Ork T1 Help

Strategy and L2P topics.
Epostle
Level 1

Ork T1 Help

Postby Epostle » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 1:47 pm

Ok, so first of all I would like to say Hi :D

Now for the real thread. So I am having trouble using Ork T1. It seems that no matter what I do, I cannot get a good exchange T1 for the life of me. I usually use Warboss, so my usual opening is 1 Slugga 2 Shoota. I send the Shootas in before I bring the Sluggas/Warboss whenever I can, and usually, I can win an engagement from time to time. The problem comes in Mid T1.

IG: I can't stand sentinels. Sentinels are the single most annoying unit I ever have to deal with. I've tried Shootas(big shootas)/Lootas but I need t2 in order to get AV. If I go triple shoota(big shoota), I would have downed 60 Power, and then would make my Shootas somewhat of a liability, due to not needing to lose them (and let's face it, new player + micro doesn't happen.) Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, idk, but every time I face IG, I get stomped. It's not a matter if they're good or not, I get rompled.

SM: For the life of me, it takes everything including a miracle to get in range of those tanky bunch of POS. Shootas, even in cover, can't handle anything as I try to move Sluggas/Boss in.

Tyranids: Not too much of a problem. If I get flamers I'm fairly ok.

Chaos: No problem until I get to fight Plague Marine and his stupid Nurgle worship. I've heard Painboy works when trying to mitigate some of the free damage they get in on me, but I haven't tried this. Can someone confirm?

Eldar: Wailing banshees... the end. Seriously, I do everything I can to suppress them, and keep them off my shootas, even using Boss. Banshee screams wreak havoc when I try to kite with my shootas, making me force a retreat, which by that time, banshees are picking my bones.

So, all in all, I think my real issue is just lack of playtime, which makes less micro and worse decisions. However, if anyone could at least help me with some of this, especially giving me micro tips, aka, signing multiple units to a single key, is it worth it, and stuff like that would be most enjoyable. Even if you have to get back to the basics, that's fine.
Epostle
Level 1

Re: Ork T1 Help

Postby Epostle » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 2:09 pm

Also, I think I may have posted this in the wrong thread... just kind of realising it now. So if you need to remove it, that is fine :D
Narcolepsy
Level 2

Postby Narcolepsy » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 6:14 pm

@Lews Therin is probably your man to talk to about early game Ork stuff. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1249

As far as I know though from playing him (a lot) is it's a whole bunch about the synergies of units and commander/global abilities. Orks "out of the box" are pretty crappy, but when you use 'ard boyz, use da choppaz and such they turn into a steamroller- it's the timing that's the killer.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 12:23 pm

well for PC , it is good to rush him early since most of the tume PCs go double csm. if you only see one tic engage the pc heor with the warboss to tie him up and force the tics to engage and then try to get a stomp off on them (they will try to trick you into using it early) if they take the bate finish them off with the sluggas and them split the warboss and sluggas between csm and PC. even if the war boss is at low hp the pc does balls for damage in melee and non supported csm will be in real trouble vs 2 shoota boys 1 slugga or 2 slugga 1 shoota.

pain boy to me most of the time feels like a noob trap. he is cool in a way because he can tie a squad up and heal but he doesnt technically offer any strategic utility. he wont really counter a setup squad (something orks ..especially warboss struggle with) and he wont really provide area denial. rather he just makes what you already have better.

But most of the time you need to spend resources getting to that "already have" part and run out of money long before the painboy is in the picture.
Interdiction
Level 2

Postby Interdiction » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 7:28 pm

Focus fire the sentinel with shootas and time abilities well, I'm assuming you play Warboss so he has a nice variety of gear now to fight IG with, the Kustom Shoota grants him some insane ranged DPS considering he's normally a melee hero. Sluggas should get burnas for the health increase and awesome damage they do(burnas are an awesome buy regardless for the most part, I believe that the burna models count as power weapons, no idea if that changed though!). UYC and 'Ard Boyz are INSANELY good, and honestly other than the sentinel defeating IG in t1 I never have a problem most of the time.

Banshees CAN be annoying but Shootas can suppress banshees after they wail and UYC and 'Ard Boyz again helps a lot. Suppress them AFTER they suppress you though, as you'll recover first and wipe those pesky banshees while they are suppressed. ;) If they are rushing your shootas don't kite, just suppress them anyway, move in your sluggas or boss, let them scream, then after the scream rush the one you left out to finish them off since their scream is on cooldown. I prefer rushing in the boss last because his stomp scatters banshees and he can pick them off.:)

The painboy does help mitigate damage but this MU is painful for many match-ups in t1, not just Orks, t2 you get stuff that can deal with it. I always just tried to get to t2 ASAP while not forfeiting too much.

Hope I helped a little bit.:)
The Codex Astartes does not support this action? Well, F*ck you, I'm a Black Dragon!!!
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Tue 20 Oct, 2015 7:16 pm

how many videos of better players than you have you watched?

I play a ridiculous amount of warboss so you can see what I do.

https://www.youtube.com/c/batpimpn

IG is the worst match up for orks unless you use EVERY single advantage you have. Always using Aiming wats dat. Always upgrading your hero with upgrades. shootas and sluggas and making a 4th unit. Lootas are always great. In t2 its easier because of stikks, tankbustas and especially the WB.

if you search the strategy forum you can see this question has been answered already.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1446&p=36587&hilit=Warboss#p36587

here is a video of Warboss VS IG and commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYDqU8Vo03w
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Tue 20 Oct, 2015 7:35 pm

From your post it looks like you aren't buying enough units. Apologies if I got the wrong impression. For retail you would need 4 units in tier one (5 sometimes) and for elite mod generally five (you can risk 4 occasionally on a tier two rush but will probably get hurt).

Edit - typed while batpimp posting, his advice better than mine!

I have really bad micro so this is what I try to do to cope with my incompetence:

If you have two shootas upgrade one squad with big shootas and one with nob. Save upgrading more till tier two. To deal with sentinel I occasionally buy a third shoota squad and attach it to one of the other squads with a hotkey. Generally you want to avoid blobbing so separate hot keys is good but 3 squads is too much for my micro. Add a nob to the third squad as the role is to enhance survival. I often leave it upgraded in anticipation of losing it In tier two as you don't want 3 shootas then. Overall a loota is better than a third shoota but if you forget about them you will leave them somewhere set up and they will get killed

Aimin' wats that reduces damage output drastically so you don't do much damage while using it or for 7 seconds after. Also it doesn't stack. Have one squad use AWT while the other does the damage. If both squads use AWT even one after the other then you are effectively putting out no damage. get out of there!

Always use the same hot keys for your squads 2=sluggas (or nobs Once built) 3,4 = shootas 5= set up team. I put vehicles on 0 (or sometimes weird boy ) to avoid confusion. I struggles to do more than 1-5 so using 9 and 0 helps my brain micro.

Focus fire the sentinel if it is not being repaired. If it is being repaired focus fire the guardsmen and try and get your sluggas or boss into disrupt them. Switch targets as your opponent turns repair on and off. If he has a turret don't fight him in that spot.

Against IG you will need to use your boss to block their hero while you focus fire sentinel. You need to force it off or kill it. Make him repair it to slow him down.This doesn't necessarily apply to against other races where you may want to be more offensive

Try buying one upgrade and one upgrade only for your boss in tier one to save power. I buy one upgrade per tier but you can deck him out in tier two.

Tier one put down two nodes and one gen. More power later. Main ork strategy is to burn your opponents gens to slow them down so you can get to tier two first. burnas or shootas are good at this.

Sluggas cannot approach marines or eldar front on or they get shot up too much to fight. Be patient. Be more patient and make a flanking move. Keep threatening it till you pull one off

Space marines you can't just shoot when they are in cover. Focus fire scouts so they are forced off and there is one less squad then use melee to deal with tacs. Harder when he has a dev squad which you will need to either jump and tie up with storms or flank from outside of the suppression arc with boss. Aiming watz that can suppress a dev squad from long range so you can shut them down while taking little damage and get your sluggas in.

Note that storms are very fragile in tier one, don't leave them taking damage or they will die. They are better with levelling and a nob leader

Focus fire banshees whenever you can, they are expensive and killing a few will slow down and hurt your opponent. The main thing vs eldar is anticipating when your opponent is going to do something nasty like get banshees into your rear for a kill on retreat. Anticipate and back off so he can't get you.

You can try this. Have your boss just behind your shootas far enough he can't see the boss till he comes in. As banshees charge suppress with one shoota. Once that wears off bring in boss and stomp banshees then get your squads outa there

Banshees become horrific when they level up. Try not to let them get early squad wipes. If they do they will be levelled up so just run away from them the whole game and hope you can get a lucky kill

Tankbhstas are a great unit and the ability is brilliant but it will drain all your red so don't spam the ability. Early game spend all your red as fast as you can, late game save the red for a well-timed call the boys

Shootas can dish out lots of damage but they can't take it so well. In a prolonged firefight your opponent will be lining up a nasty ability or grenade barrage after 3-5 seconds so you need to think about dodging to a different but of cover. The exception is against eldar warlock who will open with a nasty ability so you need to be dodging till he fires it.When harassing a shoota squad will start losing models after 5 seconds when in green cover (about 3 in the open) so to harass don't just stand there. Fire for a count of p3-5 then pull away or you will lose models just to drain a small amount of HP off a capping tag squad
Epostle
Level 1

Postby Epostle » Sun 25 Oct, 2015 1:02 am

I've been practicing the stuff you said and I've seen slight improvements. I guess it's just gonna take a while before I get the full swing of things, coming into the game late and what not. Thanks for the advice though :D
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 10:31 am

Yeah. Usually it takes several hundreds of hours for ppl to get decent in this game.
#noobcodex

Return to “Strategy Discussion”