Tyranids in 3s?

Strategy and L2P topics.
HiveSpirit
Level 2

Tyranids in 3s?

Postby HiveSpirit » Fri 25 Sep, 2015 11:41 am

Hello,
ive gotten rekted alot latley in 3on3 vs ppl with win ratio of 3:1, they seem pretty good atleast. These opponents also seem to play in a setup team.

So, here i am sobbing because the 1on1 tactics doesnt do the trick for me. In most maps i dont have that extra space on the sides to flank or pressure my opponent.

*Raveners are squishy and easily get kited (they pull back, kill ravs and setup again).
*Termagaunts arnt that effective vs the CSM and TSM.
*BSWB gets supressed by devs/ havocs/ WST.

Im a bit lost, i dont have to many concrete examples because i seem to loose whatever i try to do vs these more experienced players.

Help me =)

Btw, is RA's acid splatter splash damage, 20 dmg per model in radius 5, or 20dmg in total divided to models in radius 5?
Interested in Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade (FAQ)? Register with this link to get 4,000 RTP's for free.
Support EC with a Sub/ Vote/ Up/ Hype at: Reddit , mmorpg twitter.com/40kcrusade youtube.com/channel/UCxH-BQF2CRQV6lXTf41xEeg
hiveminion
Level 3

Re: Tyranids in 3s?

Postby hiveminion » Fri 25 Sep, 2015 1:22 pm

Nids have a lot of problems in most 3v3 maps due to condensed lanes and with half of their roster being dedicated melee. They also tend to attract a surplus of damaging AoE abilities so you're generally on the backfoot in big fights.

Basically you have a few decent builds in the infamous ranged blob o'doom either with Tyrant or RA, or a double Zoan/double TG build. Melee builds with Genestealers can work on some maps as well (open maps like Estia for example).

Early game you can get totally locked down by double set-up teams or turrets. IG in particular can be a nightmare to face in a lane. But in T2, you can spam Rippers pretty easily to overcome the worst of set-up team abuse. If you get Raveners in T1, always give them Devourers as they can contibute to fights BEFORE the jump, after the jump they can still tie stuff up in melee, but you'll usually want to retreat them very quickly.

Termagants should not engage in firefights with TSM or CSM unless you catch them out of cover, don't be afraid to surprise them with a crippling poison when they're trying to kite Hormas. You can easily force retreats that way. I tend not to get the Barbed Strangler to save power for a quick T2.

T3 is where the real nightmare begins I find. Fexes are countered hard by tanks. The Doom goes down very easily to any kind of jump unit with knock back and Spirit Leech is a deathtrap ability since you can't retreat out of it. My preferred purchase is a T3 Lictor as it helps with ninja caps, works well vs set-up teams and can work decently well vs vehicles especially with a Zoan snare. Swarmlord is great support but very expensive and needs constant support to save it from snaring AV.
HiveSpirit
Level 2

Postby HiveSpirit » Fri 25 Sep, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks, ill reflect upon it and experiment.

Another thing that seems hard for nids is the cover part. Getting cover for 8-20 termgaunts is.. hard, and their dmg output in buildings.. *StartsToCry*.

Three models is so easy to get in yellow/ green cover, those models wont bleed as much as i do =(

Garrisoned units can be an itch, specially devs, were you need to get so close with your BSWB or SM, and the SM will probably get shot down by opponents other units dodging/ kiting, before the SM gets of a 2nd or 3rd detonation.

Walking into those situations wont be in your favor, maybe one should go elsewhere then, help a team mate or alike, and force them out of their comfy seats/ defence position.
Interested in Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade (FAQ)? Register with this link to get 4,000 RTP's for free.
Support EC with a Sub/ Vote/ Up/ Hype at: Reddit , mmorpg twitter.com/40kcrusade youtube.com/channel/UCxH-BQF2CRQV6lXTf41xEeg
Pega
Level 2

Postby Pega » Fri 25 Sep, 2015 6:49 pm

Floid has been using tyranids in 3s and he is kicking my ass with them.

He does 3x termagaunts. Brood nests are very powerful because they keep streaming tyrnaids as well as healing them up for fights. Its actually pretty hard to push through a nid army with brood nest support.

With improved synapse and warp field, HT is pretty damn tough and i think he is almost impossible to take down. Once you get some levels, with HT synpase and brood nests, termagaunts will win out fights because of their low costs.

He goes zoan and venom cannon in t2, which is a very good combo too. Again, the healing aura of zoan is not to be sniffed at.

T3 carnifex. Play conservatively and they should last you a while.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sat 26 Sep, 2015 12:07 pm

Leveled up Zoans are excellent support for Fexes as well. Anyway as Pega mentioned, I would suggest to check out how Floid plays. Ranged blob of dooooooooom with nest support seems like the way to go as Nids in 3v3.
#noobcodex
HiveSpirit
Level 2

Postby HiveSpirit » Sun 27 Sep, 2015 12:11 am

I tried Floids build, didnt go well, got owned my melee and cc/ knock back on blob, and aoe stuff. Ofcourse, needs some polishing, ill try it again with your tips. Would love to see floid do some 1s, those who existed were from an earlier EM version so couldnt watch them =/ But ive seen like 5 games with him in 3s. From the games i saw with Floid in 3s he didnt fair well (sure might been circumstances or team mates loosing on their side aswell).

What about gen bashin in general for tyranids? Just wait for t2 (like how it is with dubble setup team)?
Codex

Postby Codex » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 5:03 pm

Look for 1v1 casts online, I'm sure there are games floating about that are reasonably up to date.
Righteousness does not make right
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 6:45 pm

Here floid uses it against me in a 3v3 on avensa

https://youtu.be/63JK39tPTns

here starts at the 33:48ish mark

pretty powerful strat as you can see.
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Floid
Level 2

Postby Floid » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 12:36 am

First of all, sorry for my bad english. I'm pretty sure that nids can beat everything if you play them with armony. The HT is the hero with the best BO's capacity to start with nids. Lictor is the second, and RA... well, If your enemy knows how to use a set up team youre in troubles.
Floid
Level 2

Postby Floid » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 12:37 am

Try to create specific BO's. If you're in a "line", wait to see wich hero are you facing off. For example, against noisy FC, 3 termas are excellent. Noisy usually goes for Heavy bolter if i go 3 terma, If i can flank I'll save for wargear and upgrade terma and horma. In T2 crushing claw and invulnerable. When i face noisy, FC is the real problem, so if i can kill it, things are easier. I have to say, that i prefer to speak about players, not races or BO's specifically.
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 6:01 pm

Floid wrote:I have to say, that i prefer to speak about players, not races or BO's specifically.

Me too. For example when I play against Floid, I always set my immolator to medium rare, because it makes gaunts crispy.
Floid
Level 2

Postby Floid » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 4:52 pm

If i'm facing Hans Moleman with eldar WL, or Yaay with Mek, I usually go 2 termas one toxin sacs and fast WBBS. then rending talons and charge . Do not use ur HT like a tank, he is VERY important, and he must be with your army if possible or convenient. Use flanks, control your area, play Poker. If you're not sure you aren't going to win, wait, look at your teammates, try to create your "momentum". Well, as I was saying, BSWB is amazing against orks and, "melodramatic pause" eldar! For defense, force them to move back and forward, they will blob like fishes and then you can suppress them. then counter-attak with the HT AND the BSWB. In t2 go TG and use it with BSWB in the same group (nº2 key for me), brutal against melee tanky heroes if they break your line.
HiveSpirit
Level 2

Postby HiveSpirit » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks! Ill check out some of your replays.
Floid
Level 2

Postby Floid » Tue 20 Oct, 2015 6:57 am

I uploaded some replays, some of then quite old, take a look and hf
HiveSpirit
Level 2

Postby HiveSpirit » Tue 20 Oct, 2015 12:24 pm

Awesome =) Ty

If anyones reading, you can find floids replays here: http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/r ... _id=158388

Return to “Strategy Discussion”