dmg to your own economy than the enemy Walker.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 5:25 pm

Easytoremember wrote:In my opinion the only time you ever want to buy it is when you win a fight against a melee walker,

Your basis are wrong, melta dreds are used to deal with transports when in conjunction with other slows like melta bomb (and asm jump pathblocking)/lascannons, melee walkers are fought with melee walkers.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 6:12 pm

Meltadread is fine. Giving it a charge will make it OTT.
ShowMeMagik
Level 2

Postby ShowMeMagik » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 9:08 am

Out if interest when would people get a melts dred. I understand that they are supposedly fine but basing it on replays alone, sorry my plying days are limited, I rarely see them.

Would anyone get a dred with the intention going melta or is it a I have a melee dred I need an extra hit of av?

If no one is getting them as other units do a better job then surely something is amiss with their role?
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 11:46 am

I am using melta dread as a chasing walker unit. Get multi melta, use it in close combat mode, chase every infantry models while exploding them with melta shots. Meltadread is good against Chaos, since they don't have a good heavy melee option in T2. And even effective against Eldar, GK, and SM, if you can deal with their heavy melee squad asap.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 12:50 pm

ShowMeMagik wrote:Out if interest when would people get a melts dred. I understand that they are supposedly fine but basing it on replays alone, sorry my plying days are limited, I rarely see them.

Would anyone get a dred with the intention going melta or is it a I have a melee dred I need an extra hit of av?

If no one is getting them as other units do a better job then surely something is amiss with their role?

Pretty much always vs eldar and if you fall behind in other MUs and you have ASMs they become good tank killers.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 9:10 pm

IMO melta dread is largely a timing/gamble upgrade. Continually purchase and cancel it to find the exact right time for it to come to revealed.

Some examples:
1. Head to head walker battle. Buy the upgrade as soon as you are getting into combat. If the battle is close, cancel it and repurchase it. If/when you are gaining the upper hand or have better repair support on the way, let it finish. You cannot run away from a melta dread. By the time your opponent decides to retreat his walker, his options will have run out because your melta cannon will be finished upgrading a few seconds later.
2. You're dreadnaught is in a potential flanking position for an enemy tank or transport. Again, the idea is to purchase the upgrade as you move into position. If you end up being within charge range of the enemy vehicle, let the upgrade finish. You will very likely be able to kill it.
3. You're being chased out of a fight with your walker. Buy the upgrade as you turn around and head for home. Having this upgrade ready within a few seconds of turning around can be a very potent and surprising counter attack, especially if your opponent is chasing your dreadnaught very aggressively. If your opponent doesn't chase hard, then you simply cancel the upgrade.

I know it requires diligence and a little extra micro, but by simply buying the upgrade in these situations (and being ready to cancel it) you open up several opportunities for yourself to create a "pivot" moment in a match.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”