How do i deal with the WSE *

Strategy and L2P topics.
Pieofreckoning
Level 1

How do i deal with the WSE *

Postby Pieofreckoning » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 5:07 am

i myself usually play tyranids, either hive tyrant or lictor alpha. but the one commander i cant seem to deal with is the WSE. i try to play aggressive against him early but constant back capping cripples my economy. i send squads to stop him from decapping or recap. and they just get bled to hell. i just dont know what to do against him and it usually costs me the game.
Forestradio
Level 5

Re: How do i deal with the WSE *

Postby Forestradio » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 5:15 am

Attached a replay of myself (Hive Tyrant) vs Void Weaver (WSE).

It's kinda a sloppy game (especially on my part), but maybe it can be useful idk. I do 2x terma into ravs, weaver does 2x DA into 2x shury

Generally speaking if the wse (or any harassment hero) is on your side of the map, bleeding your cappers and decapping your points, blob your own units together, push for the opponent's gen farm, and (de)cap his own natural VP/req.

What tier especially are you struggling in? Any specific wargear or build order the wse is using that gives you a hard time?
Pieofreckoning
Level 1

Postby Pieofreckoning » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 5:30 am

im usually struggling alot in tier 1. but after reading your advice i think my problem is just falling into what he wants me to do. bleed heavily and have the back capping stop any offensive. and the entangling web on my hormagaunts/warriors is very annoying.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 6:06 am

pro tip:

When the wse teleports backward into green cover (from being forced off a cap or whatever), avoid eating his shit by walking forward. Move backward out of his line of sight and force him to waste energy/time in order to engage again.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 8:44 am

My experiance ; WSE struggles agains big tanky melee heroes, specially Chaos Lord. He is not durable, so, you have to became durable.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 5:12 am

firatwithin wrote:My experiance ; WSE struggles agains big tanky melee heroes, specially Chaos Lord. He is not durable, so, you have to became durable.

Double DAs and Entangling Web including a Shuriken may change your mind. Even the ever-face-checking Brother-Captain will have to yield to this combo.
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 12:01 pm

I guess it all depends on what hero you're fighting as.

Keep in mind that Eldar's detection is primarily rangers and the WSE is a hero that needs shurikens to be really effective. Eldar don't necessarily need the hero to be with the army for engagements and since the teleport is probably his strongest asset prewargear, the shuriken is required.

My advice here is that exploit the lack of detection that Eldar have in the early game and you'll do pretty well as the LA. You also tend to have a much bigger force as Nids in the early game so be sure to be as aggressive as possible with spores since shuris are a top priority and fleet will come later.

As the HT it's a harder fight. Here you're looking to win each engagement (which is the case anyway) and put on the VP pressure. Your eco is probably the best in the game so you can afford a few back caps here or there. It's also very likely to be fighting two shurikens so ravs are a really good idea in this instance.
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 12:25 pm

Dire Avengers Warlock leader detects too though.
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 2:54 pm

Dark Riku wrote:Dire Avengers Warlock leader detects too though.

This is true but it's far too short to really count as a detector in my opinion. From what I've seen so far DAs have to be really close to detect anything and by that time it's too late. It's good for detecting IED's so you don't walk over them but definitely not a LA, invis scouts, Kommando Nob, etc.
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 4:37 pm

PhatE wrote:DAs have to be really close to detect anything and by that time it's too late.

They are a good way to guard your Shrunken. Maybe GWT may have a chance to kill, at least suppress it when it arrives.
Kvn
Level 3

Postby Kvn » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 5:34 pm

firatwithin wrote: They are a good way to guard your Shrunken. Maybe GWT may have a chance to kill, at least suppress it when it arrives.

Just throwing it out there, but the Exarch/Warlock leader has a detection range of 15 which is outranged by pretty much everything used to counter setup teams (grenades/flesh hooks/leap/so on). Same range is used for the psudo-detection of the Sentinel, which is never really thought of as a hard counter to stealth, at least so far as I have seen. So long as the scouts, Lictor, etc. are being microed, they should never really get close enough to the DAs to be spotted. Unless they want to at least.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 6:52 pm

Just throwing it out there, you could position your DA more to the front behind a perfect cover shield.
Kvn
Level 3

Postby Kvn » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 6:59 pm

Dark Riku wrote:Just throwing it out there, you could position your DA more to the front behind a perfect cover shield.

And then the stealth unit goes around them. Unless you've got 3x DA all with Exarch to form a screen, they really shouldn't have all that much issue. I wasn't trying to annoy anybody, merely point out the exact range of their detection in comparison to other units.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 7:09 pm

I know, and if you are defending a position you should be moving around with the DA to avoid flanks, or position them in a better way, it's not as easy as with other detectors, but the option is there. Or get rangers and be done with it.

Return to “Strategy Discussion”