Help me improve please - with replays

Strategy and L2P topics.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Help me improve please - with replays

Postby Schepp himself » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 4:49 pm

Hej guys,
I'm new to DOW2 multiplayer and Elite for that matter but am very happy that you guys are keeping this awesome game alive. I played some ranked multiplayer in company of heroes but that was some time ago.

I experienced a great deal of help in the company of heroes-forums when replays were posted, so I hope you guys can help me out because I'm stumped when it comes to all the units and abilities and whatnot. I've chosen the WSE first because I like his teleporting which fits the eldar (playing) style in my opinion. I try to play 1v1 because there you can't blame it on the other players. Always nice for your ego but doesn't help you improve actually.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Greets
Schepp himself

Edit: Just added another one. Fresh out of the oven.
Attachments
2p_paletoothgorge.2017-10-15.11-20-04.rec
(442.23 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
2p_paletoothgorge.2017-10-08.17-29-17.rec
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 162 times
2p_paletoothgorge.2017-10-06.20-23-09.rec
(514.15 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
2p_calderisrefinery.2017-10-06.21-26-16.rec
(634.61 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Last edited by Schepp himself on Sun 15 Oct, 2017 10:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Greets schep himself thingy
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Re: Help me improve please - with replays

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 1:08 am

Can't really help you as I'm kinda a FC player(who is currently binging the new Total War game before I come back).You can just grab some replays from the ladder and learn from them. It'll even tell you the persons ranking in them. Not many WSE players, though that's not to say that he's bad. Certain heroes have always been more popular because of a persons perception of what's 'cool'.

https://www.dawnofwar.info/esl/log
Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 2:13 am

Hello and welcome to the mod.
To be honest I only skipped through the 1st replay on x4 speed but here is my impression/some tips:

Overall you showed some promising gameplay.
You hunted down the vulnerable scouts with your WSE and TPed out when the main army approached him. The Entangling Web purchase on the WSE to control the teleporting thunder hammer FC was also nice.
I didnt like your Dire Avengers and Banshees usage though, you blob them up way too much when just capping; in general you want to spread out when capping and gather your forces when you are expecting a fight. The early Dire Avenger aspects purchases are also questionable since you dont seem to use their abilities much :P . Rather spent your money on an earlier shuriken cannon and get the aspects afterwards. Remember to use their shields/grenades/Fleet of Foot! They can help you avoid the Force Commander and/or the Flamer tacs which you seemed to struggle against.
Come T2 your first purchase were Dark Reapers which are only really diserable vs the Tacs (inferno dmg vs heavy infantery). Generally you want to make sure your Anti-Vehicle department is covered especially if you are vs an opponent that fast techs like in this game. Good generalist purchases in t2 vs SM are Falcon and Wraithlord.
Another aspect that is important to mention: Space Marines are a low damage race, their only unit that can sneak a gen bash are flamer tacs. Keeping track of them will secure your gens in T1.
I liked your early web way build ups, newer players rarely seem to realize how important mobility is.

Thats the brainstorm for now, I might look into the other replays in the next days/week 8-)
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks for the input (and I can even understand that you wanna play the new TW)!
When it comes to T2 (and T3) I'm a total newby because I played maybe 5 games to that point. And the game was lost or won by then. So good hint with the reapers. In my tabletop logic it was clear that reapers couldn't be bad against marines and I thought I could give the exarch a missle launcher for AV. Oh well... :)

I started to use more grenades with Dire Avengers but really have to train with all of their abilities. So I get what you are saying. Ok well, I better keep practising.

Greets
Schepp himself
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:30 pm

Added a few more. Got spanked the hard way by Chaos. The Herectics just jumped me and squished my squishy eldar and the lord was just walking through everything. Any strat-tips would be appreciated.

Next one was against SM which are just nasty all around. Flamer to Power smash, Scouts to harass, FC who get more and more powerful and in the end the Terminators that seal the deal.

Greets
Schepp himself
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 4:33 pm

And another one fresh in:

How can I defeat that Apo? He was healing in melee (i dind't know that gimmick) so my banshees bounced of him. Shall I just get out of the way against nearly all enemy heroes/units when playing the WSE? I'm slowly getting to the point to think that. Input?

Greets
Schepp himself
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 10:24 am

Ok against IG I can't think of anything. The Sentinel breaks my bones every time. My standard DA,HB, SC-build is pretty useless because Banshees get destroyed without doing much. Should I do a DA,DA,SC-build?

See the last replay for details.

Thanks for any help.

Greets
Schepp himself
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 10:57 am

For Apo : Just focus fire the shit out of him. I always use Shees (we use shees for banshees insted of HB btw) with Guide buff f and DR phew phew to force him of asap. If he retreats after getting into melee, shees will probobly chase him down and kill. Great win for a start am I right?

For IG : You need a bit of skill to use shees against IG. I admit it, it is very hard for shees to shine. I would suggest to ignore using shees like sluggaz, and more like different jobs. Like bashing power. It helps you to split your enemys army and much easyer to fight now.

You should use every ability that your hero has. Teleport in and tie up one GM with WSE, abuse immolator and that basic smite combo, guide buff on shrukens and wraithguard, etc.
WarCpt
Level 0

Postby WarCpt » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:15 pm

I watched the replay where you narrowly lost to the Apothecary, my observations on the game:

Firstly, the Apoth was able to heal himself in melee as he was using the Sanguine Chainsword wargear. This basically heals him by an small amount every time he deals a melee strike, also increasing his charge range. The best way to deal with this is to focus fire him with your ranged units as mentioned previously. He is not able to take much damage with his low health pool and is forced away easily.

Always be watchful for grenades whenever you see a Scout squad with a Sergeant, especially when you are garrisoned as you take a lot more damage.

Banshees work best against Tactical marines, try to flank or surprise them so that you don't take too much ranged damage before you engage in melee.

Lastly, try and scout the map to find out what units your opponent has fielded. Watching the replay, your opponent had only 2 units fielded for large periods of the game (never seen a player do this before?) You could have taken advantage of this had you known, committing less units to fighting and capping around the map.

However brief and basic this post is I hope it helps :)

Return to “Strategy Discussion”