Why do I lose? 1v1

Strategy and L2P topics.
Jerry
Level 1

Why do I lose? 1v1

Postby Jerry » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 6:51 pm

So I main SM cause they seem easy and powerful.
However, they are really dependant on eachother and and quite immobile so I don't know what to do in 1v1. If I spread out I get pushed of and often powerbashed and It's really gameover from that point....I can't come back.

Got some replays where I lose all the time and I don't know why except for losing squads after 5mins+ due to spreading out so much but that's hard to notice. Not like CoH where you got an actual minimap....
Attachments
2p_calderisrefinery.2017-06-26.23-00-57.rec
(763.12 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
1v1typhonlowlands.2017-06-30.16-11-54.rec
(327.65 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
2p_typhonswampredux.2017-06-30.16-34-28.rec
(381.96 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
2p_typhonswampredux.2017-06-30.17-52-11.rec
(452.78 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Re: Why do I lose? 1v1

Postby Ace of Swords » Sat 01 Jul, 2017 12:15 am

So far I've watched the FC vs WL game I'll watch the rest later:

So, you went for a 1 1 1 1 build which is fine vs eldar, though I tend to not get devs unless I plan in getting a libby, instead I prefer to heavily upgrade both scouts ( or at least having 1 shottie + sarge and another shotty) but this is heavily dependant on how much power the eldar spends in T1 (how many upgrades to units/hero, how many ranger/shuri squads) and also getting a t1.5 unit out before upgrades is generally the best option even though there are some exceptions where a fast shotty/flamer can win you the map/game.

Both you and your opponent forgot to buy power but you did so much later than him, this led to a pretty big power disparity that he could've exploited with a falcon, instead he went for spiders, had you not lost asm/devs the game was still very much winnable at this point.

Now you lost your second scout pretty early on, this is a huge mistake you NEED them for map control especially against eldar that has faster units,fof and eventually gates, scouts will be your capping engine pretty much as well as causing a major headache to the eldar player by using their infiltration to grenade squads or tie them up or engage from favorable positions if he refuses to build rangers and even if he does it's still half a win for you (he has to micro more, much more for a very small damage return).

If you need to improve your map awareness I suggest you to keep switching between units with hotkeys, if you don't use hotkeys for everything (selecting squads, retreating, using abilities you have to learn that, it will greatly decrease reaction times and will overall increase the survivability of your squads.

One last mistake I noted is that you at some point were focusing on a contested node with not gens with asm/hero instead of capping the map while most of the map was ready, when you are so close to the opp base and you have such low dps units that frankly suck against gens you should just focusing on recapturing the map, even more so if your opponent has everything in the base and is ready to force you off as soon as he comes out.

Apo vs LC

Here you made a lot of mistakes early game, 2 scouts builds against IG can work but I highly advise against them, you can either go fast 2 tacts in devs or just into fast devs into asm (generally just against LG as they are terrible vs inq and not really recommended against LC but can still do a good job) or you can go into fast devs, bleed yourself/opp and drop pod more tacts for 100 req cheaper.

Second thing, you went for a fast bolter on the apo, this is a terrible choice because against IG you need devs as soon as your chosen build can afford them, on this note you again got the gens too late, the insta node was good but you also needed to drop 2 gens (unless you plan to go double tacts in that case you can skip the first node but make sure to stall to avoid the sent rush-decapping you, then asap purchase the node).

Shotguns scouts are also not great in this match up, they will once you fully invest in them for map control or supporting (sarge,shotties,inf) but it's definitely unnecessary in T1* and will be better to purchase in t2/3 or when you feel comfortable, another issue of this match up is that you need to play defensively and conservatively for most T1 and T2, don't over extend, avoid bleeding (try to not feed him XP).

tl;dr - Get more units out faster, then upgrades, play safe and conservatively.

*unless your opponent goes for infiltrated inq/improvised explosives shenanigans

Return to “Strategy Discussion”