Help vs GK please

Strategy and L2P topics.
ChokoBambus
Level 2

Help vs GK please

Postby ChokoBambus » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 6:17 am

I am having trouble figuring out EvGK. Can anyone give me a basic rundown of the strats, BOs and Cap orders one would use to fight them?

I do pretty solidly in tier 1 but come tier 2 I do not know what to build. And going hyper tier 1 seems to be map dependant.
HARRYY
Level 2

Re: Help vs GK please

Postby HARRYY » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 7:23 am

I have had Trouble first as well (IG perspective).

As you said, you do well in T1 (guess you go at least 1x SCP?).

Id try falcon and entangle + banshee , or entangle + GU nades in T2. maybe the 2.5.1 reapers would be useful?
thats all Id do for T2, then T3 , entangle + dcannon and falcon shield. get Phase-shift to disable only some parts of his army to deal with the other stuff then?

havent played eldar vs. OM, but that would be my Approach for first.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 3:26 pm

I am as well struggling against OM with elder. Banshees don't seem to be very good in this matchup, especially with purgations being in T1 again.

I had my greatest amount of success going for 3xDA's into a Ranger. The trick was to get an overwhelming amount of firepower and large HP pools on my DA's early on by spending on squad leaders, not battle equipment. This allowed me to dominate the IST's on the fringe of combat, shoot down the BC with concentrated fire, and also allowed me to fight cover to cover with SS.
In T1.5, the warlock leader allowed my DA's to tie up and fight Ops semi-successfully and also allowed me to get some good shots onto purgation squads.
The ranger squad really helped me to get into combat against the purgation squad because I would use the kinetic blast to knock them over and quickly tie them up. They also were really nice for softening up the lead model.

T2 got really hard when I relied very heavily on my falcons to anchor my force, and I forgot to put energy shields out for my DAs. That was probably my biggest mistake.

That's probably the big trick with T2 is getting down your shields asap, and keeping your vehicle as a bodyguard. If the OM doesn't grab a vehicle, then you should be free to build dark reapers and absolutely wreck face.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 5:34 pm

Tex that build sounds really weak to a rhino rush imo.

Personally, I think at least one shurican is more or less mandatory in this matchup. Bro cap is so slow now he can't tie them up if you're microing well, and theyre strong against purgation and SS as well. Rangers are also borderline mandatory and counter the entire roster. Try to keep then around shuricans so you can see ops walking up.

You NEED to protect your power at all costs. Keep shurican/rangers around to stop pugs burning it down, if they get near your farm it will be gone in seconds. Try to bleed IST models with your DA's while hero and t1.5 units go after strikes and purgs.

Focus on being mobile with DA and putting on a lot of map pressure while you stay aware of where the purgs are so you can defend gens. If you don't get bashed you can get an early advantage since the good OM units are slow.

Come T2 the OM player is almost certainly going to get a rhino. Its suuuuper cheap and OP right now which is why you need the shurican to tie it up. OM used to rely a lot of the bro cap to deal with setup teams so they got a lot better now that he has no teleport and WaTH speed.

If he went heavy on IST and ops and then got a rhino, you'll want to get warp spiders. They really bleed those units and can give you a good req advantage while making the rhino much less good. If he gets dread, go for falcon and fire dragons. If he went heavy on HI (2 SS or 2 purgs or purifiers) you can get another shurican and dark reapers.

Whatever you do I recommend getting shuricans. They do a lot of work in thus matchup since OM isn't as good at linebreaking. If youre on top of your micro you only need to watch out for nade launcher IST and infiltrated ops.

And above all PROTECT THOSE GENS. The huge difference in Gen bashing speed is what can give OM an overwhelming advantage. You have to counter that with farm defenses and overall map pressure :)
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 3:25 pm

melee vs gk is entirely a lost cause . dont bother with it

as eldar i usually just spam DA's and their warlock leaders. I do this for several reasons.

1 strikes ops and purges hard counter banshees pretty much from the first engagement due to the melee specials. so they are completely unusable without taking huge losses.
2 gk has no jump units which means apart from ist grenade barrage they wont have anything to break up your ranged lines.

3 the hp bonus and damage reduction from DA leaders helps even up the ranged discrepancy.

then i would get a shuri plat just to make the gk upgrade his ist to grenades. and then id probably get a second 1 as well. rangers are cool , but they cant hold ground for shit. and having that little extra redundancy in your suppression line means even if they disrupt-the first one , they will still be held at bay by the second.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 3:56 pm

1-) Double set up teams to shut Brocap down. That fits for most of races.

2-) Jump troops won't have a problem in T1 against OM since they don't have an actual anti-melee option. But you jump squad will bleed a lot in T2 if OM player wishes. Don't make him angry :twisted:

3-) Never let him have power farms, specially don't EVER let him have more than 2 power farms and alwyas bash one of them. You will be never 100% sure if you can handle the OM Terminators, but I am sure that you can't handle the Paladins. I don't mean they are too pwerful but that is like leaving your Eldar oponent to get an Avatar.
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 7:05 pm

Well the first and most important thing you need to know about is that they're called OM. :twisted:
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 7:10 pm

Ehhh, i don’t recommend jump units vs om. more than half of their t1 line up has built in counter initiation or is built to be better in close quarters than they are at range

strikes have high melee damage.
ops have a short range but high ranged damage
purges can safely nuke their own feet and not really hurt much while your jump units feel the pain.

and the bro cap has good base damage and 3 full weapon wargears dedicated to making anything near him dead.

gk terminators arent a huge deal provided your prepair for them early enough. in reality they are only a major issue when you get caught off guard by a fast terminator drop.

in the case of eldar it is actually kind of viable to just start spamming dark reapers vs gk terminators. you will need some way to either improve the mobility of the dark reapers or impede the mobility of the terminators

my suggestions are the locks speed global
the wse entangling webs
the farseers timefield
and a falcon. a falcon is a good option, probably a better buy than a fire prism for the purpose of shutting down terminators. that energy shield is just so important
Adila
Level 3

Postby Adila » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 1:00 pm

Play an aggresive T1 and as Tex said defend your power at all costs with the shuri, in t2 are dark reapers and Fire dragons a good choice with some falcon support, you can pressure the map on t1 better then the OM because of your mobility, try to chunk out the strike squad and then go in with shees, you will loos an head on head fight with your shees if the strike squad get 1-2 specials off ( and they will do ). Dont let him sit with to much power or you will get steamrolled in t3 by termis and palas.
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 11:35 am

The only thing Eldar need to worry about for this patch is purgations slow, that is it. Double strikes can be a nuisance though.

Even when ops were insane Eldar could still easily win this MU but would struggle against OM T3. Once the BC goes down then it's free reign. I'm finding him more and more irrelevant since he lost the speed buff.

The traditional 1-1-1-1 builds that Eldar have work really well. Even doing aspectless builds work too. Try this one;

DA > Banshee > two gens > Shuri > Ranger > Ranger > Pathfinderx2 > T2 > Falcon

Deals with detection issues as well as multi strike squads + the suppression from rangers. It's really shitty to fight against but that's not your problem ;)

It's only good on high req maps though.

Otherwise go for double shuri and a ranger. Da detection is really poor and you need it because of Ops. I notice that you seem to get the first armour a lot, please don't for this build. It's a waste of money for the MU as well as maxing out your farm too early. Try more dual gen rather than triple gen as the timings work out better for floating resources :)
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
ChokoBambus
Level 2

Postby ChokoBambus » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 6:24 pm

How do WG + falcon fare vs GKs?
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 6:42 pm

WG are really hard to handle for me. There are no jump troops to close with them quick, so besides the standard "attack from two directions" that any race can do, I find I need to dedicate my BC to tying them up (and there is no teleporter now, so WATH + Sword or just take the hits). This means he's not tying other things up like the 2x shuri or 3x DA, or getting wailed on by shees, and if you have Entangling web... Also, the only real plasma damage comes from IST, who DA can bleed real hard if I need to focus on WG and other threats. 2 WG is suprisingly good as well.

I don't greatly fear Falcon (unless I get out teched) since Las-Rhino/VA/Purg zone it just fine, and I want Eldar to try to out-attrition me in ranged combat. Though each of those Flachon counters has other T2 eldar units that punish them hard (FD/WS/DR), and thus the circle of life continues.

I think Eldar is at a disadvantage if both sides enter T3 on an even footing (this comes from me playing both sides of this matchup). But there is a lot of game before T3 hits, and Eldar have a wide variety of threats and mobility to bring to bear in T2.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 2:11 am

I honestly think dark reapers are the new "black" in this matchup. I'm going to try and illustrate how this works, but before I get caught up in a bunch of theory craft, I need to make it work first.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 2:48 am

Tex wrote:I honestly think dark reapers are the new "black" in this matchup. I'm going to try and illustrate how this works, but before I get caught up in a bunch of theory craft, I need to make it work first.

Having utilized Dark Reapers against Ordo Malleus quite a few times now, I can say that they really pack a punch. The range increase is also really helpful since you can avoid bleed a little better. The new buff in T3 also makes them even better against the almost inevitable Paladins/Terminators since their Inferno dmg deals extra dmg vs SHI.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 4:27 am

Sweet!

Yeah, I didn't get the matches that I had wanted to this evening, but I envision it in a 1v1 scenario sort of like this:

T1---> DA, Shee, GWT, Ranger(optional), supportive wargear ---> defensive play around gens with gates if possible
T2---> position GWT at back to counter obligatory incoming rhino, time brightlance upgrade to coincide with first DR squad coming out, thus, your suppression has moved over to DR's, and you have a debuff and AV source. If you have rangers, setup an ambush with holofield.
T2.5-->Counter purchase what the OM goes for, or push the envelope and buy a second DR squad. 2 DR's should be critical mass, and I can't possibly see a OM combination being able to push into this, let alone stand up to it as it pushes against the OM. The sight range from rangers should make this super powerful, and your only issue would be a vehicle flank.
The second DR squad could also be swapped out for a FD for safety/utility, but I don't think you will hit the critical mass on ranged fire.
T3--> no need I think? Get more reapers or a wraithguard and end the game
ChokoBambus
Level 2

Postby ChokoBambus » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 5:56 am

I have tried reapers. But that means giving GKs the initiative in tier 2. But perhaps in the new patch..

I have, however, found that banshees are absolutely worthless in this matchup.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 6:02 am

ChokoBambus wrote:I have tried reapers. But that means giving GKs the initiative in tier 2. But perhaps in the new patch..

I have, however, found that banshees are absolutely worthless in this matchup.

You seem to find banshee worthless in any context :P

Since the changes in the purgation ability they have a lot more utility here. Try using them again.

@Tex agree with your analysis. OM is reaaaaally bad at fighting ranged superiority units like autocannons and dark reapers, with very little pushing power besides the rhino. Plasma dread might have some chance but not if you're on your toes. As long as you have rangers around to stop ops reapers are absolutely dominant in this matchup.
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 7:10 am

I'm currently constructing a post about some Eldar stuff in which DR's are a side focus but since the new patch there are some adjustments that I need to make for relevancy purposes.

Dark Reapers are actually really good vs GK's but they have to be used in conjunction with the Falcon for them to be a real menace. There in which lies the problem with Dark Reapers I think. With the las Rhino, Falcon preservation is much harder as it will near 2 shot your Falcon from the front. Transport micro with DR's is insanely good against GK since in most cases you'll have two shurikens. Meaning that in the likely chance that a Rhino is around one can still provide suppression and AV for the other.

If you only get one then that's much too light and you'll have a really tough fight on your hands. Since Rhino + all the stuff that comes in T2 for OM is really beefy
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
ChokoBambus
Level 2

Postby ChokoBambus » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 8:59 am

@Crew:

I find banshees great in Eldar mirrors, vs Orks, vs Nids and solid vs Chaos. They are, however, bad in match ups where their shelf life is limited and the enemy has excelent scaling units or very strong tier 3. Vs IG, I find guardians and shurikens into falcon and WG a dependable strat and that there is no need for banshees.

The point I was trying to make every time I do talk about banshees is that due to lethality nerfs and changes to stuff around them, their shelf life is shortened. And they do not have the utility nor the scaling to go into a late game. Perhaps the flow of the game can be weird and they can level up, but in certain matchups they fall off significantly. Which is a pity as it is a high cost high pop squad.

As for vs GKs, well flamer squads/operatives into rhinos make them obsolete. Furthermore, the strike squad can go toe to toe with them with minimal support. At least that has been my experience.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 3:36 pm

Shees play a lot differently against OM then they do against SM. Tacs may be juicy targets, but SS are much less vulnerable. It's relevant to consider that the melee damage, ranged fire and health of SS/Tacs are so close that I largely consider them the same, the big difference is the melee skill. Without those specials, shees are in a much worse place, which is where the problems come. Instead, shees are there to give the BC and IST a real hard time (and to a lesser but relevant extent, ops). Unless the BC gets a special, a pack of shees on him is death, much like fighting a HT. Unlike most other melee tanky commander, BC lacks a T1 wargear that makes him "immune" to melee squads. Use this to your advantage!

IST hit harder then scouts, but they are slow, don't get melee resistance and their CC abilities are very dodgable (nades and nades) making them generally better against ranged squads / setup. Shees that get in on them are going to have a field day.
Ops have speed 6.5 and stealth, but their dps is kindda weak now and their stun nade still does friendly fire. When the ops shows itself to start dpsing, fleet the shees that you hopefully kept in reserve and charge them (or disrupt with a kinetic pulse / commander wargear of your choice), they will likely be gone for the rest of the fight and bleed if they are not careful.
I suspect even Purgs will be in a bit of trouble after 2.5.1 (havn't had a chance to play yet). If you can even slightly distract them, shees leap will trigger before they get suppressed, closing the distance and tying them up. Unlike setup teams, purgs have a rather short range to suppress, and shee's leap is especially relavant to countering this. Plus Purg dps alone (unlike a setup) won't insta-gib models in front of it. So if you are doing a real initiation with your full army, you can get some real work done - and this is before we count commander.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 5:10 pm

ChokoBambus wrote:The point I was trying to make every time I do talk about banshees is that due to lethality nerfs and changes to stuff around them, their shelf life is shortened. And they do not have the utility nor the scaling to go into a late game. Perhaps the flow of the game can be weird and they can level up, but in certain matchups they fall off significantly. Which is a pity as it is a high cost high pop squad.
And the point almost everyone else is and have been making is that this is not the case :)
This is also not one of those many shee threads.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 1:47 pm

banshees have always been a bad buy vs races with a ton of disruption / aoe / focus fire / high hp per model squads.

even when they had high kill potential and facing races with units they were good against .. banshees were an inherently risky buy. take sm. even though banshees could out right decimate a tac squad. all it would take to change that would be a single scout squad hanging behind the tac and a shotgun blast.

That was all it took to pretty much hard counter them. It has always been a game of " how the hell do i get these bitches in melee safely). And i would argue that now that they arent as good at retreat kills .. that whole game of babysitting the squishy glass cannon melee unit is less and less appealing.

Make no mistake. there is a point where they simply fall off the map. maybe the opponent has too many heavy tanks or walker. maybe the opponent has terminators. maybe there are nobs. the banshees cant really do anything to those units. and even back in the good ole days is was all about softening those units up and getting the banshees in when said units were going to retreat soon anyway. since their retreat kill potential has fallen off... it kind of puts them in an awkward situation. A situation made worse by the fact that it might just be a better idea to save up for a seer council instead of going heavy into banshees... the seer council is not that much more expensive than an upgraded shee squad and technically has twice the base hp on 1 less model. and even then i would hesitate using them against full hp nobs /clawminators or gk terminators
plus there is the fact that a few vehicles in the game got minor speed buffs... putting pretty much any melee units (banshees included) in a worse spot vs them
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 10:30 pm

So this is now a banshees thread? Can a mod change the name? :)

saltychipmunk wrote:banshees have always been a bad buy vs races with a ton of disruption / aoe / focus fire / high hp per model squads.
No they haven't. They have always been one of the best counter initiators.
saltychipmunk wrote:even when they had high kill potential and facing races with units they were good against .. banshees were an inherently risky buy. take sm. even though banshees could out right decimate a tac squad. all it would take to change that would be a single scout squad hanging behind the tac and a shotgun blast.

That was all it took to pretty much hard counter them. It has always been a game of " how the hell do i get these bitches in melee safely). And i would argue that now that they arent as good at retreat kills .. that whole game of babysitting the squishy glass cannon melee unit is less and less appealing.
Banshees still have a high kill potential. Don't compare them to the bullshit state they used to be in, that's not useful.
And all it would take for shees to still rape the tacs is also a 2nd unit from the Eldar side to deal with the shotty scouts...
saltychipmunk wrote:Make no mistake. there is a point where they simply fall off the map. maybe the opponent has too many heavy tanks or walker. maybe the opponent has terminators. maybe there are nobs. the banshees cant really do anything to those units. and even back in the good ole days is was all about softening those units up and getting the banshees in when said units were going to retreat soon anyway. since their retreat kill potential has fallen off... it kind of puts them in an awkward situation. A situation made worse by the fact that it might just be a better idea to save up for a seer council instead of going heavy into banshees... the seer council is not that much more expensive than an upgraded shee squad and technically has twice the base hp on 1 less model. and even then i would hesitate using them against full hp nobs /clawminators or gk terminators
plus there is the fact that a few vehicles in the game got minor speed buffs... putting pretty much any melee units (banshees included) in a worse spot vs them
Make no mistake, there is no such point. There are still going to be other tier units around ...
Maybe the opponent has terminators? Then you want your shees chopping them up...
Don't use them vs T3 melee units without support. Nobody should expect that to work at all, duh?!
Aetherion
Level 2

Postby Aetherion » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 2:59 am

To bring it back to OM vs Eldar, in T2 the strike squad justicar can energy burst the banshees to prevent from coming in for a little while, how significant is this?. Also, is one DR (along with the stuff in t1) sufficient to stop say purifiers with Ward (with a charging BC too)
CREED FOR THE PLAN GOD
ELDRAD FOR THE DICK THRONE
just as planned
ChokoBambus
Level 2

Postby ChokoBambus » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 6:53 am

I have found that banshees are pretty much worthless vs OM/GK. Reapers on the other hand are great.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 3:32 pm

Dark Riku wrote:So this is now a banshees thread? Can a mod change the name? :)

eldar has been prominently featured as the perspective being used to talk about how to deal with gk. banshees are 1 of 2 power free options eldar get

so of course they will be mentioned. just because its horseis thoroughly beaten to death doesnt change the fact that they exist and that they have clear disadvantages that might not be ideal against a race like gk. which features heavy amounts of melee specialists and disruption

Banshees still have a high kill potential. Don't compare them to the bullshit state they used to be in, that's not useful.
And all it would take for shees to still rape the tacs is also a 2nd unit from the Eldar side to deal with the shotty scouts...

talking about them now,
saltychipmunk wrote:Make no mistake. there is a point where they simply fall off the map. maybe the opponent has too many heavy tanks or walker. maybe the opponent has terminators. maybe there are nobs. the banshees cant really do anything to those units. and even back in the good ole days is was all about softening those units up and getting the banshees in when said units were going to retreat soon anyway. since their retreat kill potential has fallen off... it kind of puts them in an awkward situation. A situation made worse by the fact that it might just be a better idea to save up for a seer council instead of going heavy into banshees... the seer council is not that much more expensive than an upgraded shee squad and technically has twice the base hp on 1 less model. and even then i would hesitate using them against full hp nobs /clawminators or gk terminators
Make no mistake, there is no such point. There are still going to be other tier units around ...
Maybe the opponent has terminators? Then you want your shees chopping them up...
Don't use them vs T3 melee units without support. Nobody should expect that to work at all, duh?!

ok.. so dont use them vs that one unit gk likes to spam .... in a thread about dealing with gk......

t1 light melee infantry can get to a point in the game where all they do is bleed resources. sure it might be unfair to frame it in a way that is exclusively focusing on banshees .... but well banshees are kind of all eldar has ... so yeah going to talk about them.

And my point isnt just about "dont use them against t3 melee units without support" it is more like... even with support .. keep them the fuck away from t3 heavy hitters.

So just to honor your jibe at this being a banshee thread. ill end with this
use dire avengers instead unless your a eldar hero with an effective method of disabling units , they are safer , cheaper , easier to use and are far less punishing on the bleed.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 12:58 am

I'm with Riku on this one. Ffs can there be one Eldar thread that won't be completely consumed by shee talk?

Stay on topic please.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 4:54 pm

Just did a match as Warp Spider Exarch.

- Banshees are AWSOME vs OM. Threats enough Bro Cap himself. Handles him really good in T1 and remember, not all Bro Caps are going hammer in T2 so still a good threat for the rest of the game. Also, counters every infantry that GK has. It becames a problem when they are knockbacked by IST or snared by Purgation but I am okay with that. Put some support on them and carry on with other Eldar heroes.

- Falcon is more practicle than Wraithlord.

- GWT exists to be countered but still best anti-BroCap unit.

- WSE is good at forcing at melee on IST. Keeps them away from firing those grenade launchers.

- I have nothing against Paladins. Help me !
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 6:06 pm

firatwithin wrote:- I have nothing against Paladins. Help me !

The most obvious first: Don't try to melee them down from full health. You will most definitely lose. Dark Reapers deal good damage to them from really far away. If you managed to get T3, you can purchase the Exarch to deal 15% more damage with them. I am guessing, you are playing the WSE against GK. Try to control them with the Web. If he goes in to deep, punish it by really focusing them down, as they can not retreat any longer. Entangle + Dark Reaper focus fire + Seer Council to finish them off will do the trick. Banshees can help out too 8-)
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 6:27 pm

basically what noobus said , webs reapers and the seer council. id get webs regardless of terminators considering how many units gk has that require a great deal of movement to work

(ops need to move in close . web em)
(ist with gl need to retreat alot , web em)
(purges need to be blose , web em)
(bro cap, webs)
(purifiers , webs)

Return to “Strategy Discussion”