Imperial Guard tactics

Strategy and L2P topics.
TE | NoSkill
Level 3

Imperial Guard tactics

Postby TE | NoSkill » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 1:57 pm

Is there a way to play the guard as it s mentioned in the lore?
Because every time i try to entrench i will get easely forced off.
My heavy weapons will get jumped and i don t have enough red to dropp more than one bunker:((
Oddnerd
Level 4

Re: Imperial Guard tactics

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 5:38 pm

Imperial Guard are the best race for entrenching and holding a spot (It is actually the only time they are in their element, an IG army on the move is at its most vulnerable); however, that doesn't mean your opponents are going to just run right into your firing line and die... they will come up with ways to break your entrenchment.

The opponent using his jump troops to counter your HWTs is just the natural order of things in this game.... come on man, saying "My heavy weapons will get jumped " like there is nothing you can do in response is just sad. Get another HWT to cover your 1st one (jump troops can't effectively engage both, unless he plans on getting a 2nd jump troop, which makes him commit more to T1 than you); get a unit of catachans to knockback and engage the jump troops (supported catachans can take down ASM/raptors/storms surprisingly quick); if you are playing LC or INQ get him/her a power weapon (LC can bleed and control jump troops with "Lead by Example" since it guarantees specials for several subsequent attacks, and INQ with pyre packs a good punch as well - in addition to her roflbonkers op pyre ability).

You can't expect to just setup some units in an entrenched position and leave them to their business like clockwork - your opponent is gonna use abilities and micro to overcome your setup and you have to be constantly issuing orders and responding to your opponents plays with your own counterplays.
Last edited by Oddnerd on Sun 21 Aug, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karnakkardak
Level 2

Postby karnakkardak » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 7:20 pm

ig turret(lasturret, vanquisher) does not give suppress enemy(most useful techmarine), causing this point, ig fortification itself easy to countering. what's real power defense of ig, infantry with reinforcement, buffing ability. so i give tip, use chimera and dont heavily rely on bunker(its able to fall in enemy hand and then u gave for enemy's fortification for ur resource) and chimera itself mobile that mean u can 3 use; support attack for reinforcement, defend the point sacrifice guardman's corpse-if then u should mobile base upgrade., flank attack to asist teammate engaing.

and i dont recommend fast tier 3. leman russ is good tank. but not almighty god. tank always need to support infantry. so, when tier 2, u make ur army stack and unit compostion. leman russ/baneblade for only 1-firepower and rarely expect other utility

finally my advise, dont lose squad. its simple tip, but very critical. ig must be mantaining unit compositon. 1 guardman squad (only req and already have 1 most 2 guardman) and late time only sentinel lose only fine& endure.
karnakkardak
Level 2

Postby karnakkardak » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 7:29 pm

if u play lord general, u should use ogryn. for ur global leman russ drop, u can make tier 2 high power cost unit without risk tier 3 unit later.
and ogryn will be good compostion for ur army becasue lg and ig army lack of melee fighter.and really good synergy with lord general buff(medi pack, immune knockback or supperssin. healed with stabilizer, vox caster etc.)
but if u play lord commisar/inquisitor i dont recommed ogryn. itself cost high, and commisar/inq already excel on melee.
Critical Slayer
Level 0

Postby Critical Slayer » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 12:54 pm

To me, the Inquisitor and Lord Commissar can both make excellent uses of Orgyns, though when it comes to vehicle killing, go stormtroopers for the melta bomb and infiltrate. Orgyns best reserved for melee hordes and walkers. Anyways, I personally recommend you try playing way more aggressively with Imperial Guard rather than trying to focus on entrenching a single vp or area to win the game. Tier 1 is all about harassing, taking points, and making your enemy bleed resources. Then hole up.
Critical Slayer, now Zee Captain.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 3:57 am

lord commissar is the strongest IG hero to combo with ogryns... I don't even... oh whatever...

Aura of Discipline offers ogryns ridonculous regeneration and makes them nigh immune to piercing damage.
A well timed bionic eye execute can allow ogryns to wipe almost anything.
A well timed inspire terror execute can allow ogryns to win in melee against ANY other squad save for lit claw termies.
Cast a flare, move to flank, force the retreat or they die.
Lead by example (sword buff) increases damage by 15%.
Land mines casted way back into possible retreat path = ogryns complete a kill against a vehicle

**And now for the big bang crazy killer combo**
LTTE + bionic eye execute + lead by example + AoD = ogryn squad moving at speed 8.5, doing roughly +135% damage, suppression immune, healed to full hp, +25% hp per model, + outrageous regeneration pulses.

But no no... LG and Inq can definitely support ogryns better...

Please, take it from a guy who spent many many hours specifically using ogryns and the LC:

"Ogryns are best supported by the Lord Commissar."
-Tex
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 5:35 am

I had a game vs crew where i abused Bionic Eye. I can attest to the LC being better at support Organs than the other heroes. Plus let not mention ionic Eye can be used at a baiting tool. Intentionally keep a squad in for too long and retreat them trying have a melee squad to chase them and over commit to try and wipe them. Then use bionic eye to nearly keep the movement speed gained from retreat but also heal every model in the squad and in turn (possibly) wipe the enemy squad.

Honestly Ballistic Flare needs a nerf. And a good nerf would be increasing the red cost by 5 and the cooldown time by 25 seconds or add a delay to the weapon range reduction along with a visual que showing that your units are about to get a massive debuff. Because that global it self supports organs because then they take less trange damage on approach.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 10:54 am

Tex wrote:LTTE
sorry, what does that means? Couldn't figure out.

I have played IG for a long time, maybe not as much as Tex. I agree that Commisar is the best hero combo with Ogryns.

Apart from Ogryns, I would like to share my opinions about '' lore '' play of IG. I think infantry based IG builds are still possible. I am currently using 3 GM with LG support with Sniper Rifle and Incoming ability. What about jumping squads? Well, in case of that, I am buying Catachan Devils. Shouldn't be a big problem. Still, not as effective as a Sentinel stomp, but this build pays off really well in T2. I am just making it easyer with not buying a Sentinal that is it.

Also, jumping squads are not always a threat. If you are against Tyranids for example, incoming Hormos can me melted by GM lasfire. If walking melee squads are really a threat, Cats would be the solution. Much eayser to micro than Sentinal. And haven't mentioned about HWT yet. :D
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 1:31 pm

Loyal to the End

Return to “Strategy Discussion”