Chaos Basics for a complete starter!

Strategy and L2P topics.
zemanjaski1
Level 1

Chaos Basics for a complete starter!

Postby zemanjaski1 » Sat 23 Dec, 2017 4:24 am

Hi everyone.

So I hadn't played DOW2 until today, having come across Indrid replays on YouTube and immediately consuming several hours of coverage.

I've downloaded and installed Retribution & am now installing Elite Mod. Great website here too.

I have tried searching the internet for build order guiders / primers for Chaos but can't really find anything; this is somewhat surprising because having played games like WC3: TFT or SC2 there are all sorts of resources for newbies, but no matter.

If you've got a moment, could anyone set out some standard build orders for chaos (can be map or opposing race specific if that's preferred).

Also, when do you normally add power & how many generators do you add so soon? I seem to always have lots of req but very little power.

When I move set-up teams (eg: devs) I don't get the set-up cone to see what's covered and which way they will face - is there a hotkey or something to toggle this so I can ensure they set-up covering the space I want them too?

Finally, is there a hotkey for forced melee? I see players go for this in replays (I think because melee doesn't have reduced damage on retreat?) and want t get in the habit of going for it.

I'm zemanjaski1 online too, feel welcome to add and crush me at your leisure :)

Thanks!
egewithin
Level 5

Re: Chaos Basics for a complete starter!

Postby egewithin » Sat 23 Dec, 2017 4:34 am

I would suggest you to watch chaos replays A LOT to learn as soon as possible. That is how I learned the game. Because explaining the whole race is very very hard to do.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sat 23 Dec, 2017 6:36 am

We used to have more guides, but they've either been lost to the warp or got outdated over the years

Spectate games with Chaos players in it and watch them to see what they do. If it's a 3v3 only watch the player you want and don't get distracted. Just join a game and say 'obs pls'. People only freak out if new players want to play in a match meant for those who are experienced

Watch replays. Set the fog of war to be only for the Chaos player so you see what they see. https://www.dawnofwar.info/esl/log

Watch casts on Youtube. Indrid is the main one. Spectating and watching replays is better though. https://www.youtube.com/user/DoWReplaysNet/videos

Add power whenever you can when you're not planning on spending your resources on units. It's usually whenever you're floating req as that's what gens cost. Example: 550 req and you want a unit that costs 450 so you have the resources to buy a gen

I don't play Chaos, but build orders in this game are pretty simple. Just copy what you see in a replay and test it out

Hold right click and move your mouse in the direction you want it to face

'D' to force melee

Good luck!
zemanjaski1
Level 1

Postby zemanjaski1 » Sat 23 Dec, 2017 7:02 am

Thanks, i'll get right on it! Very helpful :)
TharxGamma
Level 2

Postby TharxGamma » Sat 23 Dec, 2017 8:23 am

Hey there buddy! Welcome! I'm not much of a chaos player but if you need anything add me Tharx Gamma. Also if we have any games up I'm sure we could get you obs which is a great way apart from replays to learn. :) GL&HF!

Return to “Strategy Discussion”