The solution to the eldar question...

Strategy and L2P topics.
The Bad Road
Level 1

The solution to the eldar question...

Postby The Bad Road » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 12:45 am

I don't care what the solution is save that it not involve playing the eldar, how do I win against them? I don't care what faction you use, what solution kills them and kills them good?

Personal roster: SM with FC, willing to branch out into the Apoth and Tech if it helps me put a powerfist up the eldar ass. Main issue is reaching t2 along or before the eldar, las cannon team is useless against the falcon.
Last edited by The Bad Road on Sun 13 Nov, 2016 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Re: The solution to the eldar question...

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 1:03 am

This is such a broad question that it can't be answered in a few paragraphs. What commanders are you playing? what strategies are you employing? what units in the eldar roster and what strategies are causing you the most trouble?

If you specify these things you might get a helpful answer.
Last edited by Oddnerd on Thu 17 Nov, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 12:44 pm

First we need to know why you are struggling in this matchup since it is very even (with SM coming out slightly on top atm). Especially the Techmarine and the Force Commander are the bane of the Eldar race. Thunderhammer and Master Crafted Bolter are like ez mode vs them and unless they employ Rangers, you don't even need ASMs. Taking down a Falcon is possible if the opponent lets his guard down for one second and you get the snare on it. Meltabomb+Lascannon should be more than enough in most cases. You can help out with "For The Emperor" or "Mark Target" as well.
May I also suggest you look at these https://dawnofwar.info/esl/log/10187791 or these https://dawnofwar.info/esl/log/10186929 replays first to get some clues.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 6:10 pm

The only solution is the Final Solution. Don't worry, I'm working diligently to make it happen :twisted:
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 6:46 pm

A Doom of Malan'tai for every craftworld? Works for me.
The Bad Road
Level 1

Postby The Bad Road » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 9:25 pm

The eldar git I'm dealing with is especially fond of his banshees, need a way to spank them hard early on that still allows me to make it to t2 on schedule.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 9:32 pm

The Bad Road wrote:The eldar git I'm dealing with is especially fond of his banshees, need a way to spank them hard early on that still allows me to make it to t2 on schedule.

Shotguns, ASM jump, Master Crafted Bolter, Purification Rites, Purification Vials, Bionics, Battlecry, Devastators. Those are the abilities and units I can think on top of my head right now. The rest comes down to positioning. Space Marines are a race that depend heavily on correct positioning. If one unit is not in the right position or a key unit gets forced off, your entire army suffers.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 7:45 am

I wouldn't say a lascannon is useless vs a falcon, but, you are going to need ASM too and sterns to wade off the 3x GM support.

I think techmarine has it far easier vs eldar and so long as they aren't a WL you can abuse turrets vs them very well as eldar are pretty bad at dealing with them pre-wraithguard.

The thing with the techmarine is that with bionics he can very cheaply solo pretty much all eldar squads, bleed avengers a lot in the early game and camp buildings to drive them bad and deny map control. Mark Target absolutely shreds up banshees too in T2.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
_4ut_
Level 2

Postby _4ut_ » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 1:11 pm

Oh ok. And what about IG? I played in 2.6t vs him, and it's still that fuck, what it be. Lamolator+3DA+Suri = retreat, retreat, concede. And I do my best every second on game, and won some engage, but Eldar simple push on ability + a-move and win.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 1:49 pm

_4ut_ wrote:Oh ok. And what about IG? I played in 2.6t vs him, and it's still that fuck, what it be. Lamolator+3DA+Suri = retreat, retreat, concede. And I do my best every second on game, and won some engage, but Eldar simple push on ability + a-move and win.

https://www.dawnofwar.info/esl/match/23156239

https://www.dawnofwar.info/esl/match/23156081

https://www.dawnofwar.info/esl/match/23156297

Play LG and if he isn't a WL abuse las-turrets. WL is by far the hardest for IG to handle though tbh, that just has to be acknowledged. Next patch the xbox bolt pistol will be way better vs eldar which will help out the IQ vs the DA spam.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
_4ut_
Level 2

Postby _4ut_ » Wed 16 Nov, 2016 10:42 pm

Torpid wrote:
_4ut_ wrote:Oh ok. And what about IG? I played in 2.6t vs him, and it's still that fuck, what it be. Lamolator+3DA+Suri = retreat, retreat, concede. And I do my best every second on game, and won some engage, but Eldar simple push on ability + a-move and win.

https://www.dawnofwar.info/esl/match/23156239

https://www.dawnofwar.info/esl/match/23156081

https://www.dawnofwar.info/esl/match/23156297

Play LG and if he isn't a WL abuse las-turrets. WL is by far the hardest for IG to handle though tbh, that just has to be acknowledged. Next patch the xbox bolt pistol will be way better vs eldar which will help out the IQ vs the DA spam.

Thanks!
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Thu 17 Nov, 2016 12:42 am

When an eldar gets 3Da and 1/2 shuri against you in T1 the game is automatically tipped in his favour, don't feel bad because you don't win the majority of these engagements. First - IG have no jump troops; second - their catachans ol' unreliable knocks enemy setup teams backwards, giving them precious time to re-deploy; and third - spotters don't counter setup teams, they just briefly disable them.

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to beating eldar, but here are some things that I found helped me in 3v3 when playing Lord General:

-Do what Torpid says and abuse turrets if they are not WL, eldar have no other flame damage so there is no clean way for them to deal with turrets the way other races do (Don't feel bad, they chose to play Eldar)

-Get the medkit (sergeant) and make sure to have one on your HWT if you get one. Many WLs will try to use immolate to drive off your HWT, preventing you from controlling his DAs. If you let the flames damage your models until they are fairly low, then use the medkit (100 hp healed per model), you should be able to keep firing (or at least keep them alive while you move to re-position, instead of retreating). Also, having medkits distributed to your other units will allow you to negate the damage from a well-placed destructor hit.

-Learn to use spotters (maybe you already do)... A single spotter squad can temporarily disable 2 shuricannons at once, or 1 team 2x in a row (remember when you are using the mortar to try and knock the enemy setup team towards you, they dont last long under 3xGM or 2xGM + sentinel fire). If you land a mortar shell on his DA blob and guys go flying, your GM and sentinel work be able to wreck them in most cases, forcing them to flee. Later in the game, the flame shell can be used to drive away setup teams and provide area denial against DAs.

-Lord General with grenade launchers sitting behind a shot blocker or at least in heavy cover is a huge bitch to face, and can even whittle down shuricannons if he isn't taking too much courage damage.

-LG auras allow your ranged blob to dominate. The damage reduction/knockback immunity aura is fantastic for letting your GM squads take on DAs, not only do they take less ranged damage but grenades will do less damage and not send them all flying. The suppression immunity armour with 3xGM and spotter/catachan support makes it possible for you to outshoot a setup team (although that armour doesnt seem very popular, maybe i was using it against really incompetent eldar players).

-Stormtroopers ruin eldar infantry - 2 stormtroopers with assault kit upgrade will dominate a DA blob, especially since they can shoot from behind the safety of a GM blob or a setup team to prevent the DAs from bum rushing you. Lord General sniper rifle aura (Fire on my Target) increases ST range by 30%, giving them nearly 60 range, enough to shoot further than an autocannon team... they will be so good at smoking eldar infantry it is almost criminal.
The Bad Road
Level 1

Postby The Bad Road » Thu 17 Nov, 2016 4:31 am

Kind of curious on the guardsmen front, how do the LC and the Inquisitor handle eldar?
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Thu 17 Nov, 2016 6:22 am

LC has the Power Sword and Carapace option. Combine that with Spotters and you can take on two setup teams BUT you have to play aggressive with that. Carapace means you gain suppression immunity for 7 seconds and Power Sword gives you the Battlecry-like ability which also increases his speed significantly. So the scenario would be to execute a Guardsmen and activate his PS ability and immediately smoke the first Shuriken to tie it up. The second Shuriken can then be shelled towards your blob and focus fired. Suppress his stuff with your HWT and you should ein the engagement. You can also use flares to reduce the Guardians range while closing in. I swear to God, it is the most annoying thing to play against. Freeman has brought great sorrow to my beautiful Eldar with this. Hurry though because Carapace and Power Sword will be nerfed next patch. Abuse it while it's hot 8-)
The Inquisitor has it a bit more difficult but unless the Eldar fielded Rangers,she can go for the Interrogators armor and infiltrate stuff including herself.
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Mon 28 Nov, 2016 2:22 pm

Oh Morgan now i need to get an new tactic :) but otherwise you Gould try bestnoob tactic 3 GM and sentinel and then eeehh ... OK i dont know the build order but hwt with autocannon and chimera is always in Tier 2, also bashing power should be important cause eldar can fast tech with theyre 3 da shuri build wish is a pain for theyre effectiveness. Though im no pretty much a Noob in 1v1 and just thought about what could be important, maybe cap requ points so they dont get too much of a advantage ?
Dullahan
Level 2

Postby Dullahan » Tue 13 Dec, 2016 4:02 am

Against Eldar I would say the following:

SM> Chaos > Tyranids > Orks > IG

IG vs Eldar is the most frustrating match up in the game. Even more imbalanced than IG vs Nids.

Firedragons kind of broke Eldar entirely as far as I am concerned. Completely imbalanced and unnecessary unit in the game.

I haven't played in months so I won't provide strategies. But in general the best bet vs eldar is to bleed their requisition as hard as you can and focus on controlling 2 vp's and avoid overextending. (which opens you up to a lot of deadly flanks)

Return to “Strategy Discussion”