Explain tyranid options at tier 2 to me

Strategy and L2P topics.
zemanjaski1
Level 1

Explain tyranid options at tier 2 to me

Postby zemanjaski1 » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi there,

Ive been playing a bunch of LA (it reminds me of Blademaster in WC3) and have been implementing what seems to be a fairly stock BO:

termagaunt, termagaunt, Power node, generator, warrior brood, toxin sacs & adrenal glands then tech to tier 2.

Ive found this really solid in the early game and can often get some advantage during this phase. I’m less sure at tier 2.

Is the main choice between quick Tyrant Guard or Zoanthrope? Venom Brood / Genestealers seem like more reactive choices against certain specific threats (vehicles, assault marine type units).

IM hoping to get an explanation of what works where and why.

Thanks!
TheGoldenChicken
Level 1

Re: Explain tyranid options at tier 2 to me

Postby TheGoldenChicken » Thu 28 Dec, 2017 12:54 pm

I think it heavily depends on your upgrade choice for your warrior brood. If you get adrenal glands for them, the guard will do far better, whereas the supression from barb strangler will compliment the zoanthrope very nicely
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Thu 28 Dec, 2017 1:00 pm

I'm not a Tyranid pro but here's what I do:

I couldn't smash some power and my enemy seems to save on updates so I can expect a vehicle soon. -> Venom brood
I have built up some pressure, smashed some power and want to finish him. -> Tyrant guard
I have built up some pressure, smashed some power but don't think I can put the nail in the coffin. -> Zoanthrope.

With Zoanthropes it's a bit tricky if the enemy has units that can catch it. A save(r) choice is Tyrant Guard and Venom brood, the latter complements your shooty built even better with the nasty range synapse.

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 4:44 pm

First of I would say la is the worst hero for tyranids in all match ups try and learn ra or ht they are so much better atm,

Gensteals
Are only reactive and only have one job, vs melee cos they have the best melee skill 80 then can get 90 thanks to adrenal glands you need warriors for this and another reason why is thx to Adrenal Rush they have to safe heal,damage buff and reduces range damage by a lot for some reason use to heal for more and more damage but for less range damage reduce but yea only really good vs melee and well thx the Infiltrate buff they got only need 2 sec now which is really nice for ambushers.

Tyrant guard
Pretty much your tank unit in t2 deals a lot of damage and can take out too but with no melee resistance aura aka 40% damage reduction to melee can die quickly to unit with power weapons and heavy melee but it does have a charge to get out of and I only use it for this can use to charge into something but make sure there some think around for this, and the main weakest thing about the tyrant guard its one the slowest thing in the game without synapse do not get a tyrant guard without synapse and keep it around it can use infestation tower but if your oppent has any brains he just kill them. With the heal it can stay not have to go to base to heal can use it if there no av around to save it, best use out of your tyrant guard is to keep it near your zoans or and stay near your amy can lead but don't leave it alone.

Zoanthrope
Well your range blob dealer and set up teams clearer, can die very fast, with the heal synapse helps out a lot with fexs late game and with any stuff to . Just keep it in the back can somethink to spot and let it do it thing you always want one zoan I find and make sure you have somethink to guard it gensteals or tyrant guard works well.

Venom brood
Well they are your range av unit but they suck at that so you find yourself crying when they can't kill even a trukk with 350hp reliably :cry: but thay do give synapse and can give range synapse to help your termagants and raves but yea keep them around your stuff and pray they can kill vehicles sometimes.

But yea a lot of the time you find your self out of requisition playing tyranids and not needing power a whole lot till t3 make sure you look after your rec points and take many of your opponents as you can you only need power in t3 and for teching.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”